You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-27 19:04:06

lagagnon
Website

Cannot see nor mount optical drive with pcmanfm/thunar [Solved]

ArchLinux x86_64 (up-to-date) using fluxbox with either pcmanfm and/or thunar. Neither file manager see the optical drive. I can mount the optical drive manually no problems. I am using "ck-launch-session" to launch fluxbox, I am a member of hal, optical and storage groups, hal is running, USB devices mount correctly and are seen in the file manager. My fstab is:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime,acl 0 1
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 /boot ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/sda5 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lagagnon (2010-05-27 23:09:33)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2010-05-27 19:13:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Cannot see nor mount optical drive with pcmanfm/thunar [Solved]

Comment the fstab entries and then try it. Optical drives should behave like usb keys where they show up only when you have media in it.

Edit : This post actually reminded me that even my systems don't show the optical drives ...but I have so little use of the cd drives that I had forgotten to remove the fstab entries and i hadn't even noticed :-)

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-05-27 19:15:10)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-05-27 20:08:50

lagagnon
Website

That works on the "first pass", but if one then changes disk in the drive, or ejects and then reinserts any media pcmanfm no longer sees the drive at all! Weird. The drive keeps getting spun up and down, probably by HAL, not knowing what to do. I have no idea how to go any further diagnosing this problem.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#4 2010-05-27 23:10:57

lagagnon
Website

OK, on thorough wiki reading of this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL … rmal_users , section re CDROMs I discover the /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_$YOUR_DEVICE.fdi file, the boolean operator for my device was set to false. Changed to true as suggested - all working.

#5 2010-05-28 00:00:55

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I saw the same behavior. However, I do not have the /etc/hal/fdi/information/media... file at all.

In fact I do not have any files in the /etc/hal/fdi/information folder. So can you please tell me what the $YOUR_DEVICE is? Does it have to be the name of the drive? like /media/dvd or the UUID of the drive?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-05-28 04:05:04

lagagnon
Website

The file I have is: "/etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_DVDRAM_GH22NS50.fdi"

#7 2010-06-02 00:07:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Hmm.... I will probably have to create that file. But I am not sure what name I would give it. since my drive is most likely different

Forum Rules

Board footer