You are not logged in.

#151 2011-11-26 15:04:36

poltak

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

thn81 wrote:

It means that /usr/lib/libindicator3.so.6 is missing. This library is in the libindicator3 package and should have been installed as a dependency. Try reinstalling it manually:

# pacman -S libindicator3

Well this clears one thing up. libindicator3 was indeed not installed as a dependency when entering `# pacman -S unity`. Well anyway, now `# compiz ccp` just gives a black screen with a cursor. I'm assuming the black background's because the wallpaper compiz plugin is not enabled. Anyway, starting the 'Ubuntu' session from a DM still does the same. Cleared one thing up though.

UPDATE: Well it's being a completely awful to me this afternoon, so I'm going to have a go at compiling it form the PKGBUILD in the AUR again using the libindicator3 package installed. See if I have any luck. Any suggestions feel free to say in the meantime.

UPDATE 2: Heh... well I built al the dependencies for the AUR package 'Unity' and it got to compiling the actual package called 'unity'. It stops after trying to link C++ lib libunity-core-4.0.so with an error. I will post the last few lines before the error:

[ 52%] Building CXX object UnityCore/CMakeFiles/unity-core-4.0.dir/Variant.cpp.o
Linking CXX shared library libunity-core-4.0.so
[ 52%] Built target unity-core-4.0
make: *** [all] Error 2

Then it fails.

Having no luck tonight, am I? tongue

UPDATE 3: Managed to get past that part, but still failed later on in the compilation. Anyway, I removed the libindicator3 package that I got from the custom repo, and changed the Unity PKGBUILD's depend and makedepend of 'libindicator3' (which doesn't exist in the AUR) to simply 'libindicator' and hooray, after compiling libindicator (not libindicator3) successfully, it got past the 52% stage. But as I said, it failed later on in the build. Here is the output from where it fails now:

-- Installing: /home/poltak/packages/unity/pkg/unity-common/usr/share/compiz/networkarearegion.xml
running /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=/home/poltak/packages/unity/src/unity-4.24.0/build/generated/compiz-networkarearegion.schemas > /dev/null  2>&1
sh: line 1: 28982 Aborted                 /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=/home/poltak/packages/unity/src/unity-4.24.0/build/generated/compiz-networkarearegion.schemas > /dev/null 2>&1
-- Installing: /home/poltak/packages/unity/pkg/unity-common/usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-networkarearegion.schemas
-- Installing: /home/poltak/packages/unity/pkg/unity-common/usr/lib/compiz/libnetworkarearegion.so
mv: cannot stat `/home/poltak/packages/unity/pkg/unity-common/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.freedesktop.compiz.*.gschema.xml': No such file or directory

Bit stumped at this one. Also, about the libindicator3 thing~ should I prompt the maintainer for a quick update to the PKGBUILD, or am I missing something with the libindicator3 package?

Last edited by poltak (2011-11-26 17:05:26)

I like Arch

#152 2011-11-26 22:52:19

rleyh

I just updated my last post with more instructions on how to install Unity.

#153 2011-11-26 23:15:39

thn81

libindicator and libindicator3 are both built from the same PKGBUILD (libindicator) and they're both needed for unity.
About the compilation problem: It's just an idea but you could try the following: Edit /etc/makepkg.conf and change the line

MAKEFLAGS="-j2"

to

MAKEFLAGS="-j1"

This turns off simultaneous make jobs. I found that some packages do not like multiple make jobs and didn't compile unless I set -j1 .

#154 2011-11-26 23:38:19

JokerBoy

thn81 - even better: options=(!makeflags)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#options

#155 2011-11-27 02:52:01

poltak

thn81 wrote:

libindicator and libindicator3 are both built from the same PKGBUILD (libindicator) and they're both needed for unity.

About this, I built the libindicator package from AUR first, but the Unity PKGBUILD was adamant that there was no libindicator3 installed. Is there any way I could check this apart from PKGBUILD dependency tests or a pacman query?

About the compilation problem: It's just an idea but you could try the following: Edit /etc/makepkg.conf and change the line

MAKEFLAGS="-j2"

to

MAKEFLAGS="-j1"

This turns off simultaneous make jobs. I found that some packages do not like multiple make jobs and didn't compile unless I set -j1 .

Well I had my MAKEFLAGS at -j5, but even with it forced to -j1, it stops in the same place.

rlehy wrote:

I just updated my last post with more instructions on how to install Unity.

Thanks, I will give it another go with the prebuilts now.

EDIT: Looks like someone else on the Unity AUR page is having the same error as me during compilation.

UPDATE: @rleyh: I've followed your updated instructions with your repo and yep, a lot more things have been installed this time. Only problem is that you mentioned in post #147 that chenxiaolong's AUR package 'compizconfig-backend-kconfig-ubuntu' fails to build for you~ that is where I'm at now. Everything installed fine from your repo, but it also needs that package which won't build. It also has an error when building from chen's git repo (which I'm assuming uses the same PKGBUILD as the AUR version). How did you guys get this to build?

Last edited by poltak (2011-11-27 11:32:09)

I like Arch

#156 2011-11-27 16:32:31

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

After a lot of work, now a fully functional, fully localized Unity 2D available in [ayatana] repo (i686 only)! It requires only a minimal set of patches on gtk2, gtk3, qt and metacity, which are really required to run Ayatana software.

Simply add this repo to your pacman.conf:

[ayatana]
Server = http://repo.ayatana.info/

And run the following command:

sudo pacman -Sy appmenu-gtk2 appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt indicator-application indicator-appmenu indicator-datetime indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound metacity-ubuntu notify-osd unity-2d unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-music

Optionally, you could install some more packages from Ayatana project, and some apps that integrated into Messaging Menu:

sudo pacman -Sy indicator-network indicator-power libreoffice-extension-menubar overlay-scrollbar sni-qt evolution-indicator gwibber-unity liferea-unity telepathy-indicator

All packages are created by me, but I used some fixes from thn81's packages. I plan to rewrite Ayatana's wiki page to provide detailed instructions about installing and using Unity 2D, and building it from AUR, as the most of my packages can be found also in AUR.

#157 2011-11-28 04:46:29

kyla
Website

Very nice! Just installed it for the first time smile

Is there something within unity-2d that does configuration (e.g., setting desktop, theming sort of things) ?

EDIT: It's the gnome settings stuff.

Last edited by kyla (2011-11-28 17:03:15)

#158 2011-11-28 05:29:52

poltak

Alright, after a long time trying different things I gave up. I might wait until I have a bit more free time. After I installed all the packages, I logged out after a while and then xorg-server stopped working altogether (has anyone else had a problem with the xorg-server patched for Ubuntu?), so I decided to leave it for now and have a go later on again. Accidently screwed up my system while uninstalling packages too by mistakenly removing my kernel + most of the system's packages (don't use pacman's -c removal option late at night/early in the morning...) and had to fix it via chrooting from a live heheh... Anyway, that was my fault and it's all fixed now. Will check back later anyway. Great job so far guys smile

I like Arch

#159 2011-11-28 15:09:31

rleyh

poltak wrote:

UPDATE: @rleyh: I've followed your updated instructions with your repo and yep, a lot more things have been installed this time. Only problem is that you mentioned in post #147 that chenxiaolong's AUR package 'compizconfig-backend-kconfig-ubuntu' fails to build for you~ that is where I'm at now. Everything installed fine from your repo, but it also needs that package which won't build. It also has an error when building from chen's git repo (which I'm assuming uses the same PKGBUILD as the AUR version). How did you guys get this to build?

sorry for late answer, i'm having other things to do right now. You can try installing my repo with pacman -Sdd to ignore deps. Unity works fine for me without 'compizconfig-backend-kconfig-ubuntu'.

#160 2011-11-28 18:28:13

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

sorry for late answer, i'm having other things to do right now. You can try installing my repo with pacman -Sdd to ignore deps. Unity works fine for me without 'compizconfig-backend-kconfig-ubuntu'.

Right. compizconfig-backend-kconfig4-ubuntu is only needed for people wanting to use Compiz in KDE without GNOME dependencies.

EDIT: I've finally fixed all the packages so that they cleanly build in a chroot now smile I will be uploading the binary packages to L42y's VPS along with source packages and build logs. All x86_64 packages are compiled and i686 packages are being compiled now (Qt takes so long to compile, even on a Core i7 with "-j8"...).

EDIT 2: I've split my compiz-core-ubuntu package into compiz-core-ubuntu, compiz-gnome-ubuntu, and compiz-kde-ubuntu, so installing Unity won't bring in KDE dependencies (unless you're building from source).

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-28 18:32:42)

#161 2011-11-28 18:44:18

chenxiaolong

City-busz wrote:

After a lot of work, now a fully functional, fully localized Unity 2D available in [ayatana] repo (i686 only)! It requires only a minimal set of patches on gtk2, gtk3, qt and metacity, which are really required to run Ayatana software.

Simply add this repo to your pacman.conf:

[ayatana]
Server = http://repo.ayatana.info/

And run the following command:

sudo pacman -Sy appmenu-gtk2 appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt indicator-application indicator-appmenu indicator-datetime indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound metacity-ubuntu notify-osd unity-2d unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-music

Optionally, you could install some more packages from Ayatana project, and some apps that integrated into Messaging Menu:

sudo pacman -Sy indicator-network indicator-power libreoffice-extension-menubar overlay-scrollbar sni-qt evolution-indicator gwibber-unity liferea-unity telepathy-indicator

All packages are created by me, but I used some fixes from thn81's packages. I plan to rewrite Ayatana's wiki page to provide detailed instructions about installing and using Unity 2D, and building it from AUR, as the most of my packages can be found also in AUR.

Nice job! (And it looks like you found the magical 'launchpad-export.tar.gz' file, too big_smile)

#162 2011-11-29 07:43:17

Kubino

rleyh: thanks for your work. I installed Unity on sunday and on third attempt it runs. It works good until upgrade system at today night. I run pacman -Syu and 10 packages was new (3 of them was from your repo - compiz-core-ubuntu-0.9.6, gtk3-ubuntu and gconf-ubuntu) after upgrade I reboot PC and then Unity 3D don't work. After login to GDM is show only top panel with only globalmenu (menubar) and it's all so I must reboot PC by hardware button. But Unity 2D run still good.

Now I fixed Unity 3D, I installed from AUR another version of compiz-core-ubuntu and runs again good :-)

Last edited by Kubino (2011-11-29 07:54:16)

#163 2011-11-29 13:59:22

rleyh

Kubino wrote:

rleyh: thanks for your work. I installed Unity on sunday and on third attempt it runs. It works good until upgrade system at today night. I run pacman -Syu and 10 packages was new (3 of them was from your repo - compiz-core-ubuntu-0.9.6, gtk3-ubuntu and gconf-ubuntu) after upgrade I reboot PC and then Unity 3D don't work. After login to GDM is show only top panel with only globalmenu (menubar) and it's all so I must reboot PC by hardware button. But Unity 2D run still good.

Now I fixed Unity 3D, I installed from AUR another version of compiz-core-ubuntu and runs again good :-)

I'm glad unity worked for you, at leat in the beginning
Thanks for your post. With latest compiz-core-ubuntu updates Unity crashes for me too. I'm on Unity-2d since this morning smile

Try installing compiz-gnome-ubuntu this should help.

#164 2011-11-29 14:14:40

rleyh

chenxiaolong wrote:

EDIT: I've finally fixed all the packages so that they cleanly build in a chroot now smile I will be uploading the binary packages to L42y's VPS along with source packages and build logs. All x86_64 packages are compiled and i686 packages are being compiled now (Qt takes so long to compile, even on a Core i7 with "-j8"...).

I am looking forward to your repository. smile

#165 2011-11-29 16:54:27

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

Sorry about that, I should have posted here when I split the compiz-core-ubuntu package.

#166 2011-11-29 19:00:55

rleyh

chenxiaolong wrote:
rleyh wrote:

Sorry about that, I should have posted here when I split the compiz-core-ubuntu package.

not your fault. i should have noticed a critical dependency changed big_smile

Last edited by rleyh (2011-11-29 20:58:36)

#167 2011-11-29 21:14:56

chenxiaolong

The binary packages are done compiling for i686 and x86_64 big_smile

If anyone has a server I can upload the packages to, I would really appreciate it. The DNS for L42y's VPS doesn't seem to resolve here sad

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-29 21:17:10)

#168 2011-11-30 09:23:21

rleyh

chenxiaolong wrote:

The binary packages are done compiling for i686 and x86_64 big_smile

If anyone has a server I can upload the packages to, I would really appreciate it. The DNS for L42y's VPS doesn't seem to resolve here sad

As you may have noticed, you can use dropbox.com for such things. not sure bout their tos though.
Did you also try an alternative DNS server like opendns or google (8.8.8.8)?

#169 2011-11-30 18:12:12

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

As you may have noticed, you can use dropbox.com for such things. not sure bout their tos though.
Did you also try an alternative DNS server like opendns or google (8.8.8.8)?

It doesn't seem to be resolvable using any other DNS servers sad

#170 2011-11-30 18:14:56

chenxiaolong

rleyh wrote:

Dropbox is nice, but I'm not sure if I can upload to it automatically. I currently have my 2 build servers set up to pull from git automatically every day, so it would be nice if the uploads could be automated (especially for huge packages where I have to wait for it to upload overnight).

#171 2011-11-30 20:06:39

Kubino

rleyh wrote:
Kubino wrote:

I'm glad unity worked for you, at leat in the beginning
Thanks for your post. With latest compiz-core-ubuntu updates Unity crashes for me too. I'm on Unity-2d since this morning smile

As I wrote in my previous post, help me install another version of compiz-core-ubuntu from AUR.

But I have one interesting problem, on my main account, Dash in Unity 3D looks like this:
snmekobrazovky201111302.th.png

and on my second account, Dash looks like this (it is in fullscreen):
snmekobrazovky201111302.th.png

I didn't find why on my main account, Dash isn't in fullscreen...I tried delete settings from /home a I tried "# unity --distro" in terminal, which delete unity settings but still Dash isn't in fullscreen... It's detail but it is interesting...

Last edited by Kubino (2011-11-30 20:07:39)

#172 2011-11-30 21:24:22

chenxiaolong

Kubino wrote:

I didn't find why on my main account, Dash isn't in fullscreen...I tried delete settings from /home a I tried "# unity --distro" in terminal, which delete unity settings but still Dash isn't in fullscreen... It's detail but it is interesting...

There's no need to reset or delete any settings when there's a maximize button when the dash is open big_smile

Why it's different between accounts, though, I have no idea. It's strange how the detection would vary between two accounts on the same computer. Compiz detects whether the dash should be maximized based on your screen resolution (not maximized if larger than 800px vertically). You can check what compiz detects your screen resolution as by running this in both accounts:

cat ~/.xsession-errors  | grep -A2 "Screen geometry"

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2011-11-30 21:39:55)

#173 2011-11-30 21:36:53

rleyh

chenxiaolong wrote:
rleyh wrote:

Dropbox is nice, but I'm not sure if I can upload to it automatically. I currently have my 2 build servers set up to pull from git automatically every day, so it would be nice if the uploads could be automated (especially for huge packages where I have to wait for it to upload overnight).

There is the dropbox application which syncs one specified folder with dropbox service (after each file change). There are also some CLI/daemon packages for dropbox in AUR. Isn't this automated enough? wink

Edit: Its not open source though.

Last edited by rleyh (2011-11-30 21:38:17)

#174 2011-12-12 20:59:35

kuglee

Hi chenxiaolong!

I've tried to compile the latest compiz-core-ubuntu package after uncommenting the KDE lines, but it fails to build.

mv: cannot stat `/media/downloads/chenxiaolong-Unity-for-Arch-9254acf/compiz-core-ubuntu/src/temp_install/usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-kde.schemas': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package_compiz-gnome-ubuntu().
    Aborting...

#175 2011-12-12 21:45:57

chenxiaolong

kuglee wrote:

Hi chenxiaolong!

I've tried to compile the latest compiz-core-ubuntu package after uncommenting the KDE lines, but it fails to build.

mv: cannot stat `/media/downloads/chenxiaolong-Unity-for-Arch-9254acf/compiz-core-ubuntu/src/temp_install/usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-kde.schemas': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package_compiz-gnome-ubuntu().
    Aborting...

Hi kuglee!

I just pushed a git commit (https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … 5dcc5f53e0) that should fix the issue. It should work now smile

Also, for anyone who's tired of waiting 10 bazillion hours waiting for compiz/unity/qt/etc to compile, try installing ccache and removing the exclamation point for ccache in /etc/makepkg.conf. It caches the previous compilations, so the next time you compile the same package again, it will be very, very fast big_smile More on it at the Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ccache

Board footer