You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 19:05:12

vendion
Website

[Solved] Problems configuring SSH

Hello all, I have installed and configured openSSH according to the wiki, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSH, and I have the port open in my firewall but I am unable to make a connection to or from my Arch box.  The problem has to be with this box and not a network issue because my other boxes, one Mac and a system running openSUSE 11.2, are able to talk to each other with no problems. 

When I try to ssh out of this box I get the following error:

vendion ~ $ ssh vendion@192.168.1.112                                               
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.112 port 22: Connection refused

and when trying to ssh into this box I get

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

To insure that it is not my firewall here is my rule list for Iptables:

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination         
DROP       all  --  127.0.0.0/8          anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID 
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request state NEW 
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
OPEN-UDP   udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW 
OPEN-TCP   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW 
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable 
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with tcp-reset 
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-proto-unreachable 

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OPEN-TCP (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www 
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh 

Chain OPEN-UDP (1 references)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:domain

Anyone seen this before or know what is going on?

EDIT: Please note I will be more than happy to upload config files to pastebin if needed

Last edited by vendion (2010-08-10 23:30:58)

#2 2010-06-07 19:36:06

ber_t
Website

Re: [Solved] Problems configuring SSH

Can you pastebin the output of ssh -vvv ...?
Have you tried "UsePAM yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

Last edited by ber_t (2010-06-07 19:37:14)

#3 2010-06-07 20:00:45

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

You might have to add sshd: ALL to /etc/hosts.allow

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#4 2010-06-07 21:20:51

Sjoden
Website

vendion wrote:

Hello all, I have installed and configured openSSH according to the wiki, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSH, and I have the port open in my firewall but I am unable to make a connection to or from my Arch box.  The problem has to be with this box and not a network issue because my other boxes, one Mac and a system running openSUSE 11.2, are able to talk to each other with no problems. 

When I try to ssh out of this box I get the following error:

and when trying to ssh into this box I get

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

To insure that it is not my firewall here is my rule list for Iptables:

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
DROP       all  --  127.0.0.0/8          anywhere            
[b]ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere   [/b]         
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID 
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request state NEW 
[b]ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere      [/b]      
OPEN-UDP   udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW 
OPEN-TCP   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW 
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable 
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with tcp-reset 
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-proto-unreachable 

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www 
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh 

ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:domain

Anyone seen this before or know what is going on?

EDIT: Please note I will be more than happy to upload config files to pastebin if needed

Can you post the output of

iptables -L -v

You probably want to remove the two lines in bold from iptables, unless there are more options that aren't showing because of normal mode hiding them.

Last edited by Sjoden (2010-06-07 21:23:33)

#5 2010-06-09 00:18:51

vendion
Website

Zeist wrote:

You might have to add sshd: ALL to /etc/hosts.allow

I already have sshd allowed for my local network in /etc/hosts.allow, should have posted that in my OP.

#6 2010-06-09 00:45:11

vendion
Website

ber_t wrote:

Can you pastebin the output of ssh -vvv ...?
Have you tried "UsePAM yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

Yes I have UsePAM enabled on my sshd_config

I assume that you want the debugging output from sshing into my Arch box correct?  If so then here it is, http://pastebin.ca/1879448, looks to me like ssh doesn't like my RSA1 key on my Mac but that never has messed with anything before.  As for sshing out from the Arch box this is all I get http://pastebin.ca/1879451.  I hope this output helps figure out what I more than likely have done wrong, yes I know the problem exists between the keyboard and the chair tongue.

#7 2010-06-09 00:50:06

vendion
Website

Sjoden wrote:

Can you post the output of

iptables -L -v

You probably want to remove the two lines in bold from iptables, unless there are more options that aren't showing because of normal mode hiding them.

No problem,

Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
    0     0 DROP       all  --  eth0   any     127.0.0.0/8          anywhere            
   80  4000 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere            
   35  1418 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID 
 808K 1118M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request state NEW 
   36  3912 ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere            
    0     0 OPEN-UDP   udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW 
    0     0 OPEN-TCP   tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW                                           
    0     0 REJECT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable                                                 
    0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with tcp-reset                                                             
    0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-proto-unreachable                                                

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)                                     

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 449K packets, 25M bytes)                                 

0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www                                                                       
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh                                                                       

0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:domain

I know my rules may be a little lacking, but I am a n00b when it comes to iptables and have not taken the time to tweak it, I just followed the guide here, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sim … l_firewall, just to give me something temporary, until I know exactly what I need to have open and for what reason.

#8 2010-06-10 21:27:59

ber_t
Website

What about

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport ssh -j ACCEPT

?

#9 2010-06-11 16:18:35

vendion
Website

Well that didn't seem to do the trick but to completely rule out the firewall I temporally stopped iptables and tried to connect out and got this:

vendion ~ $ ping 192.168.1.112                                                       
PING 192.168.1.112 (192.168.1.112) 56(84) bytes of data.                             
64 bytes from 192.168.1.112: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.825 ms                         
64 bytes from 192.168.1.112: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.819 ms                         
64 bytes from 192.168.1.112: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.806 ms                         
64 bytes from 192.168.1.112: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.831 ms                         
64 bytes from 192.168.1.112: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.846 ms                         

--- 192.168.1.112 ping statistics ---                                               
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4000ms                       
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.806/0.825/0.846/0.028 ms       

I don't have problems sshing to this box from any other machines, to rule out the chance that it is my config here is what I have in my ssh_config, http://pastebin.ca/1886204, and my sshd_config, http://pastebin.ca/1886205 hopefully someone can spot something wrong, I have also made sure that sshd is allowed in my /etc/hosts.allow file.

Last edited by vendion (2010-06-19 03:38:00)

#10 2010-08-08 14:54:17

thom_raindog

Has this been solved? I am fighting something very similar on a new arch box that can not connect out nor in while the rest of the network (another archbox and a kubuntu netbook) work dandy...

#11 2010-08-10 23:30:23

vendion
Website

Yes I managed to solve this my issue was a missing ":" in the /etc/hosts.allow file for sshd.

Board footer