You are not logged in.

#51 2012-01-27 15:49:09

Earnestly

Re: Net Upgrade Size - what is this?

From an English background, I would only understand it given the context but mainly due to Physics lessons tongue

#52 2012-01-27 15:52:13

alphaniner

Kaustic wrote:

... Physics lessons

Same here.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#53 2012-01-27 15:52:51

student975

Total Download Size:    0.14 MiB
Total Installed Size:   1.09 MiB
  +/- Installed Size:  -0.02 MiB

smile

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#54 2012-01-27 16:15:53

kiLLroy_ow

Well maybe we can look how other distribution call this. Maybe this will not help because.. e.g. debian does not have the problem:

After this operation, 213 B of additional disk space will be used.

Maybe someone knows another word which is usable for FOO in the term "FOO Installed Size". I don't know if "Real Installed Size" would fit. For now I'm still stuck with "Delta Installed Size" sad What do the other thread readers think about the delta-term (native english speakers and non-native speakers)? Is "Delta Installed Size" really only good if one had physics lessons? As I said I used the term without thinking of math or physics.

Another question:
Does output really need to be good translatable? I think this is up to the translators (devide and conquer). For other languages maybe they would write a whole sentence or even something completely different.

the 'arch' of truth

#55 2012-01-27 17:13:58

Earnestly

For other languages maybe they would write a whole sentence or even something completely different.

That's probably the best solution.

#56 2012-07-19 09:21:33

yahou

I really don't understand why the English locale should be changed to make it more accessible to non-native speakers of English. The system has been translated into numerous languages, and if there are errors in translations (e.g. in the Italian and, possibly, the German version), then THESE should be fixed, not the original! It is common for translators of software to work without context, so nothing to discuss here, people - just fix the translations.
No, I'm not a native speaker of English, but I choose to stick with the English locale because I feel comfortable enough working with this language, and "Net" used in the context of SIZE (or weight) is immediately unambiguous to me. On the other hand "Delta Upgrade Size" would send me straight to Mr. Google for advice.

I know this is an old thread, but as I'm still seeing Net Upgrade Size in my pacman's output, I guess the discussion is still open.

Debian Wheezy and Archbang i686 on Eee PC 1005PE

#57 2012-07-19 09:36:23

Awebb

I guess the discussion is obsolete. Most people who didn't know what it means, when it first turned up, have probably read the thread and now know, what a "net size" is. I didn't know that "Net" is used on cereal boxes and the likes, but I managed to figure out the meaning in pacman by myself, because it wasn't too hard to understand, that a "net size of -1.5 MB" must be the gain or loss in disk space after the update.

#58 2012-07-19 13:14:20

ANOKNUSA

I'd have to agree with Awebb, since it's been so long.  Honestly, I'm not sure any change would have ever been needed: does this concept really not exist in other languages?  I have a very hard time believing that "net" and "gross" don't exist in other cultures, as the concepts are applied as basic principles of physics, genetics, economics...  Confusion seems more likely due to a lack of knowledge on the users' part.

#59 2013-02-06 02:34:35

Jristz

Not sure if good to bump the post but ...meh
I try to fix the problem in my locale due to the fact that is already say that 'Net' if for 'Netto' but in my locale is translated as from 'network'
I try to submit the fix throw transifex using the correct netto (neto) but was reverted and reyected because 'Is net for network not for netto'

any have a explication why translator stick to an unacurated translation if already is say that is wrong an the fix was submited???

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#60 2013-02-06 02:54:49

Allan
Pacman
Website

@Jristz - can you file a bug report in the pacman section?  I will address this with the upcoming pacman-4.1 translations.

#61 2013-02-06 03:20:43

Jristz

@Allan Tanks I goin to make it now

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33732 < The bug filled

Last edited by Jristz (2013-02-06 03:24:34)

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

Board footer