You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-05 22:40:26

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

Just managed to get Arch running again due to some Intel video fixes in 3.2, yay. smile

Now wireless: brcmsmac seems completely missing in the module tree, also reported for the AUR-kernel here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=50893

It seems the 3.1 kernel just needed bcma blacklisted from loading, however with a completely missing brcmsmac module this isn't enough. The AUR comments seem to imply that bcma needs to be disabled in the kernel config for brcmsmac to get used.

Is this the case? Does anyone have any other information on this?

[edit] flyspray report here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27844

Last edited by litemotiv (2012-01-05 22:43:01)


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#2 2012-01-05 22:44:54

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,431

Re: linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

litemotiv wrote:

Is this the case?

Yes it is. Because of the conflict in previous kernels, kernel 3.2 was made so that you only get brcmsmac if you don't select bcma. The discussion about it starts here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ker … ocus=77083

However, here comes the fun part: In the next kernel, 3.3, brcmsmac will actually use bcma! But we're not there yet.

Last edited by Gusar (2012-01-05 22:46:06)

Offline

#3 2012-01-06 06:03:09

akanski
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 31

Re: linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

Thank you @Gusar for the bad news. I notice I'll even be unable to use the module compiling it for myself, won't I? :-(


1. Index » Kernel & Hardware » No wireless after kernel upgrade

I've got annoying stuff after updating as well. But in my case there's a snag when loading b43 module on Linux 3.2,

b43-phy1 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 10, Type 8, Revision 1)

However, I had no problem when loading brcmsmac module while it stayed in staging branch, so I have been pitchforked into downgrading Linux kernel to 3.1.7 for now. After all, the previous ones have worked fine to me for a long time, and as the saying goes, "if it works don't fix it" ;-)

Even so, I hope to fix it as soon as possible, because I'm obviously kidding.

By the way, my problematic hardware [ lspci -knn | grep -A3 14e4 ],

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Device [144f:7175]
	Kernel driver in use: brcmsmac
	Kernel modules: brcmsmac, bcma

Thanks in advance.

2. Index » Kernel & Hardware » No wireless after kernel upgrade
tomk wrote:

akanski - see here.

Also, you should use the testing sub-forum for issues with testing packages.

Thank you @tomk, but from what I've been able to glance at the kernel source tree, I realize that the package maintainers didn't compile brcmsmac module :-(

I suppose it's happened owing to the fact that all BRCM80211 drivers have been moved from staging branch into net subsystem right now (i.e. since Linux 3.2). So I'd prefer to wait for a new package release to solve the snag with this module rather than compiling it manually for myself. :-)

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g … 8f;hb=HEAD

Last edited by akanski (2012-01-06 06:27:09)

Offline

#4 2012-01-06 06:34:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow
From: Between Thailand and Singapore
Registered: 2009-03-17
Posts: 6,816

Re: linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

@akanski - since you seem to be affected, best to just follow that bug report.


Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Offline

#5 2012-01-06 13:26:41

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,431

Re: linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

akanski wrote:

I notice I'll even be unable to use the module compiling it for myself, won't I? :-(

Of course you will, why wouldn't you? Until the Arch folks upload a new kernel package, you can compile your own kernel. As soon as you deselect bcma, you can select brcmsmac.

Offline

#6 2012-01-06 17:47:07

akanski
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 31

Re: linux-3.2 missing brcmsmac

Gusar wrote:
akanski wrote:

I notice I'll even be unable to use the module compiling it for myself, won't I? :-(

Of course you will, why wouldn't you? Until the Arch folks upload a new kernel package, you can compile your own kernel. As soon as you deselect bcma, you can select brcmsmac.

@Gusar: O.K., I see your point but I referred to compile only the brcmsmac module instead of my own kernel without bcma support. Thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited by akanski (2012-01-06 17:58:20)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB