You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 14:17:11

swiergot

NetworkManager/nm-applet stopped working suddenly

Yesterday I powered on my computer only to discover that the wireless connection was no longer working. Here are some facts:

• "iwlist scan" is showing all networks correctly

• so is "nmcli con list"

• while nm-applet is not

• a wired connection is working perfectly (and nm-applet shows it)

• there were no package upgrades on the day it stopped working

nm-applet displays errors like this on the console:

* (nm-applet:1135): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Flags' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/1033: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

Please assist.

#2 2012-03-26 14:33:36

quasifilmie

Re: NetworkManager/nm-applet stopped working suddenly

If I google the error your getting it seems this a known bug. I recommend uninstalling networkmanager, purging networkmanager config files and then reinstalling.  Also, networkmanager is out of date on Arch -- probably won't be for long but the new release may have fixed your bug.

#3 2012-03-26 17:45:35

swiergot

Re: NetworkManager/nm-applet stopped working suddenly

All I could google were relatively old bug reports and problems always appeared after upgrade of packages. Could you please point me to the reports you found?

Anyway, I tried your suggestions and it didn't help, but before that it worked for a few minutes and stopped again. It's very frustrating that it started happen for no reason, if I wanted that kind of "surprises", I would use Windows...

I assume it's not a hardware problem since the scanning itself is fine. But maybe I'm wrong. I will try the latest NetworkManager.

Thanks for help.

EDIT: The latest NetworkManager did not help either. I have uninstalled it and installed wicd, it's working great.

Last edited by swiergot (2012-03-26 19:14:52)

Board footer