You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-30 17:52:06

dencker90

CUPS, HP PSC 2355 and "Unable to get list of printer drivers: Unknown"

Hey fellow Archers!

The Introduction

The other day, I installed ArchLinux for the ARM processor on my GoFlex Home. Straight away I installed samba, got it set up and everything works like a charm with explosive transfer-rates compared to the old factory-firmware. Also put on a mysql server to centralize my xbmc database and pyload to download large files without having to have my laptop opened all the time. Have to admit, this Arch Linux is a glorious world!

The Setup

Well, after this positive input, now comes my problem. I wanted to share our printer on our LAN, so I did a little search to quickly find CUPS. Installed it together with all the dependencies, like foomatic, python (which was installed as pyload uses it) and all that stuff.

Changed the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to listen on 0.0.0.0 and started the daemon.. Woohoo! Turned on the printer, opened the web interface, went to administration -> add printer and selected one of the printers available from this list:

Local printers
CUPS-PDF (Virtual PDF Printer)
HP PSC 2350 series USB MY5BNF4423KJ HPLIP (HP PSC 2350 series)
Seriel port #1
HP PSC 2350 series (HP PSC 2350 series)
HP Fax (HPLIP)

Before I proceed, I want to say that I have tried the following with both of the PSC-entries.

The Problem

Now, i selected the printer and just let the default values be, pressed continue and got this error message:

"Unable to get list of printer drivers: Unknown"

Well, googled it a bit and tried to blacklist lsusb, as well as chmod /dev/bus/usb/001/002 to 665 (even 777). Still the same error message. sad Also tried to install the printer with hp-setup -i which let me pick a ppd myself; didn't work either. Gave me an error message saying that it was unable to add the printer to cups. I have run out of options, and the almighty sir Google wont give me any solutions other than those which I have tried.

I even get this error message when I try to add cups-pdf (which I also installed oc).

Kind regards,
Rasmus Dencker

Last edited by dencker90 (2011-12-30 17:53:10)

Board footer