You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-02 01:29:40

jguest

Firefly Media Server - Won't start!

I had a lot of troubles getting it installed but finally got it working yesterday when messing with the daemons. Yesterday all I had to do was start them up in this order /etc/rc.d/dbus start, /etc/rc.d/avahi-daemon start, and /etc/rc.d/mt-daapd start and it worked, showed up in iTunes and everything. Today I can't get it to work with anything and google is producing no solutions. sad

When I try to start the mt-daapd daemon This is the result

[root@Pogoplug rc.d]# /etc/rc.d/mt-daapd start
:: Starting DAAP server                                                  [BUSY] mt-daapd: client.c:778: avahi_client_errno: Assertion `client' failed.
/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd: line 6:   630 Aborted                 /usr/sbin/mt-daapd

When trying to start dbus I get this:

[root@Pogoplug rc.d]# /etc/rc.d/dbus start
:: Starting D-BUS system messagebus                                      [BUSY] Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
                                                                         [FAIL]

When trying to stop it it just says FAIL (no error message).

If I try to start or stop avahi-daemon it just fails. Anyone have any advice. At this point there is nothing set to boot when the system does but I would like for that eventually to be the case.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! smile

#2 2010-04-02 14:44:58

jguest

Re: Firefly Media Server - Won't start!

Bump, anyone got any idea? Did I post this in the right area? Any other forums I can try?

http://pastebin.com/A6cUvgUc When I delete the PID file it will start up, but when I add these three to daemons in this order (... dbus avahi-daemon mt-daapd ...) and restart it has the same error as above. It looks as if I'll have to delete the PID file after every restart and restart them in that order. How can I fix this?

Last edited by jguest (2010-04-02 15:08:33)

#3 2010-04-03 01:48:03

timm

What messages, if any, are in the error files in /var/log?

#4 2010-04-03 03:07:46

jguest

I don't think there is any, but I'm not positive how to check. Under /var/log there is no entries for mt-daap/avahi/or dbus. There is a dmesg. Obviously I'm a noob so sorry if I'm not being helpful in response. Thank you for trying to help me out! I really want to get this working.

#5 2010-04-03 14:56:18

timm

That's ok, I still feel like a noobie, and post questions regularly in that forum.  In fact, there is probably a better way of doing what we are trying to do here. tongue

I generally start with /var/log/everything.log and messages.log.  If you use grep, you can search for the string concerning your program.  For example,

cat /var/log/everything.log |grep avahi

will show you all the lines with "avahi" that are in the everything.log.  If there's nothing there, try others.  You can do the same with dmesg, with

dmesg |grep avahi

You can also scan through for issues with

less /var/log/everything.log

or

cat /var/log/everything.log |less

Let us know what you find.

Board footer