You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-19 17:06:17

karol
Archivist

[solved] Splitting and merging threads

If thread A is split into A and B, are people that were subscribed to thread A automatically subscribed to thread B (doesn't seem so) or is there at least an option to do so from the forum admin/moderator panel? A moderator leaving a message in thread A, saying that some posts have been moved to thread B + a link to thread B is fine, I'm just curious how it works.

If thread B got merged ("appended") into thread A and I was subscribed to thread B but not to thread A, I end but not being subscribed to A+B thread. Is there an option in the forum admin panel to merge the "subscription lists" for both threads?
I may request such option upstream but first I wanted to make sure it's not available already :-)

Last edited by karol (2012-05-03 18:15:52)

#2 2012-01-19 17:24:47

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [solved] Splitting and merging threads

Hi Karol,
I remember a while back you had made a report along these lines.  One of the moderator (fsckd IIRC) ran an experiment in the moderator sub forum (We can talk amongst ourselves wink ).  The results were that, no, the subscription lists are not merged.  I do not know why, but I thought we had made you aware of those results.  Apologies.

As moderators, we do not have access to the underlying structure of the forums.  I am not familiar with the FluxBB software.  Your request probably needs to be directed upstream, or to the developer in charge of the infrastructure.  The mailing lists might be the better vehicle for that.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-01-19 18:46:57

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I tested splitting, not merging and I tested merging just now. ewaller is correct on both counts. smile

Splitting: Thread A (subscribed) split into threads A (still subscribed) and B (not subscribed).

Merging: Thread A (not subscribed) and thread B (subscribed) merged into thread A (still not subscribed).

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#4 2012-01-19 21:25:28

karol
Archivist

ewaller wrote:

Hi Karol,
I remember a while back you had made a report along these lines.  One of the moderator (fsckd IIRC) ran an experiment in the moderator sub forum (We can talk amongst ourselves wink ).  The results were that, no, the subscription lists are not merged.  I do not know why, but I thought we had made you aware of those results.  Apologies.

I think that asking my question in a report might have not been the best idea and that's why it got lost. No big deal, it's neither very important nor urgent.

ewaller wrote:

As moderators, we do not have access to the underlying structure of the forums.  I am not familiar with the FluxBB software.  Your request probably needs to be directed upstream, or to the developer in charge of the infrastructure.  The mailing lists might be the better vehicle for that.

I'll start with upstream: http://fluxbb.org/development/core/tickets/599/

@fsckd
I've used your description in the bug report, I hope you don't mind.

Thank you both :-)

#5 2012-02-26 16:45:07

lie2815
Website

Greetings from FluxBB. smile

Thanks for the feedback!
We plan to implement this in our next release, which is due in early April. For updates see the ticket.

Doing my best to break your forum.
FluxBB - twitter

#6 2012-04-13 16:02:13

karol
Archivist

The bug got fixed: https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/commit … 2831a70be8 & https://github.com/fluxbb/fluxbb/commit … f6d0ef3c42
I don't speak sql, so I'll wait till we update the forum to fluxbb 1.4.9 to test it ;P

#7 2012-05-03 15:53:49

karol
Archivist

The forum has been updated to fluxbb 1.4.9.

Can some kind soul test if the issue with splitting and merging threads has been fixed?

#8 2012-05-03 17:30:53

fsckd
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

Can some kind soul test if the issue with splitting and merging threads has been fixed?

Works fine. smile

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#9 2012-05-03 18:15:36

karol
Archivist

Marking as solved then.

Thanks for all your help, fsckd :-)

Board footer