You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-14 13:31:29

saif

Newcomer: Two Issues

Hello there!

I have made a new clean install of Archlinux, after trying many distros, this one is my choice as it is amazing. Though I have two issues, and I hope you can help me.

I installed Arch clean install following each step of the beginners guide (ive made my own brief installation manual and I almost learned everything)

1) No Sound. I dont know what is wrong with Alsa. I have just installed alsa utils and oss, went through alsaconfig, added my user to the audio group. Still nothing, no sound. Im not very sure, but the first time when I tried ArchLinux I think I had sound playing very well (it was a month ago). So Im not sure what's wrong. I have even tried installing some codecs and audioplays to make sure it wasn' a flash problem.

Audacity tells me "Alsa Error. No Suitable mixer element found" after opening. Movie Player says "Internal Data stream error". I have unmuted stuff and everything.

ALSA recognices my main Audio card (X-Fi creative sound blaster pci) and my audio drivers from my Ati 4870. Dont know what else to tell you. Ive done what mostly I found in google about this problem still nothing. Device recognized id is CA0106 (Alsa Mixer)

2) Delay after login. (solved)

I have installed Gnome basic with no extras. And after logging in the gdm, I get a 10 seconds delay where the computer doesn't load or anything. After those 10 seconds, the desktop loads normally. I would love to remove this delay to enhance boot up speed. Any ideas?

Finally just to say, I had some weired stuff, perhaps for you to know:

a) Hal fails to load, but I can mount any ntfs device and everything works fine. My modules are network stuf... alsa dbus hal gdm).  am not sure but I think hal loads in the bootup but fails to load when I set /etc/rc.d/hal start
b) I had a weired bootup issue after Grub, but I fixed it by setting rootnoverify to load it

Thanks in advice!
Rev

Last edited by saif (2010-06-14 14:00:17)

#2 2010-06-14 13:39:43

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Newcomer: Two Issues

saif wrote:

2) Delay after login.

I have installed Gnome basic with no extras. And after logging in the gdm, I get a 10 seconds delay where the computer doesn't load or anything. After those 10 seconds, the desktop loads normally. I would love to remove this delay to enhance boot up speed. Any ideas?

Check out

this http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82060 (try to reproduce with the commands I posted there)

If that's your issue, more info is at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95060
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/539515.

#3 2010-06-14 13:55:06

saif

Nice. Issue #2 solved. I dont have a Diskette drive, but I disabled it in the BIOS and now login in takes only 3 seconds.
I Hope I can fix the sound issue

#4 2010-06-14 14:04:15

gamewolf

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Run this command in the from a tty and see if it works. If it does its a Gnome issue rather than kernel or driver issue.

#5 2010-06-14 14:45:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

saif wrote:

1) No Sound. I dont know what is wrong with Alsa. I have just installed alsa utils and oss, went through alsaconfig, added my user to the audio group. Still nothing, no sound. Im not very sure, but the first time when I tried ArchLinux I think I had sound playing very well (it was a month ago). So Im not sure what's wrong. I have even tried installing some codecs and audioplays to make sure it wasn' a flash problem.

Audacity tells me "Alsa Error. No Suitable mixer element found" after opening. Movie Player says "Internal Data stream error". I have unmuted stuff and everything.

ALSA recognices my main Audio card (X-Fi creative sound blaster pci) and my audio drivers from my Ati 4870. Dont know what else to tell you. Ive done what mostly I found in google about this problem still nothing. Device recognized id is CA0106 (Alsa Mixer)

So are you using oss or ALSA ? Have you tried re-installing ALSA ?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-06-14 14:56:50

fsckd
Forum Fellow

saif wrote:

a) Hal fails to load, but I can mount any ntfs device and everything works fine. My modules are network stuf... alsa dbus hal gdm).  am not sure but I think hal loads in the bootup but fails to load when I set /etc/rc.d/hal start

What is your DAEMONS array (found in /etc/rc.conf)?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2010-06-14 15:20:18

SoleSoul

check in alsamixer if your master channel is disabled/mute.
I had to enable it for the sound to work.

#8 2010-06-15 00:53:25

saif

Hello, thank you all

gamewolf wrote:
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Run this command in the from a tty and see if it works. If it does its a Gnome issue rather than kernel or driver issue.

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory
inxsible wrote:

So are you using oss or ALSA ? Have you tried re-installing ALSA ?

Yep, ive tried installing, reinstalling, installing codecs, etc

fsckd wrote:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa dbus hal gdm)

SoleSoul wrote:

check in alsamixer if your master channel is disabled/mute.
I had to enable it for the sound to work.

Yep, i tried, muting, unmuting, disabling and enablign. Even alsaconfig, nothing. Perhaps a default soundcard issue? When I start alsamixer it comes up with the menu of the ATI sound driver instead of my soundcar

Last edited by saif (2010-06-15 01:52:44)

#9 2010-06-15 01:57:08

saif

Switching ON my onboard sound card works fine! but i want my soundblaster running sad

#10 2010-06-15 07:38:52

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

saif wrote:
fsckd wrote:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond alsa dbus hal gdm)

Put hal as far to the beginning as possible and remove dbus (it will be started by hal):

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal network netfs crond alsa gdm)

This might as well solve your alsa issues because hal has to set up some system configuration before it can be used by others.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#11 2010-06-15 09:17:55

NSB-fr

Hi there,

If you have multiple sound card it may be related to a default sound card problem as you stated above.
Try looking here for a way to resolve this.

Carpe Diem

#12 2010-06-16 19:28:22

saif

There we go, I screwed up everything so I went for an improved, faster, clean reinstallation. Installed Propiertaries ATI drivers and configured Alsa from the very early beginning. Removed the DBUS from the rc.conf. And best of all, sound is working.

This os is a Charm, but this time, I cant get Flashplugin anymore for my x86-64, it seems the file is gone and only 32bit is remaining (it was a simple pacman -S flashplugin the last time). And now theres nothing even in the aur

Last edited by saif (2010-06-16 19:29:05)

#13 2010-06-16 19:30:44

brisbin33
Website

saif wrote:

This os is a Charm, but this time, I cant get Flashplugin anymore for my x86-64, it seems the file is gone and only 32bit is remaining (it was a simple pacman -S flashplugin the last time). And now theres nothing even in the aur

http://www.archlinux.org/news/501/

#14 2010-06-16 19:44:59

saif

Huh too bad, do you know where can I find the older versions? I seriously doubt it is as dangerous as they say, i need flash! (theres a universal-version outdated but it wont pass the checksum test so im dead)

Last edited by saif (2010-06-16 19:46:49)

#15 2010-06-16 20:30:48

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Adobe wrote:

This vulnerability (CVE-2010-1297) could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild against both Adobe Flash Player, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat.

Each to his own. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dow … er_Version

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#16 2010-07-03 08:01:56

cookiecaper

You should just use it with nspluginwrapper. nspluginwrapper works really well for me from Chormium; it's pretty buggy from Firefox.

#17 2010-07-03 16:57:53

saif

Yeah Well I ended up using Opera browser, it has his own flash player and works pretty well

Board footer