You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-18 15:10:48

lyco

Can't connect to FTPS server

Hi,

I have problem with connection to FTPS servers. When I try to connect to my testing virtual server, i get:

GnuTLS error -15: An unexpected TLS packet was received.

I am using current Filezilla, server software is vsftpd from Debian Squeeze (last version there). I tried connecting to another server with Pure-ftpd (also from Squeeze), same error. I also tried lftp, same error.

I tried downgrading gnu-tls package to 3.0.4-2 and also downgrading filezilla to 3.5.2-1, still same error.

I do not even know what could cause such error. I tried googling but with no success (there were some errors with GnuTLS, they have been corrected). What could be the cause?

Last edited by lyco (2012-01-20 08:22:06)

I'm not a native English speaker. If there are grammar errors in my post, don't beat me please. Polite pointing at them is more than enough.

#2 2012-01-18 15:28:30

pyther
Website

Re: Can't connect to FTPS server

SFTP and FTPS are two different things...

* FTP — File Transfer Protocol. Popular and fast way of moving files between a client and a server. The problem with FTP is that it’s not secured by encryption, leaving files at risk of being compromised during transport.
* FTPS — File Transfer Protocol over SSL. FTPS is an encrypted flavor of the FTP protocol (kind of like how HTTPS is an encrypted flavor of HTTP).
* SFTP — SSH File Transfer Protocol. SFTP uses the Secure Shell (ie: SSH) protocol to encrypt all file transfer communications. SFTP is a bit more firewall friendly because it uses only 1 port and it’s also a bit more secure than FTPS. SFTP is gaining steam as the most preferred method of secure file transfer, particularly in infrastructures that favor unix but SFTP is quickly gaining steam in Windows environments as well.

http://www.filetransferplanet.com/ftp-vs-ftps-vs-sftp/
http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/.net/net … php/c14329

Last edited by pyther (2012-01-18 15:31:12)

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2012-01-20 08:24:21

lyco

Oh sorry, my question was really about FTPS, SFTP in topic was a typo. Thanks for clarification, but my question remains.

PS: I corrected the topic.

Last edited by lyco (2012-01-20 08:24:44)

I'm not a native English speaker. If there are grammar errors in my post, don't beat me please. Polite pointing at them is more than enough.

#4 2012-01-20 17:28:57

firecat53
Website

For lftp, try setting

set ftp:ssl-force true

in your ~/.lftprc

I'm not sure about Filezilla, however. In the python FTP libraries there's also a separate class ftplib.FTP_TLS for dealing with ftps. Another issue to watch out for is firewalls, which can interfere with the SSL component.

Good luck!
Scott

Board footer