You are not logged in.

#101 2011-11-25 16:29:55

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

sablabra wrote:

Is there a tabbed layout available? It would be really nice to be able to have windows tabbed in one frame. Is this something you plan to implement?

Currently, there is the max layout. The only difference is: the max layout has no tab bar wink The tab bar is planned, but it will take some time.

Offline

#102 2011-11-25 17:57:52

sablabra
Member
Registered: 2008-07-21
Posts: 32

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:

Currently, there is the max layout. The only difference is: the max layout has no tab bar wink The tab bar is planned, but it will take some time.

I didn't see the cycle keybinding until now actually... I guess you need a way to get window title before implementing a tab bar.

Offline

#103 2011-11-25 18:01:14

guelfi
Member
From: /home/guelfi
Registered: 2011-07-01
Posts: 111

Re: herbstluftwm

sablabra wrote:

Is there a tabbed layout available? It would be really nice to be able to have windows tabbed in one frame. Is this something you plan to implement?

For applications that support the Xembed protocol (most terminals do),
you can use tabbed. It is configured via editingthe header file (like most suckless software).

I think there also is a package in community which is configured to run multiple
instances of surf.

EDIT:

sablabra wrote:

I guess you need a way to get window title before implementing a tab bar.

/me would also like a way to get the focused window's title in some of the
next releases. I tried it with xdotool, but it said

$ xdotool getactivewindow
Your windowmanager claims not to support _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, so the attempt to
query the active window aborted.
xdo_get_active_window reported an error

Last edited by guelfi (2011-11-25 18:06:48)

Offline

#104 2011-11-25 19:02:07

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

guelfi wrote:
sablabra wrote:

I guess you need a way to get window title before implementing a tab bar.

/me would also like a way to get the focused window's title in some of the
next releases. I tried it with xdotool, but it said

$ xdotool getactivewindow
Your windowmanager claims not to support _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, so the attempt to
query the active window aborted.
xdo_get_active_window reported an error

Yes. EWMH-Support is the feature with the highest priority. It will be implemented soon

Offline

#105 2011-11-29 01:57:57

ninjaaron
Member
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 285

Re: herbstluftwm

Do you have a timeframe for EWMH support?  I don't have a pressing need or anything, but integration with existing standards is always exciting (especially in the *nix world, where standards seem to be few and far between, or broken beyond usefulness).

Offline

#106 2011-11-29 09:02:33

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

ninjaaron wrote:

Do you have a timeframe for EWMH support?  I don't have a pressing need or anything, but integration with existing standards is always exciting (especially in the *nix world, where standards seem to be few and far between, or broken beyond usefulness).

I wish I had. I will implement it, when I have some more free time, maybe next weekend, maybe in one month.

Offline

#107 2011-12-02 17:39:12

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:

Do you have a timeframe for EWMH support?

I wish I had. I will implement it, when I have some more free time, maybe next weekend, maybe in one month.

You probably already know that but, just in case, I wanted to mention the fact that EWMH 'fullscreen' and 'active window' are implemented in dwm in the clientmessage function.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#108 2011-12-04 03:10:04

ninjaaron
Member
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 285

Re: herbstluftwm

Alright, is there a way to get xsetroot to set a different wallpaper on different tags using the `--idle` flag?

I have a feeling that the answer is "yes," but I'm unsure exactly how to do this myself... hmm...  I'll look at panel.sh again, but there is a lot in there that I don't understand.  My bash is meh.

Last edited by ninjaaron (2011-12-04 03:12:57)

Offline

#109 2011-12-04 11:37:17

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

ninjaaron wrote:

Alright, is there a way to get xsetroot to set a different wallpaper on different tags using the `--idle` flag?

I have a feeling that the answer is "yes," but I'm unsure exactly how to do this myself... hmm...  I'll look at panel.sh again, but there is a lot in there that I don't understand.  My bash is meh.

Yes. If you just want to change the color with xsetroot. This would be a template to do something tag-depended:

#!/bin/bash

# sets a tag defined wallpaper when tag changes
declare -A WALLPAPER

WALLPAPER=(
    # first wallpaper will be the fallback wallpaper
    [0]=myfallback
    [myfirsttag]=bar.png
    [anothertag]=foo.jpeg
    [myirctag]=coolhaxx0rwallpaper.jpg
)

herbstclient --idle tag_changed \
    | while read line ; do
        ARGS=( $line )
        TAG=${ARGS[1]}
        if ! [ -z "${WALLPAPER[$TAG]}" ] ; then
            # there is a wallpaper for this tag
            CUR=${WALLPAPER[$TAG]}
        else
            # there is no wallpaper for this tag -> fall back
            CUR=${WALLPAPER[0]}
        fi
        echo "setting wallpaper to $CUR"
    done

It waits for hooks that are equal to "tag_changed", so the wallpaper only is rest if the tag changed (and not if a window gets urgent e.g.). You can use the WALLPAPER-array to store paths to wallpapers (or colors) and then set the wallpaper with your favourite wallpaper-command.

EDIT: This a daemon, you just have to start it manually (or via your autostart). But be aware of reloads: if you start it another time, there will be two instances and this could cause strange behaviour. (e.g. if you change the WALLPAPER-array and start the daemon another time..)

Last edited by thorsten (2011-12-04 11:39:54)

Offline

#110 2011-12-05 05:58:55

ninjaaron
Member
Registered: 2010-12-10
Posts: 285

Re: herbstluftwm

Awesome!  I'll be sure to put it in my ~/.xinitrc to minimize the potentiality multiple instances. [edit: just realized this won't work, being that herbstluftwm won't be running when the commands in .xinitrc are executed.  meh.  I'll figure something else out... maybe echo some trigger variable to /tmp with .xinitrc, and then have autostart check it and reset it].

Just to be sure, the words in brackets inside of the WALLPAPER array should be the names of my tags, which, in the case of the default autostart file, are {1..9}, correct?

My idea is to kinda have wallpapers and layouts fit together in a way that will suit the applications and their content to create a "seamless" effect.  I'll post a couple of shots in here if I ever have any success (I imagine it will take while to create the backgrounds I need for this).

But thanks a lot!

Last edited by ninjaaron (2011-12-05 16:33:37)

Offline

#111 2011-12-06 11:46:37

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

ninjaaron wrote:

Awesome!  I'll be sure to put it in my ~/.xinitrc to minimize the potentiality multiple instances. [edit: just realized this won't work, being that herbstluftwm won't be running when the commands in .xinitrc are executed.  meh.  I'll figure something else out... maybe echo some trigger variable to /tmp with .xinitrc, and then have autostart check it and reset it].

An option is to quit the daemon on a special hook like autostart_reload and to do emit_hook autostart_reload manually in the first lines of the autostart file. There will be a example soon. There is no need for temporary files.

ninjaaron wrote:

Just to be sure, the words in brackets inside of the WALLPAPER array should be the names of my tags, which, in the case of the default autostart file, are {1..9}, correct?

yes, it is correct.

Last edited by thorsten (2011-12-06 11:46:55)

Offline

#112 2011-12-08 00:04:10

sablabra
Member
Registered: 2008-07-21
Posts: 32

Re: herbstluftwm

Is it possible to have semi transparent background for active/selected frames?

Offline

#113 2011-12-08 14:40:01

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

sablabra wrote:

Is it possible to have semi transparent background for active/selected frames?

No, it isn't. Maybe it is in the very far future. But maybe there already is a hack with devilspie. I already changed them to semi transparent background with transset-df manually:
http://wwwcip.cs.fau.de/~re06huxa/semit … rame-1.png

Offline

#114 2011-12-10 09:31:11

sablabra
Member
Registered: 2008-07-21
Posts: 32

Re: herbstluftwm

On a slightly off topic subject, what do you use for your cpu and memory meter in your bar at the bottom?

Offline

#115 2011-12-10 11:19:49

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

sablabra wrote:

On a slightly off topic subject, what do you use for your cpu and memory meter in your bar at the bottom?

It is conky with this conkyrc

Offline

#116 2011-12-11 11:34:25

jakobcreutzfeldt
Member
Registered: 2011-05-12
Posts: 1,033

Re: herbstluftwm

First of all, allow me to just say that I've really been loving Herbstluftwm (though that probably ranks as one of the most difficult words to type on a Dvorak layout!). It's my first real introduction into tiling and I've been having a lot of fun configuring it to work the way I want.

edit: nevermind, it seems that herbstluftwm wasn't the source of my memory problems!

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2011-12-11 13:43:11)

Offline

#117 2011-12-14 10:36:33

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

I got a suggestion: It'd be cool to be able to connect two rule-properties with "and" or something similar, so the rule would only apply to windows, matching both properties.

Offline

#118 2011-12-14 14:42:52

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

Doomcide wrote:

I got a suggestion: It'd be cool to be able to connect two rule-properties with "and" or something similar, so the rule would only apply to windows, matching both properties.

This is the current behaviour. if you specify two conditions, the rule only is applied if the first and the second condition matches.

Offline

#119 2011-12-14 15:54:48

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

Aww damn it wink There must have been a typo somewhere when I tested it. Thanks anyway.

Offline

#120 2012-01-04 07:34:42

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

Don't know if someone can help, but I cannot use root-tail with herbstlufwm. I've set the transparent frame:

herbstclient set frame_bg_transparent '1'

So wallpaper appear. But when I launch

root-tail -g 800x250+100+50 /var/log/errors.log

There's nothing on the root window.
I try to find the root window id:

xwininfo -root -children

It's partial working with some of the herbs frame id :

0xc0000c (has no name): ("_HERBST_FRAME" "_HERBST_FRAME")  1280x800+0+0  +0+0
0xc00007 (has no name): ("_HERBST_FRAME" "_HERBST_FRAME")  1280x800+0+0  +0+0
0xc00008 (has no name): ("_HERBST_FRAME" "_HERBST_FRAME")  1280x800+0+0  +0+0
0xc00009 (has no name): ("_HERBST_FRAME" "_HERBST_FRAME")  1280x800+0+0  +0+0
root-tail -id 0xc00007 -g 800x250+100+50 /var/log/errors.log

Do you know how can I get the frame id of the current tag ?
Or does it have an option to use root window ?

Many thanks !

Offline

#121 2012-01-04 11:29:58

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

mentat wrote:

Don't know if someone can help, but I cannot use root-tail with herbstlufwm. I've set the transparent frame:

herbstclient set frame_bg_transparent '1'

So wallpaper appear. But when I launch

root-tail -g 800x250+100+50 /var/log/errors.log

There's nothing on the root window.

The problem is, that it is not true transparency but false (or fake) transparency, i.e. only the background image of the root window is used in "transparent" frames. I am sure, that the log is visible on your root window, you just can't see the actual root window because of the frames. If you switch to floating mode or disable unused frames then you can see the root window (and also your error.log)

herbstclient set always_show_frame 0
mentat wrote:

Do you know how can I get the frame id of the current tag ?
Or does it have an option to use root window ?

It is completely independet from tags and there is only one root window.

Offline

#122 2012-01-04 12:53:27

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

Thx for answer, I understand more now ...
but can I draw on the "root / parent" frame who is draw when I change tag ?
Because I can target the id of the "frame" window.

Offline

#123 2012-01-04 13:57:12

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

mentat wrote:

Thx for answer, I understand more now ...
but can I draw on the "root / parent" frame who is draw when I change tag ?
Because I can target the id of the "frame" window.

No, because every tag has its own frames and they are added/removed if you split/remove frames. So the window id of the frame changes very often and drawing root-tail on it isn't useful.

Offline

#124 2012-01-04 14:13:32

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

Thx²,
so I cannot see the root window when I change to an empty frame / tag with some parameters combinaison like :

window_border_active_color
always_show_frame
frame_bg_transparent 

Offline

#125 2012-01-04 14:19:30

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

mentat wrote:

Thx²,
so I cannot see the root window when I change to an empty frame / tag with some parameters combinaison like :

window_border_active_color
always_show_frame
frame_bg_transparent 

Depends on your current layout. Do this on an empty tag and you will see the root window:

herbstclient set always_show_frame 0
herbstclient set frame_bg_transparent 1
herbstclient load '(split vertical:0.500000:0 (split vertical:0.500000:0 (split vertical:0.500000:0 (clients vertical:0) (clients vertical:0)) (clients vertical:0)) (clients vertical:0))'

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB