You are not logged in.

#51 2011-10-08 16:05:53

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81:

I've installed yout unity-2d. It's working allright. I have some problems: the time is not shown on the panel, only "Time" string, and with compiz the title bar buttons are displayed incorrectly. I couldn't test unity-3d, because this version still has an ati bug.

Anyway, thanks for making the package!

Last edited by kuglee (2011-10-08 16:06:50)

Offline

#52 2011-10-08 16:24:00

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81: I currently have a git repository at github with only Unity and its dependencies. Do you mind if I add your PKGBUILD's, such as the indicators (of course, giving you all the credit)?


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#53 2011-10-08 19:17:32

thn81
Member
Registered: 2009-08-27
Posts: 88

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

kuglee wrote:

I have some problems: the time is not shown on the panel, only "Time" string, and with compiz the title bar buttons are displayed incorrectly.

The first one is an Ubuntu oddity: The indicator-datetime looks for file /etc/timezone containing the name of your timezone (which is in /etc/rc.conf).
Don't know about the second one.

chenxiaolong wrote:

libappindicator no longer compiles due to a problem in the perl-xml-sax package.

perl-xml-libxml needs to be updated. As a temporary workaround, comment out line 1932 in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/XML/LibXML.pm. libappindicator should compile again.

chenxiaolong wrote:

I currently have a git repository at github with only Unity and its dependencies. Do you mind if I add your PKGBUILD's, such as the indicators (of course, giving you all the credit)?

Sure, no problem.

Offline

#54 2011-10-08 19:30:47

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81 wrote:

perl-xml-libxml needs to be updated. As a temporary workaround, comment out line 1932 in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/XML/LibXML.pm. libappindicator should compile again.

Thanks, that worked big_smile

thn81 wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

I currently have a git repository at github with only Unity and its dependencies. Do you mind if I add your PKGBUILD's, such as the indicators (of course, giving you all the credit)?

Sure, no problem.

tongue

EDIT: thn81: When I finish uploading the PKGBUILD's to github, I can give you write access if you want.

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-10-08 19:34:18)


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#55 2011-10-09 08:25:04

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81 wrote:

The first one is an Ubuntu oddity: The indicator-datetime looks for file /etc/timezone containing the name of your timezone (which is in /etc/rc.conf).

Thanks!

Offline

#56 2011-10-09 18:36:18

thn81
Member
Registered: 2009-08-27
Posts: 88

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Updated to ver. 1.2 to correct some packaging mistakes I made. See post #46 for download link.

Offline

#57 2011-10-09 20:56:57

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81:
Thank for the update.
Could you build indicator-network? I've tried installing it from AUR, but building failed.

Offline

#58 2011-10-11 21:13:56

taliesin
Member
Registered: 2011-10-11
Posts: 5

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

I just wanted to add that I appreciate the work of those who are trying to port Unity to Arch.

I'm in the process of switching from Ubuntu to Arch, but I do actually like Unity, for the most part, regardless of any politics around Unity, Canonical, etc.

So don't let anyone discourage you from this goal!

Offline

#59 2011-10-13 17:39:35

breno.leite
Member
Registered: 2011-10-13
Posts: 2

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Testing unity-2d and it looks great so far!

My only complaint is that I tried to enabled the notification area for all applications under dconf /desktop/unity/panel but it didn't work.

Thanks guys.

Offline

#60 2011-10-13 18:35:59

PranavG
Member
From: Nagpur (India)
Registered: 2011-09-25
Posts: 50

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Great Work Guys! Let's Make Arch a universal Distro. Which can install any DE, any software , almost anything in this world.

By  the way, can anyone give me the detailed instructions to install unity-2d or unity in arch linux?

Last edited by PranavG (2011-10-13 18:43:51)

Offline

#61 2011-10-13 23:36:38

ssivil
Member
Registered: 2011-09-23
Posts: 28

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Let me also say "great work" to those working on Unity!  When Unity become available under Arch, we'll have one truly awesome operating system.  I can't wait!!

Offline

#62 2011-10-14 04:37:45

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Right now, I'm pretty sure the UTouch stack is causing Unity to not start. I'm almost done porting UTouch to Arch Linux. The evdev driver with multitouch patches works now, but the synaptics driver (with the patches) crashes Xorg. Hopefully, I'll find out which patch is causing it to crash soon.

I have almost all the Unity dependencies in my git repo now: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch

Most the packages contain PKGBUILD modifications from thn81 (thank you!) as well as the original AUR packagers.

I'll upload my Xorg PKGBUILD's with UTouch patches to a separate git repository sometime tomorrow.


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#63 2011-10-14 08:13:04

flamelab
Member
From: Athens, Hellas (Greece)
Registered: 2007-12-26
Posts: 2,160

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Could you also add a build order in REAME ? smile

Offline

#64 2011-10-14 14:01:22

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Sure smile Here you go: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … ter/README

EDIT: All of the packages that you autotools (./configure) or CMake support parallel builds using "make -j#". I kinda forgot about that when I was testing Qt and wasted many hours waiting for the darn thing to compile tongue

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-10-14 14:04:52)


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#65 2011-10-14 16:10:49

flamelab
Member
From: Athens, Hellas (Greece)
Registered: 2007-12-26
Posts: 2,160

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Thank you very much smile

Offline

#66 2011-10-14 23:09:26

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Should I set the revisions of all the packages in my git repo to >100? Every time I do a system upgrade, yaourt wants to replace a bunch of the packages with the AUR versions of them. Would everyone be happy with a higher revision number?


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#67 2011-10-17 15:47:06

rleyh
Member
From: germany
Registered: 2011-10-14
Posts: 28

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:

Should I set the revisions of all the packages in my git repo to >100? Every time I do a system upgrade, yaourt wants to replace a bunch of the packages with the AUR versions of them. Would everyone be happy with a higher revision number?

Just do it. Whoever installs your packages probably wants them in favor of the AUR packages.

Any chance to see your (and thn81 and City-Busz of course) packages as custom repo or even in AUR? I'd upload my x86_64 builds but libXi-ubuntu fails building for me.

Offline

#68 2011-10-17 16:06:39

City-busz
Trusted User (TU)
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2010-12-27
Posts: 162
Website

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

My packages (including unity and unity-2d) are available in ayatana repo (i686 only). All packages are up to date now, but unity and unity-2d still requires some tweak to work properly. (Unity 2D requires qt 4.7.4, so after I update my qt-ubuntu package, unity-2d should works.)

My main problem is that I have an old, i686 only PC, and building packages takes long time, so I need a build server or a new PC to provide a working Unity DE.


My packages | My PGP Key: 0x0901C163

Offline

#69 2011-10-17 16:29:44

breno.leite
Member
Registered: 2011-10-13
Posts: 2

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

rleyh wrote:

I'd upload my x86_64 builds but libXi-ubuntu fails building for me.

I had problem compiling libxi-ubuntu as well. I solved it by compiling inputproto-ubuntu before compiling it.

Offline

#70 2011-10-17 17:28:55

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

rleyh wrote:

Just do it. Whoever installs your packages probably wants them in favor of the AUR packages.

Any chance to see your (and thn81 and City-Busz of course) packages as custom repo or even in AUR? I'd upload my x86_64 builds but libXi-ubuntu fails building for me.

Okay, I'll change the revision numbers. L42y has kindly created a VPS account for me, so when all the packages are working correctly, I will be able to provide x86_64 and i686 (build in chroot) packages in a custom repo smile

breno.leite wrote:

I had problem compiling libxi-ubuntu as well. I solved it by compiling inputproto-ubuntu before compiling it.

I fixed the build order in the readme file. Thanks for the info!


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#71 2011-10-18 00:11:42

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Just a quick question, is the open source ATI driver xf86-video-ati? I need to create PKGBUILD's for the graphics drivers because the Xorg server ABI changed between the Ubuntu and Arch Linux version.


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#72 2011-10-18 07:19:24

rleyh
Member
From: germany
Registered: 2011-10-14
Posts: 28

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong wrote:

Just a quick question, is the open source ATI driver xf86-video-ati? I need to create PKGBUILD's for the graphics drivers because the Xorg server ABI changed between the Ubuntu and Arch Linux version.

xf86-video-ati is correct.

Offline

#73 2011-10-18 19:57:48

chenxiaolong
Member
From: /home/chenxiaolong
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 779

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

rleyh wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

Just a quick question, is the open source ATI driver xf86-video-ati? I need to create PKGBUILD's for the graphics drivers because the Xorg server ABI changed between the Ubuntu and Arch Linux version.

xf86-video-ati is correct.

Thanks! I've added xf86-video-ati-ubuntu to my git repo.


Current system: Lenovo W520
Unity-for-Arch repos' build statuses and old packages: https://jenkins.noobdev.io/

Offline

#74 2011-10-19 18:44:22

thn81
Member
Registered: 2009-08-27
Posts: 88

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Updated PKGBUILD package to version 1.2.1 which contains some package updates and two bugfixes for Unity: The shutdown problem is partially fixed (still hangs sometimes) and the "Whitelist=All"-Problem for notifier icons is fixed. See ChangeLog and README in the tarball for more information, download link below.
A brief note on Gestures/Multitouch: I do not intend to reactivate gesture support as it requires a patched X server. Unfortunately the ubuntu patches are for server 1.10 while Arch is now at 1.11. Keeping the older version will break things sooner or later (as soon as some X libraries begin to depend on the newer version). So I don't think it's worth the trouble and pain.

thn81

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?vrqwkwwo6cose0o

Offline

#75 2011-10-23 11:48:56

kuglee
Member
Registered: 2011-09-02
Posts: 61

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

chenxiaolong:
I installed your packages, and now unity-3d is woking, although I have a minor issue: occasionally when I change window the indicators quit or crash, I'm not sure, then they reload.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB