You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-13 15:16:26

phunni

SSH timeout/disconnect problem

I've been trying to use a ssh based remote control for mplayer from my android phone for a while, but it keeps losing the connection to my laptop after a period of inactivity (usually 5 - 10 minutes). I have tried tweaking all the common timeout settings in sshd_config (TCPKeepAlive, ClientAliveInterval & ClientAliveCountMax) with no success.

netstat initially shows the established connection, but also confirms that it isn't lasting.

I can't tweak the ssh client settings in the app, although, at the authors suggestion, I did try adding a setting that would send a command every 30 seconds or so.  This did seem to improve things but after half an hour, I encountered the same problem - almost regardless of activity.

Are there any other settings I could take a look at to try and figure out what is going on and what, if anything, I can do to fix it?

#2 2011-12-19 15:42:54

maddog39
Website

Re: SSH timeout/disconnect problem

I would guess, given that this is a cell phone and assuming a cellphone internet connection as well, that you should look at your network or your phone for answers. It's quite possible that the client is dropping the connection either inadvertently or on purpose. It's also possible that Android/the underlying API is dropping the connection after a certain amount of time to conserve resources (be it network or otherwise). It's possible that the connection is being dropped by the carrier or at the cell tower itself. Given the time frame, thats what I would guess. There are many variables here so its hard to say for sure. Maybe the client has a verbose option similar to ssh -v or something which could provide more information?

Board footer