You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-02 21:55:49

combo

Samba and symlinks

Hi!
In my hostel unfortunately too many people use windows, so I can mount my home directory only with samba (because there is no other daemon installed on the server). I was angry, because I couldn't chown my files (all were marked as executable, I could play with umask=..., but...). I was happy when I saw that there is kernel-menu option to enable using linux extensions with smbfs. But! The owner names aren't set correctly (the owner of my files is a "number"  instead of combo) and if I create a symlink on the server (after SSH-ing) e.g ~/link.txt ->/usr/sg.txt; I can see only an (errorous) symlink pointing to my NOT EXISTING /usr/sg.txt on my local machine. If anyone could tell me how to config smbfs with unix extension BUT without this dummy symlink-function, I'd be happy.
An other problem: I live in Hungary (as you've probably noticed from my bad English:), so there are Hungarian chars in most filenames (on the samba-server), but I can see only _ marks instead of the correct chars and I can't open that file. I've tryed the -codepage and -iocharset options, but it doesn't work. I think sg. is wrong on the server, but I'm not the administrator:)
It's difficult to explain my problems in English, but I hope you understood it and can help me.
THX

#2 2005-02-02 22:54:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Samba and symlinks

combo wrote:

I live in Hungary (as you've probably noticed from my bad English:), so there are Hungarian chars in most filenames (on the samba-server), but I can see only _ marks instead of the correct chars and I can't open that file. I've tryed the -codepage and -iocharset options, but it doesn't work. I think sg. is wrong on the server, but I'm not the administrator:)

Actually, your english is quite good... as for hungarian characters through samba - I think that's something you can't change... not really sure though.. I'd check the samba docs on that one

Board footer