You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-15 04:37:21

Wesman26

[SOLVED]Serious frustrations with MPD-Pulse and ncmpcpp

There are a couple of problems I'm having.  First and foremost, I can't access any sort of flash video without mpd stopping and not working until a full system reboot, I've tried "sudo mpd --kill && sudo mpd --no-create-db" as well as "sudo /etc/rc.d/mpd restart" and they don't work.  I've noticed several people with this problem while using alsa, I've tried normal mpd and tried some of the suggestions that I found for mpd.conf but to no avail and got the added bonus of play on startup which annoys me (mpd-pulse for whatever reason doesn't do that) so I was wondering if there exist any sort of work around for mpd-pulse or pulse in general (I'll take whatever).

Moving onto the more minor problem with ncmpcpp, there was an update today and upon installing I've noticed a serious decrease in speed, particularly when scrolling through the library and stumbling upon a certain artist that has a lot of albums/songs, but also when first playing a song after a system boot ncmpcpp will wait ~6 seconds before playing any sound (while the progress bar for the song is moving forward).  The first issue is more important as I have several discographies and going from one end of my library to another is rather difficult at present, but the latter is still really annoying.

I'm mainly trying to see if any one has a suggestion for my mpd-pulse issues with flash, and I'm curious if the ncmpcpp things are something everyone is experiencing or if it's just me.

Thank you in advance,
--Wes

Last edited by Wesman26 (2010-06-19 03:52:55)

#2 2010-06-15 04:49:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Serious frustrations with MPD-Pulse and ncmpcpp

I think flash is trying to access OSS, that would grab the sound card and prevent everything else playing. Don't use ncmpcpp sorry.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-15 05:10:25

Wesman26

Can you recommend a way to make it so flash doesn't do that? Also, I'm relatively certain I have oss covered by pulseaudio, I'm not sure if that makes a difference...

#4 2010-06-15 07:53:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Latest flashplugin should be pulseaudio-compatible, what version do you have?  Do you have libflashsupport?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-16 00:28:57

Wesman26

I have version 10.0.45.2-1 and I just installed libflashsupport.  I continue to get the same problem.

*EDIT*:
Well, this certainly explained a lot. I'm running 64 bit... I suppose we'll see how this pans out.

Last edited by Wesman26 (2010-06-16 01:24:44)

#6 2010-06-16 21:03:33

unK

Moving onto the more minor problem with ncmpcpp, there was an update today and upon installing I've noticed a serious decrease in speed, particularly when scrolling through the library and stumbling upon a certain artist that has a lot of albums/songs

this is not the problem with ncmpcpp, this is a problem with connection with mpd over tcp/ip (probably libmpdclient's fault, but I'm not sure yet). see bug 2938. as a temporary workaround you can either connect via unix socket or set mpd_communication_mode to "polling".

Last edited by unK (2010-06-16 21:04:22)

#7 2010-06-17 12:42:36

cupantae

About flash:
If I'm correct in saying that all audio is out after using flash in a browser, and nothing works until the browser is closed, then the problem is indeed OSS. Here's what you do: before starting any audio applications, (as root)

# rmmod snd-pcm-oss
# rmmod snd-mixer-oss
# rmmod snd-seq-oss

Add these into your /etc/rc.conf module list, with a ! before them (this blacklists them):

MODULES=( <...other modules...> !snd_pcm_oss !snd_seq_oss)

I found this thread because of ncmpcpp is gone really slow for me too. Gonna have to try this unix socket stuff. I don't really understand it if I'm honest B-)

By the way, I didn't read any of the posts above me.

#8 2010-06-17 12:59:49

cupantae

The unix socket method works fine. You just need to set
bind_to_address         "/var/lib/mpd/socket"
in /etc/mpd.conf, and
mpd_host = "/var/lib/mpd/socket"
in ~/.ncmpcpp/config

The /var/lib/mpd/ directory can be anything, as long as it exists and is the same in both....I think.

By the way, I didn't read any of the posts above me.

#9 2010-06-19 03:52:28

Wesman26

Thank you all, I seem to have things under control now.
The socket method definitely worked, and I've found an alternative workaround for the flash problem which, although unorthodox, seems to work so I'm not complaining.

Last edited by Wesman26 (2010-06-19 04:02:25)

Board footer