You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-06 16:50:37

karol
Archivist

[solved] What is the scope of 'Installation' subforum?

Is it just for issues with installing Arch or issues with installing packages too? I think it should be only for the former.
If I am right, current description: 'Issues related to Arch Linux installation.' is clear enough (if you speak English well enough), but maybe we should make the scope mare precise by adding it's NOT for issues with installing packages and other subforums should be used for that.

I've asked the mods (via the 'Report' link) about this issue, but I don't recall anyone responding. Should I simply report such misplaced threads?

Last edited by karol (2011-12-08 22:12:39)

#2 2011-11-06 17:23:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [solved] What is the scope of 'Installation' subforum?

The former: just for issues while trying to get Arch installed. There is a sub-forum (Pacman Upgrades, Packaging and AUR) for the latter...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-11-06 17:26:45

karol
Archivist

jasonwryan wrote:

The former: just for issues while trying to get Arch installed. There is a sub-forum (Pacman Upgrades, Packaging and AUR) for the latter...

That's exactly what I though, but the 'Installation' subforum is notoriously misused. Do you want to keep the subforum description as is and simply move the misplaced threads e.g. this one?

#4 2011-11-06 17:35:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That's a question for the (current) mods. smile

--

If pressed, I would say that too many people either don't read or actively disregard the Forum Etiquette, stickied threads and the other guidance material that has been provided by the community to help make the boards run smoothly and keep the knowledge-base orderly and relevant. Making changes to the structure of the boards satisfies taxonomical purists (like me), but rarely results in any significant behavioural change.

So, no, I don't really see any point.

Unless their is some significant issue with the thread, I wouldn't bother reporting it myself - it just makes more work for the mods and the bottom line is that people are getting help --even if they can't be fsckd reading the guidelines before posting...

</2c>

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2011-11-06 17:55:55

karol
Archivist

Sometimes I need to dig through the forums instead of searching / googling because I don't remember enough details to find what I need by searching, but I hope I will be able to recognize the thread I'm after when I see it. If the issue is not related to installation, why would I check this subforum? Turns out I have to browse it anyway.

I agree that moving threads around means more work for the mods and I'm fine with 'do not report this' policy, just wanted to get some response on this issue.

#6 2011-12-08 22:12:16

karol
Archivist

I got no response in this thread but it seems the mods are willing to move topics that don't really belong where they were put, so I'm going to report what I think are misplaced threads.

#7 2011-12-09 02:12:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

I got no response in this thread but it seems the mods are willing to move topics that don't really belong where they were put, so I'm going to report what I think are misplaced threads.

That would be helpful, yes.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2011-12-09 23:12:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I could change the name of the forum from "Installation" to "Arch Installation" or "Arch Linux Installation", just to make it extremely clear.

Whether it would do any good or not, I don't know....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer