You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-27 11:11:07

mylvari

[SOLVED] Need to manually toggle rc.d/network for network card to work

I installed (or actually re-installed) Arch yesterday and have an unusual problem. After boot, I don't have internet connection and I think that the network card isn't active either because i can't see light in my switch's panel.

I have managed to get the connection to work but the procedure is pretty strange.
There's a line "interface=eth1" in my /etc/rc.conf. I change it to "interface=eth0" and execute "/etc/rc.d/network restart". For some reason it prints "RTNETLINK answers: File exists" at this point.

Now there's no internet connection nor activity in switch's panel. I change "interface=eth1" back to /etc/rc.conf and execute "/etc/rc.d/network restart". Now i can connect to internet and there's a green light in switch's panel.

According to lspci my two network cards are named "NVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)"(integrated into motherboard) and "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)."

I already thought that maybe they are just loading in different orders at boot so I added their modules into rc.conf but it didn't do the trick. Googling about that RTNETLINK thing gave some results, but if understood them correctly, they are doing something similar what I have been doing.

Last edited by mylvari (2011-10-28 08:39:52)

#2 2011-10-28 08:39:02

mylvari

Re: [SOLVED] Need to manually toggle rc.d/network for network card to work

I don't know if this card is Realtek based, but wiki's advice for Realtek cards worked. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … _WOL_issue

Board footer