You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-26 08:21:12

snack

Network data access and symlinks

Hi, I have many files containing data on several disk servers, accessible with NFS. For my scripts it is useful to see all the files in a single folder, so in a spare disk server I created a directory with symlinks to all the files which are stored in other servers. But the it came a question: how much is the symlink server stressed if I want to access many files at the same time? If the symlink server is queried only at the file opening and not every time I read data from an opened file it shoulg vive no problems, right?
Thanks

#2 2010-05-26 10:01:20

Sin.citadel

Re: Network data access and symlinks

since you are using nfs, your server is no more stressed than accessing any other file because the overhead is associated with the network interface, not from the symlink server.

#3 2010-05-26 10:06:58

snack

Thanks Sin.Citadel, but what I wanted to know is: when I open the file, I use the symlink so the file request is firstly handled by the symlink server; after opening it, is the data request handled by the symlink server as well or directly by the data servers? In the former case, the symlink server will have to re-route to the data servers all the data requests, and this is what makes me worry about.

#4 2010-05-28 09:22:35

Sin.citadel

yes, the data will not be directly handled by the data server as the symlink points to the data location, not to the data itself. dont worry about the requests, considering an ethernet interface with a max data rate of 100 mbps, you system (as low as 1 Ghz) with 256MB of ram can easily handle all the requests because the I/O requests are not generated on the symlink server but on the data servers, the symlink server is only used to transfer that data using normal tcp/ip (data is buffered in ram, not in symlink server drive).

for fast speeds, make sure that your symlink server has multiple network interfaces, so that there is no bottleneck.

#5 2010-05-28 10:41:35

snack

Thank you very much, Sin.citadel!

Board footer