You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-16 15:58:20

vladimir_1922

Installing and set-up a dial up connection with an USB modem

Hello.

I moved recently to London, and due to some kind of critical lack of financial sustainability, I cannot afford to pay monthly a decent Internet connection. However I have a phone line on my house so I was thinking on using a USB 56k modem to connect via dial-up to Internet (my laptop don't have any integrated modem or PCMCIA port). But I honestly don' t know if that will work (all references googling send me to setting up a 3g modem, which is not the case)

What should I do? It will work fine? I remember vagely using ppp-on years ago, and editing some files... But I recknon I wont use anymore tty0 or tty1 if it is a USB device (I am using a custom kernel, so after going for work I' ll do a make menuconfig to check driver aviability). And just for curiosity... It will have dial-up tone? If I have to go nostalgic I' d rather experience the full thing.

Thanks in advance

#2 2012-03-16 16:24:45

David Batson

Re: Installing and set-up a dial up connection with an USB modem

You might try wvdial.  It should do the job.  If you use KDE, kppp is another good alternative.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wvdial

#3 2012-03-16 17:50:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Have you identified an ISP that still offers analogue dial-up service? I doubt if any around here do that anymore.

#4 2012-03-17 20:43:01

vladimir_1922

http://www.freeukisp.co.uk/about-dial-u … access.htm

It is the first result googling "free dial up uk", but there is quite a bunch out of there. I only need to look and choose. In Spain at least, I didn't had to pay (just the call rate, wich was free for local calls, so yep, free)

I use the temrinal, and when in X, fvwm95, so I assume wvdial is for me.

Thanks for the quick answers

Last edited by vladimir_1922 (2012-03-19 09:48:33)

Board footer