You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-16 08:25:50

Dinth

Opera Turbo opensource alternative

Is there any opensource alternative for Opera Turbo server ? I have netbook with 3G network, but limited only to 1gb/month, and at home, desktop computer running 24h. Im thinking about using desktop as a proxy for 3G connection in my netbook, to save bandwidth, but i dont know how to do it.

#2 2010-05-16 14:05:27

briest

Re: Opera Turbo opensource alternative

Two ready to use alternatives are RabbIT and Ziproxy. Both compress your traffic, convert images to smaller size/quality, try to optimize content (html/css/js). One can also build his own solution, using i.e. Apache with mod_proxy, mod_deflate and filters.
It may be also beneficial to run another proxy on client (netbook) side of connection, to implement more aggresive caching than browser would allow (or to use highly compressed transport format, that browser itself may not be able to decipher, say jpeg2000).

Another solution -- not replacing, but supplementing such proxies -- is to use some kind of compressed tunnel to your desktop: say, ssh -C -L|D or openvpn. Such a tunnel will extend compression benefits to non-HTTP traffic (mail, IM, ...) and HTTP metadata.

Speaking of mail (although it's way out of your initial question, I know... I like to think aloud wink ), using IMAP IDLE extension should greatly reduce bandwidth used to checking mail (in short, it's kind of push solution -- server notifies client about new mail, without repeated login/check/logout sequences). Basic IMAP by itself, when used reasonably, can reduce amount of data downloaded - headers-only, selective download of attachments... If I were building such solution, I'd use IMAP server at home, synced with all external accounts, and then connect from netbook via above tunnel, NOT using SSL/TLS -- tunnel is encrypted itself, and additional encryption layer would prevent good compression (although TLS has possibility of using compression internally, I have yet to see it used somewhere...).

And, for almost all protocols (although HTTP proxies will take care of it by themselves), local caching DNS may be convenient -- it won't significantly decrease your traffic, but may reduce latency.

Last edited by briest (2010-05-16 14:15:36)

#3 2010-06-02 11:30:09

Dinth

Thanks, your post was very helpful. Ive choosed Ziproxy for my desktop. But im looking also for some kind of proxy for netbook itself to buffor localy websites.
1) proxy which keeps websites for me, but when website has changed it only recives diffs from desktop proxy.
2) something like squid, but buffering localy not only webpages i visit but also entire choosen by my websites when im in wifi range in the background.

Have you any suggestions ? Or other good ideas which will minimize traffic usage when im on UMTS connection (we have very expensive internet in Poland)

#4 2010-06-02 21:20:16

briest

WWWOFFLE is a proxy optimized for (mostly) offline usage, so you may try it. It keeps visited sites for offline use, can be configured to fetch predefined set of sites on schedule or on demand... just see for yourself, I have used it back in the horrid days of dial-up, pay-per-minute 33.6k modem access wink

As of mobile internet prices... latest OrangeFree or Era TakTak offers do not look bad wink In fact, I have bought Orange starter just because of this promotion, and it seems I got much more transfer available than I'd need during its validity time. On the other hand, I use it on smartphone, so probably my usage pattern will differ significantly from yours.

#5 2010-06-02 21:56:01

Dinth

Great thanks for info about Wwwofle. Ive also used this in days of 33.6k modem access, but completly forgoten about it, and also didnt know, that it can fetch predefined sites smile

Board footer