You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-05 06:11:27

Misaka

Strange issue with USB mouse and USB headset.

Good day everyone.
I was experiencing a rather strange issue with my mouse and headset(both USB).
I am using KDE and ALSA, if that matters.
They are working just fine, but sometimes, when I try to lower\raise volume, my mouse derps out. I can move it around, but I can't click on anything(sometimes though, I can click on stuff in window that was active before and sometimes only on KDE panel) until I re-plug my headset. Then, nothing can use my headset until I reboot.
Anybody ever had that problem?

#2 2011-10-05 09:11:09

FrozenFox
Website

Re: Strange issue with USB mouse and USB headset.

I've had similar problems for some time now. Unfortunately, I don't know what the issue is either, but perhaps we can come up with some setup similarities and narrow it down. I have similar trouble with just alsa or with pulseaudio, so that's not it. It is unrelated to the DE, as it happened for me in both gnome 2 and xfce 4. It is not related to the machine either, as the same quirks occur in other machines with the same headset. I have had inconclusive results with downgrading to kernel26-lts, the ancient kernel. I thought at some point it messed up and I was sure the older kernel didnt help, but after trying recently-ish, I had no trouble for days -- until I found that I didn't have trouble on the main kernel either. ... then a few days later, it showed up again. Very irritating!

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=122475

Does my old thread sound like your issue somewhat?

Essentially, at times, if the headset (wireless) is changed into a different power state (unplugged/plugged) or the mic state is toggled (mute/unmute), things that could be clicked on normally cant unless theyre in the window already focused -- mostly.

What headset are you using? 32 or 64 bit arch? Have you tried downgrading to kernel26-lts?

#3 2011-10-07 06:26:23

Misaka

Yeah, my issue are similar to yours.
My Headset are Creartive USB HS-950, I am using 64-bit arch, and no, I have not yet tried to downgrade my kernel.
[UPDATE]
Noticed a strange thing.
Whenever I press Right Mouse button in active window, It magicaly brings everything back to normal.
See if that helps you with your issue.

Last edited by Misaka (2011-10-09 06:53:14)

#4 2011-10-13 13:43:53

FrozenFox
Website

It doesn't resolve the issue for me, but does sometimes occasionally work around it until I switch to another window.. ie, it changes the behavior but doesnt fully work around or fix it.

However, I did find something interesting. If I run xev in the console (from the package xorg-xev), mouse over the input box, then mute/unmute the mic, it says it released button 13 and gave the system a "NotifyGrab" or "NotifyUngrab" signal of some sort. I wonder if this means it may be related to xorg thinking the current window is being grabbed or something?

Last edited by FrozenFox (2011-10-13 13:48:24)

#5 2012-01-25 18:11:43

synthead

I have the same issue with a Sennheiser OfficeRunner here.

Bus 001 Device 071: ID 1395:740a Sennheiser Communications

#6 2012-01-26 16:55:08

synthead

Fixed.

Run lsusb to find your USB device vendor and product IDs:

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1395:740a Sennheiser Communications

We're concerned about "1395:740a".  If you are using a different headset with the same issue, your ID will be different.  Now, open up /etc/X11/xorg.conf with your favorite text editor, and add this somewhere:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier     "Sennheiser OfficeRunner"
        MatchUSBID     "1395:740a"
        Option         "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

The Identifier string can be anything you want, although since we're blacklisting it, you'll never reference it.  Put your USB vendor and product string above into the MatchUSBID string.  Restart X and you're done.

I've also confirmed that this will allow the USB audio function to work properly (when the headset is active via the previously troublesome button).

Board footer