You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-27 07:55:46

zoqaeski

[SOLVED] Scan for wireless networks at boot

Lately I've been making extensive use of public wifi hotspots (libraries FTW), as mobile broadband is simply too unreliable to give me a persistent (and cheap) connection.

Is it possible to use some combination of netcfg and wifi-select (or similar tools) to scan for wireless networks at boot?

I've already got entries in rc.conf for my mobile dongle and automatically detecting ethernet connections, but it's pointless adding entries for whichever wireless profiles I might use as searching for these and discovering they don't exist just needlessly slows the boot process, whereas running something similar to wifi-select at boot (with a timeout so an unattended boot won't wait for me to make a selection) would avoid this.

* Obviously I could just wait until the system has booted and then bring up the interface I wanted manually, but generally I only reboot my system after updates, and I only download updates at a wifi hotspot, so I was hoping to automate something here.

Last edited by zoqaeski (2012-03-28 12:11:21)

#2 2012-03-27 09:46:04

lucke

Re: [SOLVED] Scan for wireless networks at boot

Isn't net-auto-wireless or net-profiles with menu what you want? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ne … omatically

#3 2012-03-28 12:10:58

zoqaeski

Re: [SOLVED] Scan for wireless networks at boot

That wasn't what I was thinking of, but it'll do just nicely. I must've overlooked it in the wiki =/

Board footer