You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-29 21:16:58

h4xx0r

ATI Driver Installation Problems

I just installed arch on my laptop running ATI 4650.
I have added the [xorg111] and the [catalyst] repositories in the pacman.conf.
everything went smoothly and even the packages got updated. however, when I am trying to run xfce (gui), I notice errors in logs that are caused by the drivers. This is because I havent compiled the drivers yet into the current kernel version. The thing is, I am new to this hardcore linux and if someone could politely explain it to me how I can compile the drivers instead of giving me a link of the arch ati catalyst wiki, I would highly appreciate that.
I currently have installed catalyst and catalyst-utils (around 31mb). I just need to know what to do and how to do it further.

#2 2012-03-30 00:11:23

whatshisname

Re: ATI Driver Installation Problems

The current version of Xorg is unkind to ATI drivers.  The solution is to install an older version of Xorg.

Here's a thread that discusses the issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137538

There are others in the forum as well.

I haven't tried the catalyst drivers.  I just stuck with the radeon drivers for the old laptop I have where I experienced this problem.

Since you did a brand new install, you'll have to run out to one of the "extra" repositories mentioned in the thread above to find an older version of Xorg.

Don't freak out about re-installing Xorg.  You just did it once. :-)

Good luck.

#3 2012-03-30 06:50:32

h4xx0r

I already installed the xorg 11.1 instead of the 12 version.
If you look at my thread, you notice that I said I added [xorg111] repository in the pacman.conf file.

Now what next?

#4 2012-03-30 14:34:17

Lone_Wolf

you say you are using the [catalyst] repo, are the drivers from that repo not build for current kernel ?

If so, you got 2 options :
- wait for the [catalyst] repo to be updated / contact the maintainer of the repo and ask him to update

- build the drivers yourself from Aur

do you have experience with building aur packages ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer