You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-12 23:18:51

zenbachry

Problems with Samba

Just as the title states.

Oh, you want an explination? Ok, no problem. lol

Ok, seriously though. My issue started a couple of weeks ago. I have a folder that contains my music on my laptop and its shared accross the network. I had to travel somewhere, so I took my laptop with me. However, on the entire trip I didn't turn on the laptop, nor did I even take it out of the bag. A couple of days later when I had returned home, connected the laptop back up, turned it on, and started to play the music from another computer, it said that the file could not be found. Well, at first, I had thought that the laptop had dropped the connection (its wireless connection), so I had restarted the laptop and reconnected it to the network. Again, the other computers gave me the same error. Oh, thought I should mention that the other computers are Windows XP and Windows 7. Well, I went to the laptop thinking that maybe somehow the Samba configuration file had changed. No, it was fine. So, I decided that maybe something was wrong with the laptop, and so I changed the share name of the folder. The Windows computers saw the change of folder, but could not open the folder. The Windows computers could see my laptop, and I could see the shared folder, but cannot open the shared folder. It says that the folder cannot be found. Go to the laptop, and I can browse the network and see the other computers, but I cannot browse the other computers. I get a timeout. Well, I had figured that maybe (just a thought) that there was a Samba version difference, and that the Samba on the Windows cannot read the older version. Again, I had just thought about it, but second thoughts say that wouldn't matter. But, I went ahead and updated Samba today. But, now the other computers cannot see my laptop, and I can't even browse the network from the laptop. Hell, I can't even ping the other computers on the network, but I can ping sites like Google. Oh, the message that comes up from my laptop:

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Help >.< Thanks in advance smile

This signature does not exist. Please move on.

#2 2010-04-12 23:20:55

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Problems with Samba

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer