You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-22 01:09:58

sullivanva

New to Arch

I'm new to Arch though not new to Linux.  I recently converted my Suse 9.3 workstation to Arch, and really enjoyed the process.  There seem to be some key packages missing, or not being supported to the same level.

This shouldn't be viewed as a complaint, but more as a surprise.  It didn't take any time to install antivir, and as soon as I figure out how your pacman things works I'll start contributing.

Also surprised that you don't have tripwire in your main repository.  I tried the AUR and found it, but the dang thing doesn't work.  I went to look at the source code and it's ridiculous.  It's almost as if they don't want you to use it.  Aide is OK, but I like the idea of encrypting my database and key files.

So, as a new user to Arch, I would suggest beefing up your security packages.  Security is a selling point for a lot of people.

One other suggestion would be to consolidate the AUR.  If this comment has already been made, then please ignore.  When certain members sites aren't available, then it just times out.

--HAPS

#2 2005-07-22 02:17:41

iBertus

Re: New to Arch

Welcome aboard.

#3 2005-07-22 02:19:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Man... everyone always makes their first post "here's what you should change" - hell mine was something about pacman...

packages under arch are generally based on demand... if these packages out there, it's kinda obvious no one needs/uses them..

as for security:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=13985

I have no idea what you mean about consolidating the AUR - "When certain members sites aren't available, then it just times out." ...ummm...what?

#4 2005-07-22 02:23:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sullivanva wrote:

Also surprised that you don't have tripwire in your main repository.  I tried the AUR and found it, but the dang thing doesn't work.

I made the tripwire package, and it is indeed an ugly build process.
I tried to do bastille, but dont even get me started on that..
*throws up hands*

Anyway, if you want to try fixing the pkgbuild, I would be very happy to incorporate any changes into the aur build. If it gets good, I can move it into [community].

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-07-22 12:32:29

sullivanva

It's not that I can't figure out how to find these repositories.  I added cactus to my list, and I can find the others.  It just seems that it would simplify things if you consolidated all these farms out there into one place. 

":: aur is up to date"

Arch is poised to make a real difference.  Don't let this opportunity slip through the cracks.  People are watching.  Any misstep and people will be fleeing for the outer banks of BSD again.  Do you really want that?

Gots to look professional.  Security is the future.  And plastic.  We can't let a little infighting amongst this group ruin the world domination thing.

But, no!  Mr. phrakture said something unkind to Mr. skeeterbug's wife, and now Mr. skeeterbug is not sure he wants to be part of Arch anymore.   He's considering going back to Debian.  Ick.  And forget about Mr.
klapmuetz.  Mr. snowman called his builds 'perfunctory'.  Perfunctory?  All snowman does is configure;make;make test;make install.  That and play his 'Nicolo Gagliano', which he probably stole.

Can't we all get along?

root@froggie:/etc> cp pacman.conf.orig pacman.conf
root@froggie:/etc> pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
:: current is up to date
:: extra is up to date
:: community is up to date
connect: Connection timed out
error: cannot connect to phrakture.homelinux.net
failed to synchronize phrakture
connect: Connection refused
error: cannot connect to singleton.homeunix.org
failed to synchronize skeeterbug
dibble                   [################] 100%       4K     3.6K/s  00:00:01
cjdj                     [################] 100%       1K     1.7K/s  00:00:01
error: anonymous login failed
failed to synchronize auxesis

failed downloading /binaries/klapmuetz.db.tar.gz from arch.klapmuetz.org: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

failed downloading /~belanger/archlinux/snowman.db.tar.gz from www.astro.umontreal.ca: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

failed to synchronize snowman
error: could not cwd to /pub/archlinux/miasma/os/i686/: 550 Failed to change directory.

failed to synchronize miasma
redirection not supported

failed downloading /pacman/effigies.db.tar.gz from effigies.freelinuxhost.com: HTTP/1.1 302 Found

failed to synchronize effigies
hostile                  [################] 100%       5K     8.4K/s  00:00:00
vegai                    [################] 100%       1K     1.6K/s  00:00:00
redirection not supported

failed downloading /archlinux/packages/i686/celti/celti.db.tar.gz from celti.afraid.org: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

failed to synchronize celti
archlinux-nl             [################] 100%       8K     6.1K/s  00:00:01
dma147                   [################] 100%       2K     0.8K/s  00:00:02
Victor                   [################] 100%       2K     0.0K/s  00:00:18
marfis                   [################] 100%       0K     1.0K/s  00:00:00
berkus                   [################] 100%       2K     1.4K/s  00:00:01
venox                    [################] 100%       0K     0.6K/s  00:00:01
fubar                    [################] 100%       5K     2.6K/s  00:00:01
error: could not open sync database: phrakture
       have you used --refresh yet?

--HAPS

#6 2005-07-22 14:11:11

Dalius

For me it's ":: community is up to date". Jus add

[community]
Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/community/os/i686

And you're in (I think that's what you wanted).  big_smile

My hacker key:
v2sw5+9C/Yhw5ln5pr6Ock6ma4u7+9L/Fw2Xm5l7+9Oi2Ce2+7t3Bb6Oen7g5RPaIs4MSr1+9p9
Registered Linux user #361532

#7 2005-07-22 15:42:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah. the [community] is 'in' like the ipod. Personal repos are the new black, and we're all wearing white after labor day!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-07-22 18:32:36

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

sullivanva wrote:

Mr. snowman called his builds 'perfunctory'.  Perfunctory?  All snowman does is configure;make;make test;make install.  That and play his 'Nicolo Gagliano', which he probably stole.

lol

sullivanva wrote:

failed downloading /~belanger/archlinux/snowman.db.tar.gz from www.astro.umontreal.ca: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

failed to synchronize snowman

You can remove [snowman] from your pacman.conf.  I don't maintain a binary repo anymore. I just maintain PKGBUILDs in the AUR (see signature for an not up-to-date list). BTW, Welcome to Arch!

#9 2005-07-22 22:54:33

tomk
Forum Fellow

Welcome to Arch sullivanva - and thanks for making me laugh. If we had a Post of the Week/Month/Whatever here, you would definitely qualify - two posts, and already you've got a whole Arch-soap-opera thing going on. I love it.... lol

Oh yeah, this as well - "People are watching" - nice touch.

Read up on the AUR and Community repo here - I promise you won't be disappointed.

#10 2005-07-22 23:02:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

sullivanva wrote:

It's not that I can't figure out how to find these repositories.  I added cactus to my list, and I can find the others.  It just seems that it would simplify things if you consolidated all these farms out there into one place. 

you missed the boat here - things *are* consolidated - the personal repos and TURs are out, the [community] repo is in.  Just uncomment it from pacman.conf and remove all the personal repos you added.

#11 2005-07-23 19:00:18

sullivanva

Sorry to be posting this here.  It really should be in Pacman.  Maybe we're talking about different things.  The community does not have tripwire.  Mr. cactus does.  In order to get his stuff I add him into pacman.conf  (see below).  Why not have cactus stuff and all other unpopular, not voted upon enough, not reviewed enough stuff consolidated, instead of adding in the individual farms.  You could have a big warning when using the pacman.  "Warning, these packages are untested.  Install at your own risk."

root@boogie:/etc> tail -3 pacman.conf

[community]
Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/community/os/i686
root@boogie:/etc> pacman -Syu
community                [################] 100%      19K    29.2K/s  00:00:00
root@boogie:/etc> pacman -S tripwire
tripwire: not found in sync db

root@boogie:/etc> echo "[cactus]
Server = http://cactuswax.net/~eliott/ArchLinux/repo/binary/" >> pacman.conf
root@boogie:/etc> pacman -Syu
:: community is up to date
cactus                   [################] 100%       2K     2.4K/s  00:00:00
root@boogie:/etc> pacman -S tripwire

Targets: tripwire-2.3.1-1

Total Package Size:   1.6 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] n
root@boogie:/etc>

--HAPS

#12 2005-07-23 19:52:48

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

The thing is that these "unpopular" packages  are in fact consolidated in the AUR.  However, you need to download the PKGBUILD and build them yourself.  If they get more votes, they will be added to community/extra repo. There was some talk about providing more binary packages.  The AUR is still young.

The personal repos are, in my opinion, a thing of the past.  The AUR was created to replace them. Instead of having all these repos (with maybe the same packages) in pacman.conf, now you only need to search the AUR to find the PKGBUILDs.

A lot of people who had personnal repo, like cactus, are now TU so they will put/maintain  their binary packages in the community repo.  Probably a lot of regular users, like myself, stopped maintaining binary repos and now maintain the PKGBUILDs on the AUR.  That's why you have all these file not found errors.

#13 2005-07-23 20:04:28

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

you can also use dusty's aurbuild in the "scripts" section of the wiki to retreive and make a package in aur.

Board footer