You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-28 13:13:15

neok
Website

Can't connect to open Wifi hotspot

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a wifi hotspot of a local ISP, but I just failed with all tries.
The hotspot is unprotected and service is provided by first connecting to the hotspot
(with no WEP/WPA key needed) and then logging in with a web browser with a paid
for user name and login.

I tried various configurations in netcfg's profile but I always end up with the error
message: WPA Authentication/Association Failed. This even after killing
wpa_supplicant since its not needed. This is the relevant profile:

CONNECTION='wireless'
DESCRIPTION='CityCell'
INTERFACE='wlan0'
SCAN='yes'
SECURITY='none'
ESSID='((((( CityCell   WiFi )))))'
KEY='off'
IP='dhcp'
POST_UP="iwconfig wlan0 rate 2M fixed"

The hotspot is detected by the scan and signal level is fairly good (better than -60 dbm
with an RTL8187 chip wifi card. It also seems that I generally can't connect to
unprotected wifi points, there are others in the neighborhood but I always fail the
same way.

I would be very greatful for any tips on this.

My thanks in advance.

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2011-12-28 16:32:18

Strike0

Re: Can't connect to open Wifi hotspot

If you try the manual steps to connect,as listed in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nual_setup), at which step does it fail with that error? Three? Please quote the exact error.

You might also want to try out the wifi-select package as addon for netcfg.

#3 2011-12-28 17:48:43

neok
Website

Strike0 wrote:

If you try the manual steps to connect,as listed in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nual_setup), at which step does it fail with that error? Three? Please quote the exact error.

You might also want to try out the wifi-select package as addon for netcfg.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip - it helped much: After several tries, I managed to connect temporarily
with the manual method, and even managed to login, but then something went wrong
and could not continue with the account activation process.

Anyhow, there seems to be a signal strength problem also. I had to use a long yagi array
to get enough signal but I had to hold it up with my hand.... Its night time now, tomorrow
I will make some sort of a stand for it and try again. wifi-select also does a nice job of
finding and configuring networks, I will try it tomorrow to see if it will produce a working
profile for netcfg.

Thanks again.

Regards

#4 2011-12-28 19:15:53

Strike0

neok wrote:

Thanks for the tip - it helped much: After several tries, I managed to connect temporarily
with the manual method, and even managed to login, but then something went wrong
and could not continue with the account activation process.

Good that you got further. Signal strength is necessary of course.
But if you managed to get an IP from the wifi router with the manual method and "iwconfig" then shows it is associated, it should be easy to continue. As I know those authentication, you start up a browser with any page and the router proxy should re-direct to the login window to sign on with the credentials. Then it should be set. Good luck and signal for your next try.

#5 2011-12-29 09:32:14

neok
Website

Strike0 wrote:

Good that you got further. Signal strength is necessary of course.
But if you managed to get an IP from the wifi router with the manual method and "iwconfig" then shows it is associated, it should be easy to continue. As I know those authentication, you start up a browser with any page and the router proxy should re-direct to the login window to sign on with the credentials. Then it should be set. Good luck and signal for your next try.

Well, I used a wooden pole in a small bucket with stones to hold up the yagi....

I managed to login and tested the connection, all works well, I get about 1.5Mb,
but bit torrent seems to be blocked, the client can't find any seeders and will
not download or upload anything :-( And this was the main reason for wanting
to connect to a provider: I use my neighbor's connection at the moment, he
gave me the WAP key and allows me to use his wifi router for free and I don't
want to abuse this good gesture...

Regards

#6 2011-12-29 10:20:37

Strike0

Right, now that sounds innovative indeed for the antenna and temporarily sufficient if you don't get a storm :-)

Board footer