You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-22 13:06:19

the.ridikulus.rat

[DONE] Please show topic url at the start of notification mail

Hi,
     Can someone please change forum settings to show topic url like

The topic is located at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130747

in reply notification mails at the start of the mail instead of the end? That is before the

The message reads as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

part of the mail instead of after. It is difficult to navigate long posts in mobile gmail just to find and open the url. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2012-01-12 15:28:49)

#2 2011-11-22 13:14:28

toad
Website

Re: [DONE] Please show topic url at the start of notification mail

Good idea!

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2011-11-22 13:23:05

karol
Archivist

You don't have to use the 'Include a plain text version of new posts in subscription notification emails.' option. If it's unchecked, you will get just

anta40 has replied to the topic 'Weird vim behaviour?' to which you are subscribed. There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the board again.

The post is located at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1019896#p1019896

You can unsubscribe by going to https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=unsubscribe&tid=130706

This is not a fix, but you can use it as a workaround.

Does mobile Gmail have a command to scroll to the end of the message?

#4 2011-11-22 13:52:09

the.ridikulus.rat

@karol: I know about that option. Generally the posts are small so thats not an issue. Mobile gmail splits up the mail into many pages and soemtimes 1 single long mail in desktop gmail ends up being about 5-6 pages in mobile gmail and only by going to 5th or 6th page i can see the topic url. Many other forums (generally all) provide topic and unsubscribe urls at the start of the mail instead of the end.

No. I haven't seem any "scroll to end of message" option in mobile gmail (only go to Next message/conversation option).

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2011-11-22 13:58:36)

#5 2011-11-29 21:43:46

karol
Archivist

I don't know if this is something our mods/admins can do or is it hardcoded by fluxbb devs. If it's the latter, you have to ask for this feature upstream.

#6 2011-11-29 21:59:11

ewaller
Administrator

karol wrote:

I don't know if this is something our mods/admins can do or is it hardcoded by fluxbb devs. If it's the latter, you have to ask for this feature upstream.

FYI:  Us normal mods do not have that ability.  I don't think Inxsible (Our leader) does either.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2011-11-29 22:37:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ewaller wrote:
karol wrote:

FYI:  Us normal mods do not have that ability.  I don't think Inxsible (Our leader) does either.

I sure don't. sad

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2011-11-30 04:51:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ewaller wrote:
karol wrote:

I think you forgot a 'glorious and awesome' phrase somewhere there.

To the OP - out of curiosity, why do you use mobile gmail rather than a platform-specific gmail app. I know android's one is terrific, at the least.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2011-11-30 05:33:01

the.ridikulus.rat

ewaller wrote:
karol wrote:

Surely there must be some option/setting somewhere. vBulletin (Fedora and Ubuntu forums) seem to provide links at the start of the mail.

ngoonee wrote:

To the OP - out of curiosity, why do you use mobile gmail rather than a platform-specific gmail app. I know android's one is terrific, at the least.

I have Nokia (Symbian S60v5) 5230 for which the gmail app is terrible. I use gmail from Opera Mobile/Mini browsers (Mobile mostly).

#10 2011-11-30 05:53:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:
ewaller wrote:
karol wrote:

Surely there must be some option/setting somewhere. vBulletin (Fedora and Ubuntu forums) seem to provide links at the start of the mail.

As mentioned, the Arch forums uses fluxbb not vBulletin. I'm unsure whether fluxbb allows for what you're asking, perhaps you would be able to find that out.

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

I have Nokia (Symbian S60v5) 5230 for which the gmail app is terrible. I use gmail from Opera Mobile/Mini browsers (Mobile mostly).

My sympathies. My wife uses a nokia for some browsing, and moving up/down IS a pain.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2011-11-30 13:28:10

lie2815
Website

The admins can easily change the email template. It's in lang/English/mail_templates/. That's supposed to be modifiable (while not very user-friendly, I suppose).

On the other hand, as you have a good point:
You can always create a ticket at fluxbb.org. smile

Doing my best to break your forum.
FluxBB - twitter

#12 2011-11-30 21:57:19

Montague
Banned

Last edited by Montague (2015-07-28 02:37:49)

#13 2011-12-11 20:46:19

the.ridikulus.rat

lie2815 wrote:

The admins can easily change the email template. It's in lang/English/mail_templates/. That's supposed to be modifiable (while not very user-friendly, I suppose).

On the other hand, as you have a good point:
You can always create a ticket at fluxbb.org. smile

Done https://fluxbb.org/development/core/tickets/561/ . Thanks for your help. This change should be made for both the "Reply to <topic>" and "New topic at <sub_forum>" type notification mails.

#14 2011-12-11 22:56:50

lie2815
Website

It will be in the next version, which should be released during this next week (hopefully). smile

FluxBB - twitter

#15 2011-12-22 14:09:46

lie2815
Website

Well, looks like we didn't quite make it. There is a rather bad bug stopping us from releasing the new version. Any day now...

FluxBB - twitter

#16 2012-01-05 19:04:23

karol
Archivist

Seems it's fixed in version 1.4.8 that has just been announced http://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6031 :-)

#17 2012-01-12 15:29:40

the.ridikulus.rat

Thanks to all involved in this. I am now getting notification mails with the topic url at the top.

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2012-01-12 15:30:01)

Board footer