You are not logged in.

#301 2011-12-06 23:16:24

TheShadowFog
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:

The font in most of my shots is Envy Code R, there is a package for it in AUR.

Thank you so much! ^_^

#302 2011-12-07 10:26:25

unexist
Website

TheShadowFog wrote:

Thank you so much! ^_^

Heh, you are welcome.

#303 2011-12-26 22:46:11

tommyturbine

Hiya,

I've been using subtle for a few weeks and love it - it works for me.

Only problem I've come across is quite a biggie though, and the only reference to it I can find online is this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118556

Basically, whatever terminal program I use (by choice urxvt) Ctrl-C doesn't pass a SIGINT to any programs. This is definitely an issue with subtle - other window managers work fine using the same .Xmodmap. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I tried upgrading to subtle-hg today hoping it might fix the problem, but no luck.

thanks

#304 2011-12-27 00:05:10

unexist
Website

tommyturbine wrote:

Hiya,

I've been using subtle for a few weeks and love it - it works for me.

Only problem I've come across is quite a biggie though, and the only reference to it I can find online is this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118556

Basically, whatever terminal program I use (by choice urxvt) Ctrl-C doesn't pass a SIGINT to any programs. This is definitely an issue with subtle - other window managers work fine using the same .Xmodmap. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I tried upgrading to subtle-hg today hoping it might fix the problem, but no luck.

thanks

Hi,

I wasn't aware of that thread and replied to it now. As you can read there, some users reported that problem back to me, but so far I wasn't sure able to reproduce it. I just happens with bash, but so I am really puzzled. I tried to debug that remotely with the reporter but with no luck.

#305 2011-12-27 09:43:15

tommyturbine

Is there anything you'd like me to try or any output you'd like me to post? I'd be keen to help you fix this, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

#306 2011-12-27 15:11:44

irrlicht

Hi, how do you manage the automounting any removable devices while using subtle. I'm currently trying that WM. And i'm planing not to use any file manager, just mc. But i don't really want to mount my usb devices manually. Is there any solution for that?

Almost forgot: how do you manage to set the volume in subtle? The workaround with loading the OSS module doesn't work for me and my alsa setup. thanks!

Last edited by irrlicht (2011-12-27 15:18:38)

Everything less than immortality is a complete waste of time!

#307 2011-12-27 18:09:06

Ogion

Generally, when you use a Windowmanager instead of a Desktop environment, you'll use various programs that are not connected to the wm.
For example you'll look for other ways, like this maybe. (I don't use automounting, so can't give you specific tips).
I'm sure there are some graphical alsa soundmixer that sit in the systray, just use one of those (subtle has built-in systray). There are also subtlets for volume, but i don't use those since i use ossxmix (obviously i use oss for my sound).

Just look for alternatives, there's tons of things for most uses.

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#308 2011-12-27 18:36:31

ewloni

I use bashmount and I'm very happy with it.

#309 2011-12-27 18:46:40

anonymous_user

@irrlicht - For automounting, the link given by Ogion provides some option. I personally use devmon and like it very much. For managing sound volume, you can try setting keybinds for alsamixer in Subtle, or use a program like volumeicon which sits in the tray.

#310 2011-12-27 18:55:01

irrlicht

Thank you guys. I'll try those advises for mounting devices.

anonymous_user wrote:

@irrlicht  For managing sound volume, you can try setting keybinds for alsamixer in Subtle.

Can you give me an advise how to this exactly in subtle, so i can use the [fn] keys for it. Thanks.

#311 2011-12-27 19:15:41

Ogion

# Adjust volume setting
grab "W-comma", "ossvol -d 2.5"
grab "W-period", "ossvol -i 2.5"

This is what i have for volume control. Obviously you'll have to change the ossvol command to an alsamixer command, and change the keys as you like. (I suppose the F keys are simply F1-12, but i never sued them in a grab because my  F-keys of my netbook don't work right, phsically)

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

#312 2011-12-27 20:58:36

irrlicht

Thank you Ogion! Now it works.

For those who may search for the same solution:
This works for me, since my FN keys works.

grab "XF86AudioRaiseVolume", "amixer -c 1 -q set PCM 3%+"
grab "XF86AudioLoverVolume", "amixer -c 1 -q set PCM 3%-"

The "-c" option tells which sound card(counts from 0) setting should be altered.

Hm. i run into the next issue. If i install any sublet like this: sur install <sublet>, after sublets are not being added onto the bar under any circumstances even if i add it to
top [] array. But also there are no errors.

Last edited by irrlicht (2011-12-27 23:34:20)

#313 2011-12-28 00:16:27

Ogion

screen 1 do
  top    [ :views, :title, :spacer, :keychain, :spacer, :tray, :sublets ]
  bottom [ ]
end

This is what i have there, the :sublet should be a catch-all that just takes every sublet that's installed. You have reloaded after installing sublets, right? (subtler -r)

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)

#314 2011-12-29 20:03:01

irrlicht

My screen 1 array looks exactly like yours, and yes invoked subtler -r - no effect.

#315 2011-12-29 21:44:11

Ogion

Then i suspect it's something to do with the actual subtlet. Tell us (and maybe ask in #subtle on freenoce, if you're comfortable with irc) which one you had the problem with.

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)

#316 2012-01-01 17:48:34

unexist
Website

tommyturbine wrote:

Is there anything you'd like me to try or any output you'd like me to post? I'd be keen to help you fix this, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Sorry for the late reply, was a bit busy between xmas and New Year's Eve. I really have no idea how to debug that and it is really bogus because it just happens with bash. Can you tell me a list of steps how to reproduce it? Including all the things that are running in Xorg?

#317 2012-01-01 17:50:43

unexist
Website

irrlicht wrote:

My screen 1 array looks exactly like yours, and yes invoked subtler -r - no effect.

Is your issue fixed already? Did you check the tty subtle is running on? It usually posts errors there and what are the name of the sublets you want to install but refuse to appear in the panel?

#318 2012-01-01 20:18:31

irrlicht

unexist wrote:
irrlicht wrote:

Is your issue fixed already? Did you check the tty subtle is running on? It usually posts errors there and what are the name of the sublets you want to install but refuse to appear in the panel?

no, it's not fixed yed. the are no errors at all.I cant add any of available sublets, however i can install any of them, but they are just not on pannel. sur is reporting that local chache contains 6 entries, but only 5 standard subtles are being on the bar. is it possible that i just missing some gems?

Last edited by irrlicht (2012-01-01 20:22:02)

#319 2012-01-01 20:23:02

unexist
Website

irrlicht wrote:

no, it's not fixed yed. the are no errors at all.I cant add any of available sublets, however i can install any of them, but they are just not a pannel. sur is reporting that local chache contains 6 entries, but only 5 standard subtles are being on the bar. is it possible that i just missing some gems?

Quite possible but I can just guess without the names of the sublets. When you install all arbi_ sublets all won't work without arbi. So can you post the output of subtler -sl?

Last edited by unexist (2012-01-01 20:51:42)

#320 2012-01-01 20:50:10

irrlicht

i'd like to add the "volume" subtle. that is installed with sur install volume. sur list reporting it as istalled.
subtler -s give's me just a help output.

#321 2012-01-01 20:53:44

unexist
Website

irrlicht wrote:

i'd like to add the "volume" subtle. that is installed with sur install volume. sur list reporting it as istalled.
subtler -s give's me just a help output.

Sorry, it is subtler -sl. When you load that sublet there is an error for sure, check the faq: http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=27

#322 2012-01-01 21:19:35

irrlicht

ok, solved. typo in rc.conf at loading an oss kernel module. ty!

#323 2012-01-01 21:25:55

unexist
Website

irrlicht wrote:

ok, solved. typo in rc.conf at loading an oss kernel module. ty!

So you just had problems with one sublet? Yw then.

#324 2012-01-01 21:35:51

irrlicht

hm, i was trying to use only the volume sublet. after i failed to spell it's name correctly to loading the kernel module, i tryed to install moc_info and some arbi* modules, that didn't worked also, so my guess was were is somthing wrong wich subtle(now i think it was just dependencie issue) i removed all those sublets and was trying to resolv the issue with volume sublet.

#325 2012-01-14 01:05:07

melw

Have been messing around with a few tiling Wm's lately, but i'm allways coming back to subtle. So keep up the good work.

But i got a question about the behavior of the borders defined by active and inactive. For me it seems like instead of showing the inactive border, the space where the border is suppossed to be is getting transperent. And here's the strange part. It's not in all views this happens. It seems like it's when i'm using terminals (urxvt).

When looking at screenshots it seems like some got the same problem, but it can be tricky to know what their config says when it's not availble. For me i got no margin or padding that should mess things up.

Any solutions or do i just have to live with it?

I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enought....

Board footer