You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-19 16:33:31

Cheesecake Charlie

broadcom-wl or brcmsmac

Hi have been using the broadcom-wl driver and not sure if i should go back to using brcmsmac instead.  What are other people using ?  I have an Acer TimelineX.

Cheers

#2 2011-11-20 17:16:45

kennym
Website

Re: broadcom-wl or brcmsmac

Cheesecake Charlie wrote:

Hi have been using the broadcom-wl driver and not sure if i should go back to using brcmsmac instead.  What are other people using ?  I have an Acer TimelineX.

Cheers

I am also using the broadcom-wl driver, and also have a laptop of the Acer TimelineX series. Are there any reasons you would go back to brcmsmac?

Kenny

...and of course: FU Gnome 3 haters

#3 2011-11-20 17:40:39

canen

I switched from broadcom-wl to brcmsmac and see no issues; it means I don't have to do a re-compile after every kernel update. Generally, I also prefer to use built in modules where possible.

#4 2011-11-20 20:55:43

/dev/zero

Cheesecake Charlie wrote:

Cheers

I seem to recall the existence of a wiki article that lists the available choices in order of preference - with wl down the bottom.

I personally use wl, but only because the ones further up the list didn't seem to work on my machine, which has a BCM 43227 802.11 controller.

(Note how the laptop branding is irrelevant here: you should use lspci and friends to determine the actual wifi device. That way any solutions you find will cross over to people who have the same card on different laptops.)

Board footer