You are not logged in.

#151 2012-01-12 05:11:42

mhertz

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

If anybody knows a very lightweight(as in ram usage) statusbar, then please give a shoutout, thanks..

I've tried all the ones I could find mention of by googling alot, but cannot find a "no-fuzz simple text-output without anything fancy" that takes less memory than over twice of monsterwm or more...

(I see also moetunes ditched the external status-bar method, for memory-consumption reasons, in his catwm fork, and used an own implementation...)

Last edited by mhertz (2012-01-12 05:13:26)

#152 2012-01-12 06:45:03

Tzbob

mhertz wrote:

If anybody knows a very lightweight(as in ram usage) statusbar, then please give a shoutout, thanks..

I've tried all the ones I could find mention of by googling alot, but cannot find a "no-fuzz simple text-output without anything fancy" that takes less memory than over twice of monsterwm or more...

(I see also moetunes ditched the external status-bar method, for memory-consumption reasons, in his catwm fork, and used an own implementation...)

Perhaps you can output the text into dmenu? It seems to meet all your requirements, except that it's not really made for it. Perhaps you can look into ligthweight notification systems as well, anythin that displays text really. Maybe even a 1-line terminal.

#153 2012-01-12 07:48:46

Cloudef

mhertz wrote:

Just grab the xlib documentation and do one fast, it's not that hard. You have even lots of examples (looks at the tiling wm's at community contributions <_<) Having extrenal application for something that simple might not be worth it either.

Last edited by Cloudef (2012-01-12 07:49:31)

#154 2012-01-12 08:31:11

stlarch

I personally like keeping the wm and status bar seperate for whatever it's worth (about 2 cents). It might use a few more resources but it gives a little more control. I pretty much like everything about monster. I'm running out of reasons to keep using dwm.

#155 2012-01-12 09:30:19

Army

ivoarch wrote:

@Army   
For restarting dwm without logging out or closing applications, change or add a startup script so that it loads dwm in a while loop, like this:

while true; do
    # Log stderror to a file 
    dwm 2> ~/.dwm.log
    # No error logging
    #dwm >/dev/null 2>&1
done 

Hi ivoarch, that's exactly what I do with dwm and it works there, but this approach doesn't seem to work with monsterwm. That's what I'm wondering about.

#156 2012-01-12 09:53:51

moetunes

mhertz wrote:

I've made a simple bar and threw it up here.
It reads the root window name like dwm(and probably others) do.
Here's a pic of it 50 pixels down( it defaults to the top of the screen ) :
tYzdubw
The colours will need changing.
It averages about 250KiB according to ps_mem.py and mem.py which suprised me 'cause adding a desktop switcher, space to show the current windows' name and conky output to dminiwm only added about 130KiB so I'm guessing creating a pid adds a bit to the mem used...
Another issue with a non window manager bar is the space the wm leaves for the bar has to be adjusted by rebuilding the wm.
Here's the conkyrc I use to get terminsmod.icons working

out_to_x no
out_to_console yes
double_buffer yes
use_spacer left
update_interval 1
no_buffers yes

TEXT
&4${execi 1800 printf '\xCE'} &1${mem} &4${execi 1800 printf '\xB1'}&2${execi 20 /home/pnewm/.bin/sensors_out}&4 ${execi 1800 printf '\xB5'}&3  ${cpu cpu1}% ${cpu cpu2}% ${cpu cpu3}% ${cpu cpu4}% &4 ${execi 1800 printf '\xA4'} &1${if_up wlan0}${downspeed wlan0}${wireless_link_qual_perc wlan0}%$else${downspeed eth0}$endif &4${execi 1800 printf '\xF0'}&3 $battery &4${execi 1800 printf '\xB9'}&1 ${uptime} &4${execi 1800 printf '\xC9'}&1 ${time %a %d/%m} &4:&2 ${execi 60 /home/pnewm/progs/c.files/fuzzyctime} &4${execi 1800 printf '\xEA'}

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#157 2012-01-12 15:50:13

mhertz

@Tzbob

Dmenu is static, and dosen't update the output for the new values generated from e.g. a while loop in .xinitrc...

@Cloudef

I'm just getting into learning the ropes of the c standard library, so I don't really have the confidence in jumping into something like xlib, or any other external lib for that matter, and with no previous programming experience, i'm having a pretty hard time with just the basics I must confess...

@moetunes

Thanks alot, mate! That's a nice contribution, and so far the lightest i've tried(as you stated about 248kb private mem and 150kb shared, on arch64)...

Btw, i've read alot of old posts on the dwm mailing list where the question of using external status-bar has come up often, but anselm has always argued that even though it sounds "nice" in theory, then it's much more simple to have it internally, like e.g this post:

> On 4/25/09, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam@...> wrote:
>> 1. One idea is getting rid of the dwm bar altogether and to print the
>> dwm state to stdout when it changes, however after thinking carefully
>> about it I conclude that having the bar build-in is definately a
>> stayer. It's so much simpler than the hassle with an external bar, not
>> worth it. So very unlikely.
>
> if external bar is a hassle then inter-process communication is broken
> in our systems
>
> if built-in bar is a hassle then x is broken (unable to display text)

Well, an external bar is a hassle because it would increase the
overall complexity if it's assumed to be implemented properly (or in a
fashion like what we got). One has to specify handling where the bar
appears, which size, and all kinds of interface handling between the
bar and dwm.

Not that anselm's oppenion matters in this project, but nonetheless, maybe just some input to take into consideration?....

Edit: Hmm, it's propperly me that's minunderstanding something fundamental here, but I seem to only get some_sorta_bar displayed on desktop 1(0) and not the rest?

Last edited by mhertz (2012-01-12 16:08:55)

#158 2012-01-12 19:32:23

moetunes

mhertz wrote:

Edit: Hmm, it's propperly me that's minunderstanding something fundamental here, but I seem to only get some_sorta_bar displayed on desktop 1(0) and not the rest?

If you start it from .xinitrc it will be on all desktops.

#159 2012-01-12 21:36:37

stlarch

Hey moetunes, I've been playing with the new bar and dminiwm. I have a couple problems aside from the same thing mhertz mentioned. The bar dissapears for a couple seconds when I close an app for example and the reappears about fifteen pixels lower or so and gets hidden. I'm also getting this error when I log out of X

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0" after XX requests (XX known processed) with 0 events remaining 

. Here's a couple screenshots:
tYzgyNg    tYzgyOA

I'm using a status script, not conky and I'm starting it with this script called from my .xinitrc (maybe it's how I'm doing it):

#!/bin/sh

while sleep 2; do dminiwmstatus.sh
done | some_sorta_bar &

exec dminiwm

Dminiwm is pretty cool too btw. I'll be trying your other wm later. Thanks for all the work.

#160 2012-01-12 21:49:46

c00kiemon5ter
Website

hey everyone, I was away the last couple of days

Army wrote:

How can I make all windows of all tags visible with e.g. Mod4+0 ? It's a nice feature imo. And being able to focus more than one tag at once, e.g. tag 3 and 4 is also very nice.

monsterwm doesn't have tags, but desktops, at least for now, so yo can't do that for the time being.

Army wrote:

The problem with the crash with mplayer after toggling fullscreen only happens sometimes, but it still happens. Any hint how I can deliver usable informations? I use the xf86-video-ati driver with this card

I'll try to test again, and see what happens

Army wrote:

Hi ivoarch, that's exactly what I do with dwm and it works there, but this approach doesn't seem to work with monsterwm. That's what I'm wondering about.

monsterwm, does not keep windows alive on restart, it's lots of hussle to implement that, I don't think it'll ever be on master.

hey moetunes, thanks for the bar, I'll try it out too wink
also cloudef is getting transision to xcb work smile

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-13 05:51:48)

.:[ git me! ] :.

#161 2012-01-12 22:34:02

moetunes

stlarch wrote:

Hey moetunes, I've been playing with the new bar and dminiwm. I have a couple problems aside from the same thing mhertz mentioned. The bar dissapears for a couple seconds when I close an app for example and the reappears about fifteen pixels lower or so and gets hidden. I'm also getting this error when I log out of X

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0" after XX requests (XX known processed) with 0 events remaining 

. Here's a couple screenshots:
http://ompldr.org/tYzgyNg    http://ompldr.org/tYzgyOA

I'm using a status script, not conky and I'm starting it with this script called from my .xinitrc (maybe it's how I'm doing it):

#!/bin/sh

while sleep 2; do dminiwmstatus.sh
done | some_sorta_bar &

exec dminiwm

Dminiwm is pretty cool too btw. I'll be trying your other wm later. Thanks for all the work.

The bar reads the root window name. This is my xinitrc :

starter="exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session "

numlockx &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
fbsetbg -l &
xterm &
~/progs/c.files/some_sorta_bar/some_sorta_bar &

conky -c ~/build/status_conky| while read -r; do xsetroot -name "$REPLY"; done &
$starter ~/build/dminiwm-0.2.9/src/dminiwm

exit 0

The script doesn't get piped into the bar. You'll probably need something like :

~/path/to/some_sorta_bar &
while true; do
   xsetroot -name "$( ~/path/to/script )"
   sleep 1
done &
exec dminiwm

The way you are using it might have something to do with where it shows up 'cause it doesn't move here.

Edit: The text was blinking here when a window was added or removed so I fixed that. Either a git pull or an edit to the c file changing XMapWindow to XMapRaised will fix it.

Last edited by moetunes (2012-01-12 22:54:28)

#162 2012-01-13 07:26:35

stlarch

Hey moe, hey moe. I had to leave right after I posted before, sorry. I have xsetroot -name in my status script and wasn't sure how to do it. I don't know why I tried to pipe it. Anyway, I tried a few different things and I'm still having the same problems I had earlier. I have dzen running right now with dminiwm and it works fine except I'm still getting the error when I log out of X. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks

#163 2012-01-13 08:39:01

Army

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

hey everyone, I was away the last couple of days

Army wrote:

How can I make all windows of all tags visible with e.g. Mod4+0 ? It's a nice feature imo. And being able to focus more than one tag at once, e.g. tag 3 and 4 is also very nice.

monsterwm doesn't have tags, but desktops, at least for now, so yo can't do that for the time being.

Army wrote:

The problem with the crash with mplayer after toggling fullscreen only happens sometimes, but it still happens. Any hint how I can deliver usable informations? I use the xf86-video-ati driver with this card

I'll try to test again, and see what happens

Army wrote:

monsterwm, does not keep windows alive on restart, it's lots of hussle to implement that, I don't think it'll ever be on master.

Thanks for your answers!

The last couple of days the problem with mplayer crashing monsterwm didn't happen. Maybe it IS solved, but I'm not sure, it might happen again next time, who knows. Or have you already found something which might cause the problem and fixed it?

#164 2012-01-13 19:01:36

c00kiemon5ter
Website

ohai o/

tYzhwNw

#165 2012-01-13 19:07:29

bohoomil
Website

Do you mean: it's *floating* now?! 8-)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#166 2012-01-13 19:09:26

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I'll be pushing in a few minutes, you'll need to add the appropriate array in your config, see the default one for the new array.

#167 2012-01-13 19:43:40

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Alright, test it out for yourselfs smile

The new changes are:
Alt + Button1(left click) -> moves a window
Alt + Button3(right click) -> resizes a window
WinKey + Button3 -> spawns dmenu

everything is configurable. Something to note: floating mode will revert back to the current layout if you add/remove a window, as long as it's not transient.

I also fixed some issues that could cause the wm to freeze if the first stack window was fullscreen or transient, or if the last window on stack was fullscreen or transient, and such sort of stuff..

all in all:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Language                     files          blank        comment           code
C                                1             99             73            664
C/C++ Header                     1              9              9             66
SUM:                             2            108             82            730

That's 78 lines (for .c) with output info, all the needed floating support I'd like, fullscreen support, and many many bugfixes from when this was announced.
updated below

hf smile

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-13 20:54:17)

#168 2012-01-13 20:08:55

Paul-S

Nice c00kiemon5ter, works a treat smile

Cheers
Paul-S

#169 2012-01-13 20:16:05

c00kiemon5ter
Website

also updated the docs and manpage

and a shot:

tYzhxeA

also just merged the code of move and resize with the mouse, and now the action depends on the option given in the config (see the default one). So we're actually 20 lines down:

Language                     files          blank        comment           code
C                                1             96             73            641
C/C++ Header                     1              9              9             66
SUM:                             2            105             82            707

That's 55 lines (for .c) with output info, all the needed floating support I'd like, fullscreen support, and many many bugfixes from when this was announced.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-13 20:49:59)

#170 2012-01-13 21:22:04

cyph3r

Here's another logo attempt smile Great wm!
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1040352

Last edited by cyph3r (2012-01-13 21:22:16)

#171 2012-01-14 00:33:13

kuraku

@c00kiemon5ter
Will we get option to save floating windows geometry and position in future?

p.s. My quick logo mockup for monsterwm: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1040450

Last edited by kuraku (2012-01-14 01:28:52)

#172 2012-01-14 01:16:23

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Alright, I figured out it's easy enough to keep the floating state, just 3 lines cost.
Changing desktops, adding or removing windows, does not affect floating state of windows.
To reset windows, just switch to the mode you want.

I'll be updating the docs in a bit too

#173 2012-01-14 02:24:49

kuraku

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Alright, I figured out it's easy enough to keep the floating state, just 3 lines cost.
Changing desktops, adding or removing windows, does not affect floating state of windows.
To reset windows, just switch to the mode you want.

Yes, it is working like a charm. Thank you for this great feature smile

#174 2012-01-14 10:46:30

bloom
Website

Windows should to have two borders instead of one:

Disregarding the chosen active border color, there will be windows whose background color is close enough to make the active border nearly invisible.
Hence, a second border must be inserted between the boundary of the window and the existing one.
That way, a constant contrast between the outer and the inner border can be achieved.

Last edited by bloom (2012-01-14 17:18:26)

gh · da · ds

#175 2012-01-14 10:56:27

Army

I tested the new floating mode. Works great, except of one thing: If I hold Mod4 (that's how I configured it), press button 1 on the mouse and then move the mouse on a _selected_ window, nothing happens. It only works for windows, which are not selected. Might be no bug but a feature, but I don't see it wink

Board footer