You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-28 11:35:05

marc

eth0: no such device

I have a Intel Ethernet Pro 100 net card, using module "eepro100"

The module was included in the kernel (compiled in, not as a module). I set my hostname in rc.conf, as well as IP, netmask and broadcast for eth0. I also set default gateway in rc.conf

In resolv.conf I put in nameserver values for lo and eth0

I had IP addresses, domainname and hostname for eth0 and lo in /etc/hosts

Typing "modprobe eepro100" gives an error:

"/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: unresolved symbol"
There are 4 lines with variations of the first line, basically saying "mii.o" failed and "eepro100" failed

I tried "ifconfig <ip address>", I got this error:

"SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
eth0: unknown interface: no such device"

Typing "/sbin/route add -net default gw <gateway>" returns this error:

"SIOCADDRT: network is unreachable"

I have since recompiled the kernel and set "eepro100" as a module (not compiled in).
When the dust settled, I typed "modprobe eepro100" and naturally got the same error as before.

Seems like the card is not being recognized or found. I'm wondering if my other hardware might also not be found. eepro100 is the first thing I tried to set up.

I'd appreciate any help here, obviously without net access I'm stuck with a base install.

#2 2003-11-28 11:49:04

dauphin

Re: eth0: no such device

Have you loaded the mii module first (modprobe or insmod mii)? Maybe then you can load eepro100.
If you can get the modules to load, I think you should be testing with ifconfig eth0, not ifconfig <ip address>

#3 2003-11-28 13:08:07

marc

I tried loading mii (insmod and modprobe), but I get similar errors as before:
/lib/modules........ unresolved symbol printk_Rsmp
/lib/modules....... unresolved symbol netdev_watchdog_up_Rsmp

Is there a command I can use to check the PCI bus? (like scanpci or lspci from debian)

#4 2003-11-28 13:37:00

andy

The unresolved symbols in your last post have to do with SMP, i.e. your modules are compiled for an SMP kernel, whereas (I guess) your kernel is not SMP. What were the unresolved symbols you encountered in your first post ?
What kernel are you using ?
And which modules ?
It *may* have been that you were using the kernel from the installation CD which likely is not SMP, but are uing the modules which are SMP.

Another thing : when re-compiling the kernel and modules, did you also do make modules_install ?

#5 2003-11-28 14:06:44

sarah31
Website

actually andy the stock arch kernel has smp compiled in. in this case i don't know if it is causing the troubles (smp will not play well with certain setups on occasion) so try compiling it out.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2003-11-28 14:52:34

andy

Both kernels ? I.e. the one that is used to boot the CD and the one that is in the kernel-package ? If my memory is not totally wrong, the two kernels are slightly different. The stock pacman-package kernel is SMP, I know. What about the one that boots the install media - maybe marc just copied that kernel (for whatever reason).

I just vaguely remember similar problems, but I also remember I solved it with setting up properly the kernel and the modules.

#7 2003-11-28 15:13:24

sarah31
Website

well the stock iso kernel i believe is also smp enabled but it is 2.4.21 not 2.4.22 which is the version of the current arch kernel. AFAIK all stock kernels arde smp enabled.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-11-28 16:16:14

marc

I decided to re-install from scratch and compile the kernel during the installation process.

I took out the SMP option and did:

make dep clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

After trying "modprobe eepro100", I didn't get the Rsmp error, but still got the other error (the "watchdog" error I mentioned previously). Still no progress.

I'm using the standard kernel for IDE from the install iso (2.4.21)

I think I'll try loading the "eepro" module. I installed it as a module just in case

#9 2003-11-28 17:21:44

andy

OK, I would not complicate things. First, I would try NOT to recompile the kernel, just take the one that Arch installs for you. It hardly matters that you have SMP in the kernel.

Once you have set up your network with a "known" kernel you can move on and compile your own. If the NIC fails then, you most certainly know that something went wrong during compilation.

Now, I assume you also rebooted your system ?
Also, I'm a bit confused about when you are using modules, when you have the driver compiled in and when you are doing a modprobe ?
Note, that if you compile a driver into the kernel and still do a modprobe (which you should not), then modprobe may still look in /lib/modules/..../ and actually find something from a previous kernel/modules install ! That is calling for trouble !
You say, you disabled SMP, recompiled everything and installed everything ? Yet you get an unresolved symbol wich has "SMP" in its string ? Am I right ? The watchdog-messgae has "SMP" at the end.

Now, something completely different : try the e100 module - it's an EtherExpress driver by Intel itself - it works for one of my machines.

#10 2003-11-28 17:53:29

marc

OK, just to clarify:
My first attempt at setting up eth0 was with the standard (not compiled by me) 2.4.21 kernel from the iso. I got these same errors at that stage. So I know there is a problem using that kernel.

Then I recompiled the same kernel (during re-install) but taking out the SMP option and compiling in eepro100 and e100 as modules <M>. This still brought errors on "modprobe", but not relating to SMP (Rsmp)

The errors for "modprobe eepro100" at this stage with my recompiled 2.4.21 kernel:

/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: unresolved symbol: __netdev_watchdog_up_R9a7e3a94
/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: insmod  /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: insmod eepro100 failed

I tried installing the e100 module (modprobe e100), but it gave me 11 different errors of more or less the same format as the above

#11 2003-11-29 05:55:04

marc

I haven't been able to get it working yet. I downloaded the 2.4.23 kernel via Mandrake, so I'll try installing that later, see if it makes a difference

Btw, I'm starting up Arch with the install iso, using the command "vmlinuz root=/dev/discs/disc0/part5" at the "boot" prompt. I didn't install a bootloader because I want to use the LILO already installed for Mdk. However, I can't get it to work - lilo complains about missing initrd.

Any ideas on that?

#12 2003-11-29 09:41:56

dauphin

If you're starting Arch from the install iso, are you sure it is booting the right kernel?  I had a problem when I started and could not get my network card detected whether I used the standard kernel or compiled my own.  Evnetually I realised it was because I was booting from floppy and the kernel I had installed was not being used.  As soon as I installed a boot loader the problem was cured.

[/quote]

#13 2003-11-29 18:01:48

marc

Finally, my eth0 is is up and running   lol  I installed and compiled the 2.4.23 kernel, got it to work with lilo and everything booted up just fine

I'm not convinced it was a problem with the 2.4.21 kernel, I think it's more along the lines of something I didn't do before that I did now.

Anyway, it works

Thanks for the help

Board footer