You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-20 14:14:02

scenox

Arch network with thin clients and Android tablets (VDI)

Hi guys,

I want to build up a server based computing network with 3 thin clients, 1 Android tablet and some Android smartphones (students flat share).
Every user should have an own user account with his customized Arch Gnome3 desktop and all the personal data. The apps like LibreOffice should be installed on the server and should be available for every user.

I've looked around and found Citrix, but I think it can't deliver Linux desktops (?). So there is FreeNX, x2go and LTSP (XEN can't deliver, can it?). I heard that LTSP doesn't compress data, so it's maybe not running well on a WiFi based tablet.

Which package should I choose? Any advise would be great.

Edit: My favourites so far are x2go and FreeNX. It seems that FreeNX doesn't have an Android client, but in NX 4.0, browser-based access will be introduced (http://www.nomachine.com/web-player.php).
Will I be able to access FreeNX stuff with this web player?

Last edited by scenox (2011-06-20 19:17:54)

#2 2011-06-23 00:02:10

scenox

Re: Arch network with thin clients and Android tablets (VDI)

X2go does a pretty good job, but there is also no Android Client at the moment.

Anyone knows another pkg as those mentioned? I also tried vnc, but the latency is too high. Is there nothing like Citrix HDX in the open source world?

Edit: I've searched around a little bit and found SPICE. Nearly as good as Citrix, but also no Android client

Last edited by scenox (2011-06-23 12:01:08)

#3 2012-01-24 22:16:23

walterjwhite

Hi,

I am interested in doing the same thing, have you made any more progress regarding thin clients?  I just started dabbling, so I only know of the names you mentioned, but not much more in-depth than that.

Walter

#4 2012-01-24 23:10:05

Awebb

I'm also looking for something like this for ages. The answer is: There is no Android client. The cool thing is: It's like that no matter the question...

Good news show up, as Xpra makers seem to work on an Android client, which would be nice. In fact, there is an android client, but I can't get it to work. Duh.

Board footer