You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-06 15:09:58

Demoniac

How to configure a complex network setup at boot time?

Hi guys,

This week I've got rid of Ubuntu and installed Arch on my home server. My network situation is kind of complex and I've got no idea how to configure it correctly in Arch.
The situation is as following:
I've got an Intel dualport NIC, which shows up as eth0 and eth1. These are bonded together to bond0, which has to get a different MAC-address and MTU.
The bond0 interface then gets two VLANs assigned, so there's bond0.2 and bond0.3. bond0.2 should get an IP-address from my DSL-provider. (through a bridged modem)
bond0.3 is added to a bridge, br0. I've installed hostapd to use a wireless NIC as an access point and also add it to the bridge. After that, dhcpd can offer it's services on this bridge.

In Ubuntu it wasn't that hard to configure this at boot, but since Arch doesn't support VLAN configuration by default, I do not quite see how to configure this right. The VLANs should be created before the bridge is set up and the bridge has to be up before dhcpd starts.
The only possibility I see is to trash /etc/rc.d/network and put my ifenslave, vconfig and brctl commands in there, or is there a more elegant solution to this?

#2 2010-05-06 15:52:12

Sin.citadel

Re: How to configure a complex network setup at boot time?

you can trash your network file, but to remain consistent across upgrades, simply turn off bridges or eth settings in rc.conf, and create a single script which uses ifenslave/vconfig/etc to create your desired setup, and run it using rc.local.

also, do u really need the bonded function, if it can be removed your network will become quite simple but only if your data rates are of course less than 2 gbps.

#3 2011-02-01 17:22:32

aaronleach

Re: How to configure a complex network setup at boot time?

You might be able to use something like I did.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=112802

The bridge might be brought up in a similar fashion.

Cheer! smile

Board footer