You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-03 18:20:15

emk

Can't login after pxe boot to Diskless root server

I'm creating a diskless root over NFS server following the wiki here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … t_NFS_root

I have got everything working to the point wher the diskless client is able to boot over PXE and present a login prompt. However I can not login. THe error I'm getting is

"Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info"

I suspect I have just not done something simple but crucial. Perhaps to do with PAM. I had this same setup working untill I messed it up yesterday and I'm trying to recreate it. Unfortunately I don't remember how I did it some 6 or 7 months ago. And the wiki page is silent on the subject of logins.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 2012-01-26 16:50:31

nomorewindows

Re: Can't login after pxe boot to Diskless root server

Depends on what you were doing.  Perhaps a look back at the log files might reveal something?  Hard to tell if this is something you did on your server or in your tftpboot installation?

What are your permissions on your tftpboot mount?

Last edited by nomorewindows (2012-01-26 21:47:35)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2012-01-26 23:49:28

emk

@nomorewindows. I had to do a complete recreation of the entire setup. So I just followed the wiki again to recreate it and voila it worked. So I can't say what the issue was. It was actually quicker to do this than to trouble shoot.
emk

#4 2012-01-27 00:45:24

nomorewindows

If the diskless client is the same architecture as your server, you can borrow the same packages, just pointing the cachedir to the server's package cache.  It definitely will install quick if no extra downloading is needed.  Hopefully, you were able to use that. 
You can even put your tftpboot directory on another disk/partition, just have to point everything in tftpd/nfsd and the like.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer