You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 04:05:43

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Installing Arch alongside Ubuntu Lucid and Windows Vista

(I have already posted a thread on this same topic however I worded it quite poorly and it was a lot longer than this one so I've reposted and will delete the older one)

Hi, I'm Ben, I currently have Vista, Debian and Ubuntu on the drive of my Dell XPS M1530. I started out with Vista and got introduced to Linux through Ubuntu and I want to try and dabble in some other Linux Distros for the learning opportunity mostly. I've read the beginners guide for Arch and looked at this forum and the wiki but I'm a bit confused with the partition of the hard drive part of the beginners guide, as in Ubuntu it does it all for you. The beginners guide shows how to do different partitions and different types like this:

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
sda1 Primary Linux 15440 #root
sda2 Primary Linux 10256 #/var
sda3 Primary Linux swap / Solaris 1024 #swap
sda4 Primary Linux 140480 #/home

and once those are created then you mount them (that's what I've understood). It says you can do this in Gparted and skip straight to the mountparts bit of the install.

My questions are:

1). Is it o.k. to put these new partitions I would intend for Arch Linux together in an extended partition?
2). Do I need to create all of these partitions or can I just do one? My Ubuntu consists of a swap partition and then one ext4 logical partition. Can something like this be done with Arch? (I assume if it can it would just be to use a swap partition and a /(root) partition?) or does it definately need a separate /boot and /var partition?

3). This question concerns the bootloader: The beginners guide section about the bootloader (GRUB) is in the context of Arch Linux being the only operating system on the computer, but with me this will not be the case. Is there something different I need to do like edit a grub file in my current Ubuntu installation?

My current Drive Configuration is below, just so you can see where I'm coming from.

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54252 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
1      32.3kB  42.5GB  42.5GB  primary   ntfs
3      168GB   250GB   81.7GB  extended
     5      168GB   240GB   72.1GB  logical   ext4
     6      240GB   244GB   3108MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Thank you sooooo much in advance to anyone who can help me with this, I realise it's quite a big question in all but I'm really interested in installing this and learning a more advanced distro.
Cheers big_smile

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:49:58)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-10 04:14:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Arch alongside Ubuntu Lucid and Windows Vista

Ben9250 wrote:

(I have already posted a thread on this same topic however I worded it quite poorly and it was a lot longer than this one so I've reposted and will delete the older one)

This one ain't much shorter ;-)

I already answered your questions in the other thread seconds before Allan closed it.
1) Yes,
2) Yes. There is no necessity to create /boot and /var and /tmp. the only requirement is that you NEED to have a / (root). Even swap is not compulsory. Although a separate /home is recommended so that you can re-install OSes without having to lose all configuration files in your /home.Try searching for Partitions in the Arch Wiki and you can read up on what is recommended and why.
3) See my other post. You have 3 choices, use Debian grub, or Ubuntu grub, or Arch grub and a 4th bu kinda complicated choice would be to have each distro their own grub in their respective partition. But I wouldn't advise that for you seeing that you are pretty new to linux.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-06-10 04:20:30)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-06-10 05:57:15

Ben9250
Website

Thanks a lot for your help, I've decided clear my hard drive and start again with a clear view of the how the hard drive will be organised, with a seperate /home partition so I can have Vista, Ubuntu and Arch Linux on the disk. I'm gonna forget about Debian for now.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#4 2010-06-10 11:56:05

Ben9250
Website

I have gone through the install (understanding the config part as much as I can and seemingly it worked) and missed out installing the bootloader because I wanted to make use of the already existing one in Ubuntu. Interestingly there is no menu.lst file in /boot/grub/ although there is a grub.cfg file but it says not to edit it at the top of the file. I've had a look around elsewhere for anything to do with grub but they don't look like they make much sense as they're written in complex programming code. The /root partition I made for arch appears as one I could mount and I had a brows to see what it was like and it was pretty much the same layout as other linux distros but it did have a menu.lst file in /boot/grub/ which included an entry for arch Linux, and one for what I believe is Windows. Eve though I didn't go through with the install grub bootloader step. Can anybody give me some guidance as what to do? I'm very much looking forward to seeing if my setup worked smile
Cheers.

{EDIT} I have solved this by using sudo update-grub in the ubuntu gnome terminal.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-06-10 15:07:24)

- H. G. Wells

#5 2010-06-10 14:07:50

thisoldman

Ubuntu uses grub2. If you wish to use the Ubuntu bootloader, it's probably best to consult their wiki and forums to get the information you need.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

You can still install Arch's bootloader and grub. Either way you decide, it's a good learning experience.  Take your time as you follow the instructions.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gru … stallation

Board footer