You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-22 10:24:06

Grojnak

Several hardware issues.

Hello everybody. First of all, excuse my English. I know I need to improve it.

I just installed Arch and KDEMod and I have some hardware problems:

Screen:
I installed nouveau driver over a GT 220 card. It works well, but KDE boot with a frequency my screen can't handle, so I see black zones. I can change it in the KDE System Configurator, but it doesn't remember that settings and every time I restart the computer it boots with the wrong frequency.

Audio:
I have external USB speakers. When I load manually the module snd_usb_audio they work and sound perfectly, but it doesn't when is loaded automatically via modprobe.conf. To avoid possible conflicts I disabled the on-board sound card in the BIOS.

Bluetooth:
I have a USB bluetooth receiver. Every boot I have to unplug and plug it to the computer so Kbluetooth can see it. Done this, it works perfectly, but it's a bit frustrating to have to do that once and once again.

Boot:
Arch takes about 7 minutes to load. Udev load (or stop loading, I don't know) after the 180 seconds idle time and HAL takes more or less the same. The firsts boots were so fast and there wasn't hardware changes, so I don't know the reason of that.

And I think that's all. I also can't get Flash to work (is a 64 bit system) but there is a lot of documentation over there about it and I won't ask it again.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Grojnak (2010-06-22 10:27:10)

#2 2010-06-22 11:01:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Several hardware issues.

Grojnak wrote:

Your English is fine -- easy to understand smile

Grojnak wrote:

Audio:
I have external USB speakers. When I load manually the module snd_usb_audio they work and sound perfectly, but it doesn't when is loaded automatically via modprobe.conf. To avoid possible conflicts I disabled the on-board sound card in the BIOS.

Have you added snd_usb_audio to MODULES in /etc/rc.conf?

#3 2010-06-22 12:02:41

zenlord
Website

Grojnak wrote:

I just installed Arch and KDEMod and I have some hardware problems:

Screen:
I installed nouveau driver over a GT 220 card. It works well, but KDE boot with a frequency my screen can't handle, so I see black zones. I can change it in the KDE System Configurator, but it doesn't remember that settings and every time I restart the computer it boots with the wrong frequency.

Audio:

Bluetooth:
I have a USB bluetooth receiver. Every boot I have to unplug and plug it to the computer so Kbluetooth can see it. Done this, it works perfectly, but it's a bit frustrating to have to do that once and once again.

Boot:
Arch takes about 7 minutes to load. Udev load (or stop loading, I don't know) after the 180 seconds idle time and HAL takes more or less the same. The firsts boots were so fast and there wasn't hardware changes, so I don't know the reason of that.

And I think that's all. I also can't get Flash to work (is a 64 bit system) but there is a lot of documentation over there about it and I won't ask it again.

Thank you very much.

Screen:
You should figure out the frequencies your monitor can handle and then put them in your /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf - that way X and all DE's and WM's will remember the correct monitor settings.

Bluetooth:
Do a tail -f /var/log/dmesg upon inserting the BT adapter and see what happens. You probably need to load more than 1 module to get the adapter to work

Boot:
That's a very long time. On a not-too-old system it should not take more than 2 minutes (under 30s is possible). If you have installed the latest Xorg (1.8), than HAL is not needed anymore. IIRC KDE still uses HAL, so somethings might stop working in KDE when you disable HAL to figure out what's taking so long.

Flash on amd64:
That package was recently removed because of security issues upstream. You could try gnash, swfdec or the newest alternative: lightspark-git in AUR to replace the flashplugin.

HTH

Zl.

#4 2010-06-23 13:42:09

Grojnak

Thank you very much.

Finally I decided to return to my loved Debian Sid. I think I'm neither smart not patient enough to fight with Arch. Maybe in a near future.

I want to insist, thank you very very much for you time and help.

Board footer