You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-10 03:14:44

Axanon

[SOLVED] Routing question: 2 internet connections and a router

I want to create a slightly obscure setup, but not sure how it's done..

I have 2 computers on a home network connected to the internet via the router.  I want Comp1 and Comp2 to be able to talk to each other, but I don't want any internet traffic going out on Comp2 (eth0) through the router. I have a 2nd internet connection on Comp2 (eth1) which seems to be connected, but it is still sending everything out to the router. How do I keep all internet facing traffic on eth1, while all local traffic is on eth0?

Last edited by Axanon (2011-11-10 04:38:21)

#2 2011-11-10 04:02:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Routing question: 2 internet connections and a router

Set your router to block comp2's internet access? I'm assuming you have Arch on both, in which case you should be able to manipulate your routing table on Comp2 to favour eth1 (man route), shouldn't affect inter-computer connectivity in any way. But this is easiest done via your router.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-11-10 04:38:03

Axanon

Re: [SOLVED] Routing question: 2 internet connections and a router

Actually, I tried something else.. which seems to work.. I couldn't block only WAN access from my router for one computer (that was what I tried first).. Here's what I did though:

I setup 2 profiles for netcfg via  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ro … figuration and loading eth1 (the WAN IP) first.. (I also setup static udev rules for the devices). so far things seem to be working as I want. Persistence really does pay off smile. Thanks though ngoonee

Board footer