You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-29 07:34:27

rogue
Website

[solved] System Freezes Upon Wifi Connect - BCM4313

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One AO722 netbook with a BCM4313 Mini PCI-E card. My issue started immediately after installing wicd (not gtk), setting it up, and rebooting. Once shutdown, I unplugged the ethernet cable from the netbook, and powered on. I'm not very experienced with wicd, but once I was dropped into bash after boot-up, I knew there was trouble. Output immediately after entering bash (haven't even logged in or typed anything) looks as so:

login: [   14.217055] ieee80211 phy0: wl_ops_config: change monitor mode: false (implement)
[    14.217197] ieee80211 phy0: wl_ops_config: change power-save mode: false (implement)
[    14.217967] ieee80211 phy0: wl_ops_bss_info_changed: qos enabled: false (implement) 

Pressing Enter clears the output and I am left with the regular login prompt. I am able to login, but as soon as I issue "startx", the system freezes. One other time, X started and awesome WM loaded, but the system was frozen. I found out that by configuring my home wifi network in wicd to autoconnect, it was causing the system to freeze upon connection (I suppose.) If I boot up, and connect with ethernet leaving wlan0 unconnected (yet on), all works well. After uncommenting autoconnect in my home network's wicd config, I am able to boot up fine without issue, until I attempt to connect to a wireless network in wicd-curses client. The problem definitely seems to only occur when I try to connect to a network, as scanning networks doesn't seem to bother it.

I am using the brcmsmac driver which is in the kernel. I've blacklisted acer-wmi, and bcma modules with modprobe configs. I've done some reading about various kernel panic/system freeze issues with this card, and am really left clueless as to what to do next. Any help will be kindly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rogue (2011-09-30 04:30:46)

#2 2011-09-30 04:30:21

rogue
Website

Re: [solved] System Freezes Upon Wifi Connect - BCM4313

I uninstalled wicd, and installed netcfg and everything seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, I am not sure why wicd was freezing my machine up.

#3 2011-10-08 22:18:22

Ricepicker

Rogue! I beg you to tell me how you did, we got the exact same model and the same problem.

I tried three different types of managers.
wicd.
Networkmanager.
And I tried netcfg but didn't get it too work.

I blacklisted the drivers aswell, but yeah.. I didn't get the netcfg too work.
Could you please tell me how you did? Any drivers you downloaded?

Much love if you reply!

#4 2011-10-10 08:29:30

rogue
Website

All you need to do is install netcfg. Don't blacklist any wifi drivers. Create a profile or install wifi-select to use with netcfg. Remove network from the daemon list. Do you have the internal microphone working yet? That is the last thing I'm having trouble with, otherwise, I've got it fully functional.

Board footer