You are not logged in.

#126 2011-10-30 15:06:23

terry.gardener

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

i used ubuntu for about 4 years and last couple of years used the development release because i wanted the latest software quicker.

1. rolling release and get newer apps faster.
2. wiki guides are great
3. easier to find the answer to problems.
4. only have apps that i want installed.
5. apps seem to run smoother.

Don't get me wrong Ubuntu is a great distro and i would have never tried linux if it wasn't for it, and it is great for new to linux people.

3. when i had problem with ubuntu finding answers on the web can be a minefield because you find all sorts of answers that only apply to certain versions or it doesn't work any more. The problems that i have had on arch i have found the answer alot faster and the wiki guides are very easy to follow and well written.

#127 2011-11-19 05:19:58

bsilbaugh

I wanted something that I could build up and configure according to my own needs, had a solid package management system, and was well documented. When I discovered Arch, it was love at first sight.

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

#128 2011-11-25 21:54:43

adrian9116

I chose Arch Linux randomly because I wanted to try something different. I had been using Ubuntu for 2 years and decided to switch. I didn't really understand what KISS or simple meant. When I first booted the OS, I thought something was wrong because no DM came up tongue I packined but my ego wouldn't let me remove it without getting it to work first.
It was one of my life's best mistakes, I've been using it for two years as my main (and only) linux distro. I stick to it because it works, I only install what I need and the documentation is the best you can find online.

#129 2011-11-25 22:02:35

bjornoslav

The minimalism, no bloat, very simple system configuration, the greatest wiki/documentation I've ever seen, I can tinker with it, pacman is fast and awesome, works perfect on my netbook and my desktop.

I love Arch Linux! big_smile

asus ux303la, core i5@1.6ghz, 8 gb ram, 500gb hdd, hd4400 gpu, crux x64 with openbox

#130 2011-11-26 07:31:36

San2ban
Banned

used mandriva, got tired of RH 'dependency' hell. Switched to Arch, forever

Satyam eva jayate

Registered linux user #535257

#131 2011-11-26 07:48:28

smakked

It works
Wiki is excellent
Forum was better then it is now, to many people need to learn how to use search.
It works

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#132 2011-12-14 17:21:25

hooluupog

Optimized for x86_64 and i686
Detailed wiki and helpful forum
Lightweight and it just works.
It's easier than Gentoo  smile

Last edited by hooluupog (2011-12-14 17:35:05)

#133 2011-12-19 05:54:24

ElderSnake

Package availability is a big one for me. It has literally everything I need right there in the repos, and if something is missing...well it's generally in the AUR at the very least.

It's one of the best distros IMO for Wine, for this reason. You always have Wine and it's other related packages there, fully up to date and everything which is great if you do gaming and the like.
Also, whilst Arch Linux  is thought to be bleeding edge, it often seems to have sensible stable versions. For example... XBMC. The official stable version right now is 10.1 and that's the version you'll find in the Arch repos.
Recently, I tried installing XBMC on Debian. The easiest way was to add the Debian-Multimedia repository, as XBMC is not in their default repos (same with Ubuntu). So I did and the result? It installed the 11x beta...which, after trying it, in turn updated my Mysql tables and broke compatibility of my media syncing with all my other (10.1 stable) XBMC clients -_- It's not the only distro I've seen do that either, but anyway.

It's a small example but it's just to illustrate that what I want and like is often right there in Arch, even the non-free stuff as well. I like that Arch respects ultimate freedoms and just allows the user to install whatever they wish without having to jump through hoops (though I understand sometimes this is because of legal reasons. That's okay.) I've also found Arch to be very stable, personally. So far anyway wink

Also, I don't care what the benchmarks say, Arch Linux always feels a lot faster and more responsive to me. Yes, the benchmarks may not show a whole lot of actual speed differences...but seriously, "the feel" of Arch is one that is much lighter and faster. Ubuntu, even with lighter window managers etc, always feels sluggish to me. I understand it has to be bloated to be as ready made for everyone and Just Work,  but I personally get annoyed by it and find that I like to squeeze performance out of my hardware. And it feels like Arch is making the most out of what I have.

Also, it feels to me like one of the best KDE distros. Yes I know, it's not technically a <insert DE> distro of anything. But Arch and KDE go together damn well and I have never experienced KDE to be so fast and modular as what I have experienced with it on Arch. It also amazes me how well the default Arch kernel seems to perform, but even still just last night I installed linux-ck-corex (for my Intel C2D chip and I wanted BFS) from the AUR ^_^ and that was incredibly easy.

Also, yeah...that Arch Wiki documentation is simply amazing.

Last edited by ElderSnake (2011-12-19 06:05:30)

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#134 2011-12-19 06:26:39

hadrons123

I do feel arch is fastest,leanest OS even though the benchmarks are different.installation is one time consuming process,but its all worth it,for the customization options offered to you.

AUR is Ok but 3/10 packages never  really work even though they have decent votes.

i feel arch wiki is one of the best available.it gives hands-on knowledge to get things done,rather than going volumes as in other wikis.

even in forums people are waiting to help you,provided you dont waste other people's time or commiting the sin of  not googling around and asking for help.
even though the culture in forums is bit different for newbs to take initially  its pleasant as time goes on.

since the principles of freeBSD is used in arch ,the more you use archlinux .... freeBSD tends to attract you on the sideways.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#135 2011-12-19 06:31:11

ElderSnake

hadrons123 wrote:

AUR is Ok but 3/10 packages never  really work even though they have decent votes.

Yeah... agree (btw hey hadrons, I believe we see each other on the Fedora forums lol). However, I've always figured being a user contributed repo that sometimes you just have to tweak something in the PKGBUILD yourself and put up with it. Sometimes just alerting the maintainer is enough too.

But yeah, sometimes stuff in the AUR fails, but for the most part, it's amazingly simple and mostly works pretty well.

Last edited by ElderSnake (2011-12-19 06:32:30)

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#136 2011-12-19 07:48:57

echo.unity

hadrons123 wrote:

even in forums people are waiting to help you,provided you dont waste other people's time or commiting the sin of  not googling around and asking for help.

When I first started using linux - this was first and foremost - I think I've * asked maybe a handful of questions at most (yes I can count them)

With anything ... you want to achieve something (your desired effect) - you better learn it - don't wait for someone to teach you.

Last edited by echo.unity (2011-12-19 10:10:53)

#137 2011-12-27 12:47:23

darthlukan
Website

In no particular order:

1. Documentation - Arch has a learning curve but if you can read you can run Arch simply because the documentation is second to none.
2. Simple - Every Linux distro out there has infinite customization available to it (if you're root and don't mind config files), but Arch keeps it simple, places configs where you expect them to be placed, and doesn't require knowledge of a specific language in order to edit your configuration.
3. Sheer number of packages - I consider AUR packages to be "provided by Arch".  There are enough packages in the AUR that I rarely (if ever anymore) have to go looking for a source tarball to manually create.  Chances are, someone has already created the PKGBUILD for it and made it available to any and all who would use it.
4. Rolling Release - 'Nuff said.
5. Dependency handling - USE Flags are obsolete.

The most important thing:

I was a Gentoo user for years.  I like Portage, it tried to be a Ports system for Linux.  It did its job well for a while.  Arch (IMO) perfected that system.  I see Arch as the natural evolution of what Gentoo should have progressed to become but didn't.  Arch took what Gentoo tried to do with Portage and a simple system setup and built on it without the need to get complicated.  If I want more make optimizations than what is provided by an Arch package, I can write a PKGBUILD and edit my make.conf, as well as other things as desired. 

It's powerful enough to handle anything that I throw at it but simple enough for my 7 and 8 year old kids to use as their primary OS on their systems.

#138 2012-01-02 12:09:32

Bazzaah

Its simplicity is quite sophisticated. I like that.

Arch works very well, most importantly.

#139 2012-01-04 14:03:48

Silex89

tlmiller wrote:

I actually run lots of OS's.  Of those, I choose to keep Arch around because several reasons:

1.  I do like having ONLY what I want installed.  Arch & Debian are great for this.
2.  I do like to keep up to date.  Arch and OpenSuse are great for this (and with some work, Debian can do this, but generally it's more work than it's worth)

This! smile

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#140 2012-01-06 03:50:10

Yurlungur

The main reason I'm using Arch is to learn more about what goes on under the hood in *NIX. I've been using Linux for about a year now, hopping from distro to distro, and I decided it was time I really start controlling my computer. The Arch Install process taught me more than I'd otherwise learned in the past six months! Of course, this is all thanks to the excellent wiki--thanks to everyone whose contributed to that. I use Gentoo for my server, and while the Gentoo wiki told me what to do to set everything up, the explanation about what precisely I was doing and why was lacking in comparison to the Arch wiki. I plan to stay with Arch for a long time for this reason.

GI Jack wrote:

Things that keep me using other distros for at least somethings.:
small package pool(at least compared to Ubuntu and Debian).

I've seen this sentiment a couple of times on this thread (obviously it doesn't keep you off Arch, since you're all here smile ), but I beg to differ.  Before I moved to Arch, I primarily used Fedora both because it offered some customization (nowhere near what Arch offers, of course) because it had all the hot new things and because the package base was enormous and stable. I do a lot of scientific computing, and the databases in Debian are lacking in the newest versions of my favorite software in this respect. However, I've been pleasantly surprised with available packages in Arch. If something isn't in the main repositories, the AUR makes it a breeze for me to compile and install from source, a task I dreaded when I used Mint. While Arch's large package database is not my primary reason for using Arch, I would be unable to use it for work if the database was smaller.

Also, as an afterthought, Arch is wicked fast thanks to its minimalistic nature.

Sorry, this was probably TLDR.

Last edited by Yurlungur (2012-01-06 03:50:57)

Lenovo Thinkpad T420; Intel sandy bridge i7 2.7GHz; integrated graphics card; 4GB RAM; wifi; Arch; Xmonad WM

#141 2012-01-14 22:54:53

Zukaro

I chose ArchLinux as I wanted to learn a bit about Linux basically.  I've already learned quite a bit in the first few days of using it.
Also there's just something special about only using the command line, it's just fun and I like it.

I used to use Ubuntu 11.10 before ArchLinux (however I do plan to go back to Ubuntu, but I want to dualboot it with ArchLinux (which I plan to do sometime eventually)).
I was going to switch from Ubuntu 11.10 to Fedora 16 as it has Gnome3 already, but it was lacking a bunch of the things I really liked about Ubuntu (such as multi-touch on my touch pad).

Instead I decided to try out ArchLinux and learn about Linux a bit more before I switch back to Ubuntu (and I plan to put ArchLinux on this old Dell Latitude CSx I have sometime and try it out on that).

#142 2012-01-15 17:01:00

moritz309

I use Arch because it gives the user the possibility to configure the system accrodingly to his own needs. This is fundamental to understand how an OS works.
Moreover, it works perfectly on old computers as well.

#143 2012-01-17 00:54:43

cwaydt

Pacman, the AUR, the Wikis, and last but not least this forum.

#144 2012-01-29 16:05:08

DarkCerberus
Banned

I switched to Arch Linux back in 2011 because of it's rolling release, pacman and I think Arch Linux is thee best Operating System and far better than MS Windows

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#145 2012-01-29 22:34:14

Axalon

I've only been seriously using Arch for a little over a week so I'm not going to sing praises just yet but I must say that I like it so far. I initially tried it out because I just wanted to try something new, and I specifically wanted to try out a rolling release distro.

I really like Pacman so far, it's extremely easy to search for local and repo packages and to display a list of what you have installed (I know that this can be done with other package mangers but I always forget how). The AUR is very nice, it reminds me of SlackBuilds, but quite a bit bigger and more convenient. The system is pretty easy to work with, I quite like how config files are set up, it's easier for me to remember what file to go to when I want to do something in Arch than other systems (though Slackware's set up was pretty easy to remember too). To echo others, the Wiki is fantastic, it's helped me with most everything I needed help with. It's also been pretty stable so far, I'm not using the testing repos so hopefully that will continue.

#146 2012-02-28 17:13:06

kc3

I chose Arch because I LOVE being in control over what's on my computer from the start, I had Slackware for a long time (and loved it) but I didn't like actually having to select what not to install to have a truly stripped down and stream lined system, with Arch it's like a fresh install and I get to choose what's on it... Plus frequent updates is huge for me smile

#147 2012-03-08 01:51:00

ZombieX

I started using Arch back in 2007. I was intimidated at first considering that I had only used Ubuntu. The install was straight forward and configuration was a breeze. The more I got familiar with Arch, the more I loved it. I tried several other distros(Debian, LinuxMint, OpenSUSE, just to name a few) but I always kept comparing them to Arch. Finally decided to trash all the other install discs and stick with what works best for me--ARCH!!

Last edited by ZombieX (2012-03-08 01:51:25)

#148 2012-03-08 02:22:20

tladuke

Originally, I was trying to build an HTPC with Ubuntu or Debian and the runlevel and rc stuff was a nightmare.

#149 2012-03-09 08:17:22

myarch

simple
pacman
aur
abs

#150 2012-03-09 17:01:53

Meskarune
Website

I like rolling release better than standard release
I hate installing an OS, then unsintalling a bunch of default programs and installing my own preferred programs. Better to just start from scratch
rc.conf
pacman
abs and aur
Arch just works (I've had the same install for over 2 years, no bugs or issues. -- I don't use testing or beta software-- In the 6 year's I've used arch, my hardware failed before the OS had a chance to.)

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Board footer