You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-09 13:00:27

Hutchy

Network Trouble (SOLVED)

. Just want to know is there a network tool during install that probes & is supposed to set up your internet connection, Reason I ask is I noticed in this part of forum that someone said in another Post " (At the "Configure Network" option during install...it probes & finds the eth0 card. Then it asks for the DHCP set up, I select yes but get "Failed to run dhcpcd" while polling DHCP.) " -But I have installed Arch atleast twice now & never noticed any network configuration tool to probe my ADSL etc. but had to edit rf.conf using Nano instead which didnt seem to quite work ,but seem to be able to ping my other Machine. If there is one then where have I missed it . Can someone help . I seem to know how to start & run Arch but am now stuck with no internet. Thanks.

Yibbidee Yibbida

#2 2005-08-09 13:51:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Network Trouble (SOLVED)

Some details of your DSL setup would be useful e.g. your hardware, connection method (PPPoE, DHCP, etc), anything else you think is useful. It's a long time since I did a regular Arch install, and I can't remember the way it's done, but configuring your network manually is very easy anyway. If you can ping, your basic setup sounds OK.

Post your /etc/rc.conf and the output of ifconfig and route as well.

#3 2005-08-09 14:03:26

jackmetal

Hutchy,  the previous post you referenced was regarding an "ftp" install of Arch.  If you select the FTP install instead of the CD install, it will attempt to detect, modprobe and then dhcpcd your eth card for the install.

You said that you could ping other systems on your network?

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#4 2005-08-09 14:15:08

Hutchy

Na Na Na , Sorry I didnt do a ftp install or tried to ,it was a CD install .and it  said during install to do a base install , but I thought it was trying to say that it was best to install the base and then update system afterwards then download pkgs you want installed , but now I have installed arch incuding XFCE etc I cant use internet to update my system.I am using a ADSL Modem . I normally have everything setup Auto using DHCP.Which is why I asked if there is something during install that sets this up or do I have to use Nano or Vi & do some editing?

Yibbidee Yibbida

#5 2005-08-09 14:46:57

jackmetal

Yes, you'll need to edit /etc/rc.conf and also /etc/modprobe.conf possibly.

What type of eth card is it?  You'll want to put something like:

alias eth0 eepro100

in your modprobe.conf (substitute eepro100 with the module for whatever card you're using.

In rc.conf you'll have something similar to:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

Also be sure to add the module for your card into the MODULES= line of rc.conf

--

-- Doug Larson

#6 2005-08-09 15:05:31

Hutchy

in /etc/rc.conf I put or have
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo dhcp=eth0) - I am not sure if that was where I was supposed to put dhcp

My eth0 card is eth0 sis900
OK. thanks for that I will type in what you gave me & see how it goes & if it doesnt work I will give a copy of my /etc/rc.conf in morning Aust time, I will also have a bit more of a search in forum etc if needed. I think I need to add the  "alias eth0 sis900"  I think thats right . I will get back later . Thanks

Yibbidee Yibbida

#7 2005-08-10 00:20:22

Hutchy

I followed JackMetal example with my eth0 module  sis900 and when booting into Arch it says " alias eth0 sis900" not found . Can someone tell me why there is no NetWork Configuration like in WIKI tutorial as part of "Setup" to automatically setup your eth0 card and dhcp etc  in "0.7" or at least I dont have that option in my setup . in other words how can I get Arch to load the right Module or driver for my eth0 card so I can run my ADSL  DSL-504G D-LINK Modem. -it seems as though in the earlier versions of Arch that there was a NetWork Configuration tool in "Setup" that sorted out your network for you? Wheres is it  gone or?  I think I need to find a good network example tutorial 4 dhcp setup and start again.as I normally have "dhcp" sort out my addresses for me. Sorry 4 any inconveniances.       Hutchy

Yibbidee Yibbida

#8 2005-08-10 12:05:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

In general, Arch does not do auto-configuration of any sort. If you say this happened in earlier versions, I'm not going to contradict you - as I mentioned, I can't remember offhand. The thing is, you have all the information required to do it with a few simple edits to a couple of files, so why not do it that way i.e. the Arch way?

To summarise, you need

MODULES=(sis900 other_module other_module etc)

and

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

in /etc/rc.conf

and

alias eth0 sis900

in /etc/modprobe.conf

#9 2005-08-10 12:44:46

jackmetal

If you're unsure of what your module should be, you can run hwd or lshwd and it will help you sort that out.

# pacman -S hwd lshwd
# lshwd

The output of lshwd will show you the module you'll need to load.  In my case below (it's eepro100):

02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.|82801BD PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (eepro100)

So, I would put eepro100 in the MODULES section of rc.conf, and an alias to it in modprobe.conf.

--

-- Doug Larson

#10 2005-08-10 14:34:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

tomk. you need one or the other, not both of those solutions.
setting up modules in modprobe.conf, or in rc.conf. Doing both is not needed.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#11 2005-08-10 22:01:58

Hutchy

Excellentee, That became good a good tutorial 4 setting up network.   Can I just say not that its important now but what I was referring to with a quote taken from another thread in the 1st post in this thread in regards to a network config tool in earlier versions is here
"1) http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=14319
"2) in a wiki you can see up top on Config Diagram here in blue "http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qui … ux_Install" AnyWay I just thought I might of been missing somthing in my Copy of Arch , I dont mind doing things Manualy as thats how we learn Linux, Thanks Again to everyone who were patient with me .

Yibbidee Yibbida

#12 2005-08-11 16:21:32

jackmetal

Hutchy wrote:

what I was referring to with a quote taken from another thread in the 1st post in this thread in regards to a network config tool in earlier versions is here
"1) http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=14319
"2) in a wiki you can see up top on Config Diagram here in blue "http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qui … ux_Install" AnyWay I just thought I might of been missing somthing in my Copy of Arch

Nope, you're not missing anything.  ;-)  That will come up during the initiall install (arch/setup) if you pick an FTP install instead of CD install.

Hutchy wrote:

Thanks Again to everyone who were patient with me .

You're welcome!

--

-- Doug Larson

Board footer