You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-08 16:32:27

anonymous_user

Re: Want to try out a brand new arch remix?

sHyLoCk wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

I don't perceive this effort as a mockery of Arch Linux or Arch Developers but a service to the Arch community by bringing in more crowd, being a proud Archer!

I think I read somewhere that Arch Linux wants more developers rather than users.

So where will those developers sprout from? Maybe these new users can one day become developers and contribute at a large scale towards Arch Linux development?

Of course some users may become developers however an increased userbase would likely just increase the ratio of users to developers.

#27 2010-06-08 16:53:15

Skripka

sHyLoCk wrote:

How do Debian and Ubuntu have such a large no. of developers? The keyword here is "userbase". It's a long term investment.

Ubuntu does not.  They have a severe problem with LOTS of bug reporters and only a tiny handful of bug-fixers...and lots of less-than useful reports.  So much so-that they stopped using Launchpad due to the floods of reports, and cooked up their own bug reporting engine-that automatically grabs crash data since they don't trust users to make actionable amd useful bug reports.

Last edited by Skripka (2010-06-08 16:54:07)

#28 2010-06-08 17:12:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

smartboyathome wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

What do you mean by "this" ? Arch Linux? hmm Is Debian now ubuntu? Didn't know that.

I'm not them, but I agree with them when they say that, and what I mean by that is that Ubuntu has so many different rolled distributions, and that most of them are worthless. The beauty of Arch is not in how the distro itself is configured, but how anyone is able to install a minimal base and build from the ground up. Preconfiguration (aka distros), while having a purpose, becomes a moot point once a certain number of different, sparsely maintained versions which are hard to support.

Yes, but as long as they don't call themselves "Arch linux" and promote themselves as such, any user can see the difference. And if some people still blame Arch linux for any short-comings that the said distro might have, then they definitely don't know what they are talking about.

Arch itself was inspired by Crux -- although a complete re-write. So there is nothing wrong in some other distro being based off of Arch

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#29 2010-06-08 18:09:33

sHyLoCk

anonymous_user wrote:

Of course some users may become developers however an increased userbase would likely just increase the ratio of users to developers.

Yes. But that doesn't stop letting users in and we can't be afraid of the ratio. If that's what Arch developers really wanted then could have shut down the website and registration in forum and elsewhere & become a private underground group only to be accessed by the privileged. Surely that's not what the Arch Devs want. Or there should be a note in the website or wiki "Contribute or DIE!" We can't force anyone to do anything for free! They must do so voluntarily. What we can do is educate them of the system, so that they can contribute however they can to the best of their abilities.

Skripka wrote:

Ubuntu does not.  They have a severe problem with LOTS of bug reporters .........

That's irrelevant. Hope you understood the point of my post. What ubuntu does is not the concern, "s/ubuntu/fedora". Happy?

Inxsible wrote:

Arch itself was inspired by Crux -- although a complete re-write. So there is nothing wrong in some other distro being based off of Arch

I agree with you.

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-06-08 18:14:25)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

Board footer