You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-21 22:25:21

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Annoyance with Keymaps.

I have a slight annoyance with my keyboard layout, it is in what I assume is the us format, e.g. to get @ I have to press shift and ", and vice vera, also to try and get the home squiggle ~ it results instead with | .

I'm using input hotplugging and my input line in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi is:

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">gb</merge>

. I left the variant line as is. But I still don't have the GB layout, hal is listed in my daemons line in rc.conf and when I use

setxkbmap gb

the problem is sorted temporarily until I log out and login again. I have the kbd driver and Input hotplugging was recommended for laptops so I'm not sure on what to do, as far as I'm aware my daemons are in a suitable order, as I know this can sometimes mess things up because certain things need to be loaded before others.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus !network hal networkmanager netfs crond alsa gdm)

Does anybody know what I've done wrong?

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:44:55)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-21 22:41:35

kazuo
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Annoyance with Keymaps.

The new xorg (1.8) moved to extra, and its dont use hal anymore. Try to upgrade and test the udev only hot plugging system.

EDIT And look for your DE/WM too if its not changing the keymap (I see gdm in your array, and I think that gnome change keymaps)

Last edited by kazuo (2010-06-21 22:43:19)

#3 2010-06-21 22:43:01

stqn
Website

Well, if you did pacman -Syu today, then Xorg doesn't use HAL anymore. If this is the case, have a look at this thread.

#4 2010-06-22 00:56:58

Ben9250
Website

GNOME settings corrected it. According to the thread regarding no more hal, it says some things still need it, udev is the thing I would have encountered during the beginners guide wiki that auto detects devices?- In fact if memory serves, I couldn't my wireless interface whilst the autoload setting was enabled and I had to download the broadcom-wl hardware and specify the module to be loaded myself. So to me this suggests now xorg is doing a very similar thing and as a relative newbie that Udev as a device loader is the new(ish) and current thing replacing older methods. So I might keep hal for a bit but eventually get rid of it as apparantly some things still need it, so with udev and xorg in the future, I'm assuming I'd still need to keep the drivers and evdev I downloaded in the first place, and that all I'd have to do is unlist hal from the daemons line in rc.conf and if desired, use pacman to remove it as well?

[EDIT] Just tried to remove hal and dbus from my daemon line and restarted the laptop. It had a bit of a hiccup where it didn't load GNOME straight off on its own, I had to use startx, and a few of the little icons/applets in my top bar, for switching user and shutting down the machine didn't seem to want to work. Put hal and dbus back in their place and everything is back to how it was.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-06-22 01:06:39)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#5 2010-06-22 02:06:14

Coacher

removing dbus from rc.conf is generally a bad idea. Although even xorg-server doesnt require hal anymore it doesnt mean that there is no software that still rely on it. Run pacman -Qi hal and look for the list of packages that depend on hal there.
In my case its pcmanfm and kdelibs.

Last edited by Coacher (2010-06-22 02:06:46)

#6 2010-06-22 14:32:40

Ben9250
Website

Ah now the GNOME keyboard settings appear to only temporarily fix the problem, when I log out it still switches back to us. I tried to edit xorg.conf even though I doubted it would make a difference and then used gconf-editor to remove the us layout from the kbd driver section but still no joy.

- H. G. Wells

#7 2010-06-22 22:58:38

karlzt

go to:  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

edit

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

add the line: Option "XkbLayout" "  "

for example:

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "XkbLayout" "en"
EndSection

Last edited by karlzt (2010-06-22 23:01:10)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Einstein

Black holes are nothing but gigantic galactic segfaults

#8 2010-06-23 10:24:27

m4co
Website

Hi there,

got the same problem but the above code didn\t work

the keyboard stops working when I add that new line so I have to log out, log in as root and comment the line to get it back

what could be wrong?

EDIT>
This was my try

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "XkbLayout" "sv-latin1"
EndSection

in fact, trying on terminal

$ setxkbmap sv-latin1
Error loading new keyboard description

so is there a package missing?

Last edited by m4co (2010-06-23 10:26:26)

Don't panic !

#9 2010-06-23 11:24:00

kazuo
Website

sv-latin1 is a console only keymap (its is at /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/sv-latin1.map.gz owned by kbd)

sv-latin1 is a swedish layout correct? So look for 'se' layout

EDIT the xkb definitions for Xorg are at /usr/share/X11/xkb/ for example /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/se list the variants of swedish se layout

Last edited by kazuo (2010-06-23 11:29:07)

#10 2010-06-23 12:48:12

m4co
Website

yes, you nailed it kazuo

thank you!

(opa, Brasileiro big_smile)

Don't panic !

Board footer