You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-15 00:51:57

masterkoppa

Dual Boot Network Issue

Hi there,

I just built a new computer and I've been having the following problem. It's the first time that I actually dual boot systems on a desktop and I keep encountering the following problem. When I boot into windows(XP,7 or 8 tried them all) the network card simply stops working. When I mean it stops working I mean that it just sits there. I can get a valid IP and get all the network information, but when I try to ping anything, including the router it simply doesn't work. The only time it actually works is the first time I install windows. I can reboot and it still works as long as I don't start linux it will work.

Since I only use windows for gaming re-installing windows has been the option I've taken, but its kind of time consuming. The only solution so far is adding a network card that I had from my previous build and adding it. The first time I booted into windows it worked just fine. On reboot, still using this secondary card windows will no longer work with it. Same thing, gets IP and dns info but no connection anywhere. I switch the cable to the other port (not used in linux before the reboot) and it works.

Here are the two network cards in play:
Built in one:

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

PCI Card:

Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller

Since switching the cable instead of reinstalling windows everytime is a better option I've been doing that lately but what could be going on. Any additional information I can provide?

Thanks for your time.

I know my way around linux and windows so ask me anything and Ill get back to you ASAP.

Board footer