You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-15 23:05:47

Shofs

Free internet connection on any PC, without ANY hardware !!!

This simple DIY installation uses a small safe program & a few household items. The program emulates a Wi-Fi network using your existing TV antenna to connect to existing local networks.

I skimmed the site and don't really know what to make of it. Maybe someone with more electronics background can tell us all more about it.

#2 2005-07-16 00:28:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Free internet connection on any PC, without ANY hardware !!!

Hmmm technically it *could* work - but it'd be better if the app was open source...

the thing is... any antenna has the potential to pick up wifi signals... you get more accuracy at 0.5*wavelength increments, but it doesn't need to be so.

the main problem with picking up signals is knowing a) the frequency you're looking for (known in this case) and b) the modulation technique used (known again)

all this is really doing is making a wifi version of a "winmodem" - it's all software...

#3 2005-07-16 02:03:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

You dont get free internet if there isnt any wireless networks nearby. sad

#4 2005-07-16 14:16:59

kleptophobiac

I'm rather doubting this can work. The serial port hardware can't switch at those frequencies.

#5 2005-07-16 16:05:19

iBertus

if this does work... it seems, i don't know, wrong! unless of course the network being spied is owned by you or someone you know, which would make this pointless. i don't have a wireless network around here or i'd try it out.

#6 2005-07-16 23:19:52

kleptophobiac

phrakture wrote:

Hmmm technically it *could* work - but it'd be better if the app was open source...<snip>all this is really doing is making a wifi version of a "winmodem" - it's all software...

The serial port operates at a maximum of 115 KHz, 802.11b runs 2.4GHz. There's a big difference there...

#7 2005-07-17 06:08:49

iBertus

kleptophobiac wrote:
phrakture wrote:

Hmmm technically it *could* work - but it'd be better if the app was open source...<snip>all this is really doing is making a wifi version of a "winmodem" - it's all software...

The serial port operates at a maximum of 115 KHz, 802.11b runs 2.4GHz. There's a big difference there...

yes, this would seem to be a problem.

#8 2005-07-17 06:24:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

wifi-spy.exe?

that frame on the bottom of the page?

spyware?

noooooooo........... never...............................

#9 2005-07-17 09:00:53

CyberTron
Website

I am quite sure that this is not possible, but then again it might...

iphitus: You think it is spyware?! , targeted to who? because, you probably (not always true though)  don't have an internetconnection at home if you wanna use the program, and if it don't work, it cannnot send the information it need to send, and if it were a virus, it can only do harm on that computer nothing more...(which is not the best kinid of virus if one wanted information or wanting it to spread)

And if it does work, and is  a spyware, then what the hell, it makes me use my internet for free big_smile

btw. I would never use it, i pay for my internet big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#10 2005-07-17 11:42:58

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i was being slightly sarcastic, but you never know.

iphitus

#11 2005-07-17 16:35:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

If the concept is workable, I see no reason that there isn't an open source package available...

On a semi-similar topic, I remember reading a while back about a sort of broadband wireless sharing concept. You could get these cheap medium distance wireless routers connected to people's ADSL lines. Then people could connect to the wireless signal and end up with a total bandwidth well above that supplied by a single ADSL line. Sort of like sharing bandwidth the way bittorrent shares files. I have no idea where I read it (may have been a dream :oops:), but I wondered if anybody else had heard of such a thing.

Dusty

Board footer