You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-11 22:41:21

psrivats

Applications do not detect network status

I have a peculiar problem with my internet connection. If my network is 'on' ie. if I have a valid IP (for instance, say through a wired connection) when gnome starts, then everything works properly. But consider this scenario - I am not a wired connection when I login (for instance, lets say I need to connected to a wifi connection).

If I start any application (browser, weather screenlet, pidgin) before I connect to the wireless network, they remain disconnected even after I login into the wifi. I have to manually restart such applications after I connect to the internet. This is usually not a problem but it is a pain to restart *all* apps if I hibernate my machine at work (wired connection) and bring it to a coffee shop (wifi). I had no such trouble with ubuntu before.

What is causing this issue? Is there a fix?

#2 2010-04-12 17:59:50

daf666
Website

Re: Applications do not detect network status

I am suspecting that this might be a DNS issue.. try working with dnsmask for dns caching so applications will learn 127.0.0.1 as DNS server... etc.

#3 2010-04-13 00:41:03

psrivats

Re: Applications do not detect network status

^ Thanks, will look into it.

FTR, I have not touched any of the DNS components (ie using OpenDNS/Google GNS) on this laptop. My router is set up to use the google DNS servers and 5 other machines connect to this router with no issues like mine.

Board footer