You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 12:02:19

neofish

Want to try out a brand new arch remix?

Uzume linux finally has it's first release!

Download: http://mirror.twilightlair.net/uzume/is … so.torrent

Or if you're having trouble with the .torrent, http://neofish.org/repository/uzume/iso … l-i686.iso
http://files.twilightlair.net/mirrors/u … l-i686.iso

There'll be a lxde mix coming in the next few days.

Uzume linux tries to provide more initial configuration than arch does (not present in the minimal version).  It also has more stable repositories, we try to make sure the updates won't break anything.

Dowload it and tell me what you think!

Last edited by neofish (2010-06-07 13:06:59)

#2 2010-06-07 13:04:26

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Want to try out a brand new arch remix?

Do you have a website?

#3 2010-06-07 13:06:04

neofish

#4 2010-06-07 13:27:12

JohannesSM64
Website

we try to make sure the updates won't break anything.

So do the Arch maintainers.

#5 2010-06-07 13:35:48

neofish

Let me put that another way.  We make sure the updates don't break anything.

#6 2010-06-07 13:45:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Why do you have bash-4.0 (and not fully patched...) in [core] but bash-4.1 in [apps]?   Keeping old versions of packages around means yo need to keep up with the upstream releases of that branch.

#7 2010-06-07 13:59:01

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't get it - why fork an entire distro just to provide some config?

#8 2010-06-07 14:05:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

neofish wrote:

How many full-time staff do you have? What do the words "Kahel OS" mean to you?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2010-06-07 14:51:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

neofish wrote:

Its good that you guys are trying out a new venture, but I have been using Arch since the last 4-5 years and I haven't seen a major breakage on my system at all. As long as you read the RSS/website for the updates, you should be fine.

Uzume might and probably will offer a lot of other great things, but don't advertise your good work by demeaning the Arch devs.

Also remember, NO software and I mean NONE, are bug free. You can only minimize the effect a bug can have, but you can never eliminate every bug from your software. You have to accept that as a developer and a user.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-06-07 14:51:30)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2010-06-07 20:09:58

Cdh

Inxsible wrote:

Also remember, NO software and I mean NONE, are bug free. You can only minimize the effect a bug can have, but you can never eliminate every bug from your software. You have to accept that as a developer and a user.

That's a very strong statement. smile

#include <stdio.h>
int main (void) {
   return 0;
}

I actually like the idea of a good initial configuration but I too have to ask:
How exactly do you make sure that "nothing breaks" more like it is in Archlinux already? What I mean: Do you really need own repositories?

Last edited by Cdh (2010-06-07 20:10:41)

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#11 2010-06-07 20:14:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

ngoonee wrote:
neofish wrote:

How many full-time staff do you have? What do the words "Kahel OS" mean to you?

Smooth tongue

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2010-06-07 20:28:14

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Last time an update really broke something was... October I think, and even then it was just something rather minor to fix it.

There is a method for not having stuff break on you, it's called "read the news before updating".

I think that it's good that things like this, Kahel OS, ArchBang and TidOS start showing up now, it's a sign that more people start seeing the light that is arch. smile

To me it seems odd though to take away the "need" to configure arch since the freedom to set it up any way you want is what is most interesting about it to me.

Edit: Added ArchBang, sorry for forgetting about it

Last edited by Zeist (2010-06-08 04:19:10)

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#13 2010-06-07 23:45:27

Stythys
Website

Apologies for the possible wrong intentions the first post might have given out. Uzume wasn't really at a presentable state; I know there are mess-ups in the repos at the moment, and we're not trying to claim arch is buggy, or that we'll be more "bug-free" or whatever. And no, we don't have many "full-time staff" working on it, it's mainly just neo and I making our own distro for fun. My original intention was to create a replacement for FaunOS when the developer stopped working on it (yeah I know that was quite awhile ago, didn't really get around to it =P), but kind of evolved to encompass a bit more.

Why fork an entire distro just to provide some configs? Well, I can't really answer that very well. Our ideas are pretty similar to the chakra guys, so a livecd would probably be a much more realistic option to go with. As I said in the beginning, we weren't really at a presentable state as we're still kind of messing with ideas and what to go with. I think what we were trying to do was an arch spinoff with small, stable repos with a few binaries to provide the initial system, and the rest provided by an AUR installation/clone. Again, just passing around ideas.

If the arch community has any constructive feedback to give, like what direction would people *most* like to see a spinoff go in, what makes the most sense, etc., that'd be awesome, as we're still open to, well, anything =P.

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#14 2010-06-08 00:31:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

Cdh wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

That's a very strong statement. smile

#include <stdio.h>
int main (void) {
   return 0;
}

You are still relying on the complier, linker, C library, headers...

#15 2010-06-08 01:06:51

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Stythys wrote:

If the arch community has any constructive feedback to give, like what direction would people *most* like to see a spinoff go in, what makes the most sense, etc., that'd be awesome, as we're still open to, well, anything =P.

I hope you guys would strongly consider helping out the Archbang project. That's my suggestion.
It seems to me that Arch forks-and-fragmentation serve to weaken each other.
my $.02.

#16 2010-06-08 01:55:27

smartboyathome
Website

Misfit138 wrote:
Stythys wrote:

I hope you guys would strongly consider helping out the Archbang project. That's my suggestion.
It seems to me that Arch forks-and-fragmentation serve to weaken each other.
my $.02.

I agree. To me this is becoming the new Ubuntu, where everyone is going to roll their own and distributes it.

#17 2010-06-08 02:05:44

sHyLoCk

ArchBang welcomes anyone willing to participate in the development. It's becoming difficult to do it alone and the other devs are quite busy these days.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#18 2010-06-08 06:39:59

smakked

Why have a burger when you can have a steak?

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#19 2010-06-08 08:58:15

sHyLoCk

smakked wrote:

Why have a burger when you can have a steak?

I don't have an answer  to that, but it was more like "I'd appreciate any help.":P
I also don't have MY OWN DISTRO, this is willxtreme's and he asked for help and I have put in my 200% effort and tried to help him out and take the project further. This is what opensource is all about. Collaboration and sharing of code and effort. Enough ranting. Sorry for messing up the topic. lol

EDIT: Funny thing is it's not even a separate distro it seems, just search for "archbang" in distrowatch. lol

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-06-08 09:17:46)

~ Regards,
sHy

#20 2010-06-08 09:54:27

dmz
Website

Zeist wrote:

I think that it's good that things like this, Kahel OS, ArchBang and TidOS start showing up now, it's a sign that more people start seeing the light that is arch. smile

Why is that a good thing?
I dont want this to be the next Ubuntu.

#21 2010-06-08 10:05:44

sHyLoCk

dmz wrote:
Zeist wrote:

Why is that a good thing?
I dont want this to be the next Ubuntu.

What do you mean by "this" ? Arch Linux? hmm Is Debian now ubuntu? Didn't know that.

~ Regards,
sHy

#22 2010-06-08 13:30:49

smartboyathome
Website

sHyLoCk wrote:

What do you mean by "this" ? Arch Linux? hmm Is Debian now ubuntu? Didn't know that.

I'm not them, but I agree with them when they say that, and what I mean by that is that Ubuntu has so many different rolled distributions, and that most of them are worthless. The beauty of Arch is not in how the distro itself is configured, but how anyone is able to install a minimal base and build from the ground up. Preconfiguration (aka distros), while having a purpose, becomes a moot point once a certain number of different, sparsely maintained versions which are hard to support.

#23 2010-06-08 14:11:07

sHyLoCk

smartboyathome wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

I'm not them, but I agree with them when they say that, and what I mean by that is that Ubuntu has so many different rolled distributions, and that most of them are worthless. The beauty of Arch is not in how the distro itself is configured, but how anyone is able to install a minimal base and build from the ground up. Preconfiguration (aka distros), while having a purpose, becomes a moot point once a certain number of different, sparsely maintained versions which are hard to support.

People should have the freedom of choice to use whatever they want to. Closing all the entrances for interested potential users is not what Arch is all about. It doesn't intentionally make everything harder for newbies. Arch Linux expects users to read the wiki and have a certain prior working knowledge about Linux. I don't think creating distributions based on Arch and encouraging the users to not get intimidated but try and feel the experience cause any negative impact. On the contrary, (I speak for ArchBang only here) it gives a basic useable system for users to get used to the Arch system and embrace the Arch Way and gives them some direction to start their Arch Linux journey. Please understand our intentions are not to defile everything that Arch Linux is all about, but to get more users into the Arch side. I don't perceive this effort as a mockery of Arch Linux or Arch Developers but a service to the Arch community by bringing in more crowd, being a proud Archer!

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-06-08 14:16:33)

~ Regards,
sHy

#24 2010-06-08 14:24:06

anonymous_user

sHyLoCk wrote:

I don't perceive this effort as a mockery of Arch Linux or Arch Developers but a service to the Arch community by bringing in more crowd, being a proud Archer!

I think I read somewhere that Arch Linux wants more developers rather than users.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-06-08 14:24:41)

#25 2010-06-08 15:29:38

sHyLoCk

anonymous_user wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

I don't perceive this effort as a mockery of Arch Linux or Arch Developers but a service to the Arch community by bringing in more crowd, being a proud Archer!

I think I read somewhere that Arch Linux wants more developers rather than users.

So where will those developers sprout from? Maybe these new users can one day become developers and contribute at a large scale towards Arch Linux development? How do Debian and Ubuntu have such a large no. of developers? The keyword here is "userbase". It's a long term investment.

~ Regards,
sHy

Board footer