You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-19 23:24:43

StrangeAttractor

How to contribute to AUR?

I've just made my first package (primitive, but not bad for one who has just came from Windows a week ago cool ) - MonoDevelop 2.4. Currently I've put pkgbuild here and .tar.xz here. Please take a look, critique, and tell me how can I submit it for everyone to be able to find it in AUR.

Last edited by StrangeAttractor (2010-06-19 23:49:04)

#2 2010-06-19 23:31:47

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: How to contribute to AUR?

StrangeAttractor wrote:

I've just made my first package (primitive, but not bad for one who has just came from Windows a week ago cool ) - MonoDevelop 2.4. Currently I've put pkgbuild here and .tar.xz here. Please take a look, critique, and tell me how can I submit it for everyone to be able to find it in AUR.

This is a tricky one. The AUR explicitely forbids packages that are already in the repos unless they are more significantly different than a version bump. MonoDevelop is out of date in the repos and has been flagged so. A possible solution would be to e-mail the maintainer and offer some assistance. Otherwise, a post in the forums is about the best that you can do.

#3 2010-06-19 23:43:41

StrangeAttractor

skottish wrote:

This is a tricky one. The AUR explicitely forbids packages that are already in the repos unless they are more significantly different than a version bump. MonoDevelop is out of date in the repos and has been flagged so. A possible solution would be to e-mail the maintainer and offer some assistance. Otherwise, a post in the forums is about the best that you can do.

Then how has "mono-addins-newest" made it to the AUR when there's "mono-addins" already?

BTW there are more interesting packages which have just became outdated this week, for example netbeans and virtualbox.

Last edited by StrangeAttractor (2010-06-19 23:45:59)

#4 2010-06-19 23:48:50

Allan
Pacman
Website

Because people are idiots and like to create work for the TUs who delete such packages...

#5 2010-06-19 23:53:44

StrangeAttractor

Allan wrote:

Because people are idiots and like to create work for the TUs who delete such packages...

Excuse me, Allan, but isn't it the very purpose of Arch and AUR to deliver the freshest (and do it the KISS way)? If I was willing to use moss-grown software, I'd use debian-stable, but I've chosen Arch.

Last edited by StrangeAttractor (2010-06-19 23:55:07)

#6 2010-06-20 00:01:32

davidm

They likely have very good reasons for the policies.  Off the top of my head I could see how a situation might develop where the AUR gets filled with ten different versions of the same package, having come about because a different person makes a new package each time a new version has been released but not updated by the other maintainer.  The system seems to work pretty well IMHO. :twocents:

I believe they have a system for outdated packages too.  First it is flagged and then you are supposed to contact the maintainer after some time if there is no action in response to the flag and/or comments.  Then if after some time still there is no update or response, I believe one is supposed to post on the appropriate mailing list and the current maintainer might get de-listed and replaced with another one (perhaps yourself).  I may have it wrong, however...

Last edited by davidm (2010-06-20 00:02:39)

#7 2010-06-20 00:59:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

davidm wrote:

They likely have very good reasons for the policies.  Off the top of my head I could see how a situation might develop where the AUR gets filled with ten different versions of the same package, having come about because a different person makes a new package each time a new version has been released but not updated by the other maintainer.  The system seems to work pretty well IMHO. :twocents:

I believe they have a system for outdated packages too.  First it is flagged and then you are supposed to contact the maintainer after some time if there is no action in response to the flag and/or comments.  Then if after some time still there is no update or response, I believe one is supposed to post on the appropriate mailing list and the current maintainer might get de-listed and replaced with another one (perhaps yourself).  I may have it wrong, however...

+1

StrangeAttractor wrote:
Allan wrote:

Excuse me, Allan, but isn't it the very purpose of Arch and AUR to deliver the freshest (and do it the KISS way)? If I was willing to use moss-grown software, I'd use debian-stable, but I've chosen Arch.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from using the latest version. You just packaged the newer version, so I am sure you can install it with pacman -U, or compile it from source. So choosing Arch doesn't mean the repos will have the latest and the greatest the immediate next day after it is released.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-06-20 01:00:58)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer