You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 07:39:56

franzrogar

[Kernel] May linux-ck kernel eventually come to "core"?

Hello,

This is not a rethorical question nor a flame war thread. This is a true question now that I've bought a new laptop.

I found (no fan sensors...) that running even "World of Goo" (not too many CPU intensive), the temperature went from 51ºC up to 84ºC easily (in less than 1 minute) with 85ºC tagged as "high" and 100ºC as critical.

I thought it was the working temperature (a bit high, I now) but I thought as I found the linux-ck repo that I might give it a try.

So, I installed "ck-corex" (which matches my Core i7 kernel) and found that even running CPU intensive applications, my core temperature was 64ºC.. Which is 20ºC less than stock kernel!!

Then, that's my question: do you think a more optimized linux kernel should be on "core" so newbies may use it as default? Or, at least, give it more publicity so it may lower hardware risks?

Thanks in advance,
  franzrogar

Last edited by franzrogar (2012-02-04 08:27:05)

Franz Rogar
MOTM : "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

#2 2012-02-04 08:29:56

Larsson

Re: [Kernel] May linux-ck kernel eventually come to "core"?

Well the user-repo for linux-ck functions very well, and there's realy no reason to put it in the repos since it not vanilla.

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#3 2012-02-04 08:46:05

franzrogar

I understand that, then, I think it would need more publicity about different kernels.

In fact, I've searched "kernel" term in the wiki and it didn't show up "Kernels" wiki page (I don't know why it's in plural...)

I've just edited "Kernels" wiki page linking "linux-ck" section against its wiki page with more info instead of AUR (which was before) but I still feel it's rather difficult to reach that information.

Franz Rogar

#4 2012-02-04 14:57:21

karol
Archivist

When searching for 'kernel', the second hit is 'Kernel Patches and Patchsets' which redirects to 'Kernels', which is what you were looking for.
There's also the kernel category: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … _(English)

#5 2012-02-04 16:58:21

franzrogar

Oh, OK. Thank you very much for the information but I think a newbie would never click on a page called "patches and patchsets". That title is so intimidating...

Also, unless you "know" that there are other kernels you would never look for them. Then, you're no more a newbie and, probably, you would ended frying your processor... (+20ºC and in winter... I don't want to think about it in summer...)

I know the process is quite complex for a newbie too:
* install base
* install lm_sensors
* The issue: check temperatures before & after running a program
* The idea: install an "optimized kernel" (you're no longer a newbie) just looking for better responsiveness
* The issue arises: why not to check temperatures before & after running a program with the alternate kernel... and realise it's 20ºC cooler

So, unless you stop being a newbie, you may end up frying your processor because, in my opinion, the information is not shown to you sooner.

Maybe, adding a subsection in the "5 Extra" section of "Beginners' Guide", just like the "Sound" one, but refering to kernels, would be good, IMHO.

The only needed things would be informing to install lm_sensors to check temperature, because AUR was lectured before in section 4.

Franz Rogar

#6 2012-02-04 17:12:34

karol
Archivist

franzrogar wrote:

Oh, OK. Thank you very much for the information but I think a newbie would never click on a page called "patches and patchsets". That title is so intimidating...

Good. As you must have already read, Arch is for competent Linux users.

The Beginners's Guide should focus on just the basic stuff, customization - especially using packages that are not in the official repos - is best left out.
In section 4 you were told there exist something like the AUR, but you should refer to e.g. linux-ck article / thread / AUR page for details on how to make this particular package work.

#7 2012-02-04 17:12:41

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@franz - it's wiki, write the section yourself smile

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#8 2012-02-04 17:19:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

[core] is for - as the name says - the core stuff. It will never end up there; the 'farthest' it can get is [community] afaik.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2012-02-04 17:22:51

karol
Archivist

graysky wrote:

@franz - it's wiki, write the section yourself smile

Sure, just not to the Beginner' Guide, I think https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge … mendations would be a better fit.

franzrogar, I undid your edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=181935

#10 2012-02-04 17:36:38

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

.:B:. wrote:

[core] is for - as the name says - the core stuff. It will never end up there; the 'farthest' it can get is [community] afaik.

I should add that the AUR is probably the best place for it since there is flexibility in the PKGBUILD:

### PATCH AND BUILD OPTIONS
_makenconfig="n"  # tweak kernel options prior to a build via nconfig
_localmodcfg="n"  # compile ONLY probed modules
_use_current="n"  # use the current kernel's .config file
_BFQ_enable_="n"  # enable BFQ as the default I/O scheduler

The versions I maintain on http://repo-ck.com include BFQ and the standard ARCH config.

Last edited by graysky (2012-02-04 17:37:00)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#11 2012-02-16 06:42:26

Avant-texte

I understand your point, but that's not realy what Arch is about. The Arch devs simply work to make sure everything can compile into a coherent system, only considering code modifications when it's absolutely needed (such as breakage and security bugs that wont be fixed upstream for a while). If you think there's a better do something than the way of the actual maintainers of a program, that's your business. It's not the Arch devs' jobs to decide that for you. That's why we have ABS/makepkg. wink

...still, if you and others feel that strongly about it, it may some day appear in community as an alternitive kernel if it becomes recognized as fork project and not just a patch.

#12 2013-07-17 04:19:11

enihcam

Avant-texte wrote:

I understand your point, but that's not realy what Arch is about. The Arch devs simply work to make sure everything can compile into a coherent system, only considering code modifications when it's absolutely needed (such as breakage and security bugs that wont be fixed upstream for a while). If you think there's a better do something than the way of the actual maintainers of a program, that's your business. It's not the Arch devs' jobs to decide that for you. That's why we have ABS/makepkg. wink

...still, if you and others feel that strongly about it, it may some day appear in community as an alternitive kernel if it becomes recognized as fork project and not just a patch.

Is it time now for linux-ck optimized versions going into community?

#13 2013-07-17 05:30:49

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

enihcam wrote:

Is it time now for linux-ck optimized versions going into community?

I'm not sure exactly why now is the time for this to happen, but:
1) Feature requests belong in the Bug Tracker
2) Packages will move from AUR to [community] when a TU is willing to invest their volunteer time into maintaining it.
3) Please don't disturb the zombies.

Closing.

Board footer