You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 14:01:02

wolfdogg

Svnserve setup

i was trying to reconfigure svn from Svnserve, to Apache with SVN,  I use it for web files, during website development.

I started off by doing the Apache with SVN method, that failed because i ran into some problems with the wiki. More on that later.

When i look into the repository, am i to expect to see the files backed up in there?  OR is it just a data files. 

Am i also able to browse the files and pick and choose what files i want?  OR do i have to just call them back by command line.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-01-22 09:40:15)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2012-01-22 01:25:05

stqn
Website

Re: Svnserve setup

I don't understand your problem very well. You're not supposed to go look inside the repository, though you should see some files in there (but not "your" files, just database and config stuff...)

You have to run "svn co svn:///your/repo" or something like that to checkout the code from your repo to somewhere else on your disk.

Edit: I think you could also not use svnserve at all and use "svn co file:///..."... Anyway you should read the manual smile.

Last edited by stqn (2012-01-22 01:27:20)

#3 2012-01-22 03:36:16

wolfdogg

ok, thanks.  I am currently reading the manual.  Although the questions i have extend beyond just being able to view the files, i read in the arch wiki, or another wiki, that you "one nice feature is that you could view your files". So is that a feature of of the Apache setup adn not svnserve? If i wanted to finish setting up the Apache for subversion setup, where would you suggest i put the (branch, tags, trunk) dirs for a very large web files directory that contains hordes of different websites and web files? (i would like to get into it with WebDav).

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-01-22 09:43:07)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2012-01-22 04:49:05

wolfdogg

stqn wrote:

You're not supposed to go look inside the repository, though you should see some files in there (but not "your" files, just database and config stuff...)

I was referring to FSFS vs. a Berkely DB as far as file read access.

i found a good section in the manual http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn. … ooselayout
its what i needed.

Has anybody done this for webfiles that can tell me how they worked around moving all the webfiles to the trunk directory?  What i did was ignored using the trunk,branch, and tags, since its not mandatory, and just created a repo for each website inside /svn/repos, and left the site files where they are. I was able to import all sites successfully. 

I removed the error questions i had here after solving them,  and noted them in the wiki discussion in case anybody else runs into teh same problems.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2012-01-23 03:58:53)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer